Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:55 PM

329 posts, read 586,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
The only people hurting the republican party are all the current republicans. Bush Jr, Cheney, and Mccain aren't helping either.
No question. Many need to clear out. The Republican party needs to realize that the Neoconservative sold them a shoddy bill of goods. Alaskans can start to do their part to rectify the damage done by electing Sean Parnell in the primary in August. We're gonna have a blue flood on our hands anyway; Alaska does not need to turn blue. Young's gonna make it hard though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 07:58 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
You really must think Alaskans are stupid to give up 38 years of seniority in the House and start all over again. As long as power in the House is determined by seniority, Rep. Young will have the office for as long as he wants it.

As to your blatantly bogus information, as I have repeatedly pointed out (this is the last time, so try to remember it this time), your figures for the amount of federal funding Alaska receives includes 14 military bases, 2 National Missile Defense stations, HAARP, numerous NOAA and FAA sites, and well over 100 million acres of federal lands the BLM manages in Alaska. Since you are obviously unwilling to be honest about your numbers, and have a very convenient memory loss every time I point out your deliberate lies, this thread is over as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:14 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyorr9 View Post
No question. Many need to clear out. The Republican party needs to realize that the Neoconservative sold them a shoddy bill of goods. Alaskans can start to do their part to rectify the damage done by electing Sean Parnell in the primary in August. We're gonna have a blue flood on our hands anyway; Alaska does not need to turn blue. Young's gonna make it hard though.
Now I like Young even more!

Old 07-03-2008, 08:28 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You really must think Alaskans are stupid to give up 38 years of seniority in the House and start all over again. As long as power in the House is determined by seniority, Rep. Young will have the office for as long as he wants it.
Yup, and the same with Stevens. As far as I'm concerned he can stay in the Senate until he keels over (which hopefully won't be for a long time - knock on wood).

Old 07-03-2008, 09:12 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times
folks, threads like these need a zero response. personally, I think user2 is back.

they don't live here, they don't work here, they don't struggle to get by here.

and yet we seem to have to defend our existence.

let it go, we've been played........

Old 07-04-2008, 03:19 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,654,362 times
[quote=AK_Photographer;4330514]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch
You really must think Alaskans are stupid to give up 38 years of seniority in the House and start all over again. As long as power in the House is determined by seniority, Rep. Young will have the office for as long as he wants
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post
Yup, and the same with Stevens. As far as I'm concerned he can stay in the Senate until he keels over (which hopefully won't be for a long time - knock on wood).
Exactly!

Consider that I am probably more "liberal" than virtually anyone else posting here. I rather like Ted Stevens. Don Young should have been ousted within his first two terms... but it would be crazy to give up his seniority now! It makes no difference how quaint he is, that seniority is valuable!

The real problem that we've had with our congressional delegation is that we kept Frank Murkowski in there for 20+ years. He should have 1) never been elected, or 2) run out of town on a rail at the end of his first term. Instead we had the dumbest junior Senator in existance, and now we have to pray daily that Stevens lives to be 110 years old so that Lisa Murkowski can gain enough seniority that we won't be pounded into the stone age within 6 years of Ted Stevens' last breath. (Not that Lisa Murkowski is ever going to equal Stevens either, but she is, unlike her father, at least within the realm of reasonable.)

Old 07-04-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
folks, threads like these need a zero response. personally, I think user2 is back.

they don't live here, they don't work here, they don't struggle to get by here.

and yet we seem to have to defend our existence.

let it go, we've been played........
Who is user2??? It's me, the same arrogant lower-48er as I was when I started this thread.
YouTube - TPMtv: Young Bites Back
Don Young with regards to the Coconut Road scandal, "I don't know what changes you're talking about, and I'm not going to discuss those changes."

When asked about how many jurisdictions he's being defended in, Don Young Replies, "I have no idea. You're making this all up." When asked if he thinks he should respond to these questions (regarding various scandals hes involved in) he replys, "Absolutely not. Because it's not my prerogative to answer to people that have nothing to do with it; that's you."

Listen, if Don Young wasn't such a wonderful, hardworking, honest public servant, I would never have posted this thread. Some treat this like its an affront to THEM. It's not. One of the other responses indicated that I'm some kind of liberal!!? Again, rarely will you find someone more fiscally conservative than me. Don Young makes anyone who defends conservative ideals vomit. As evidenced by how he treats his interns, he thinks he's a king. You guys may love him; outside Alaska the guy is a joke.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:46 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Like a said before, this "babyorr9' is someone from Alaska stirring the political pot of some Democrats in Los Anchorage. Anyways, Stevens had been the "porker of porks" in Congress until recently, but let me tell you that he doesn't compare to Murtha. Just look at the "earmarks" Murtha is involved with, and how some of his relatives are making money in Iraq.

Something else: Stevens and Young may have gotten in a little trouble recently, but both have done quite a lot for Alaska directing moneys to Federal and State projects. Did you know that because of Stevens and Al Gore, coupled to its former director, IARC was founded. IARC is the largest global international research center in the Northern hemisphere. Also, because of Stevens there are supercomputers at UAF. These computers are used by the USGS and National Weather, as well as the military, and all sorts of government agencies. The supercomputers are also used to analyze the so called "global warming" data collected by IARC scientists. Even NASA is actively involved in tests programs at the U.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-04-2008 at 10:57 AM..

Old 07-04-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Like a said before, this "babyorr9" is someone from Alaska stirring the political pot of some Democrats in Los Anchorage. Anyways, Stevens had been the "porker of porks" in Congress until recently, but let me tell you that he doesn't compare to Murtha. Just look at the "earmarks" Murtha is involved with, and how some of his relatives are making money in Iraq.

Something else: Stevens and Young may have gotten in a little trouble recently, but both have done quite a lot for Alaska directing Federal to State and Federal projects. Did you know that because of Stevens and Al Gore, coupled to its former director, IARC was founded. IARC is the largest global international research center in the Northern hemisphere. Also, because of Stevens there are supercomputers at UAF. These computers are used by the USGS and National Weather, as well as the military, and all sorts of government agencies. The supercomputers are also used to analyze the so called "global warming" data collected by IARC scientists.
Please, think what you will about my political affiliations. I'm as red as it gets. Both men have, as I have been repeatedly told throughout this discussion, done great things for Alaskans. And, that's not what is at issue. Perhaps those things are necessary. While I would rather have funds from your own taxes and debt be used to fund projects in Alaska (the same as I would in NC), I'm willing to concede that there are necessaries that are better accomplished through public funding. Again, I point to Young's earmarking prowess and unabashed attitude towards those earmarks. On the topic of John Murtha, his defense earmarks are the most outrageous in the Senate, no doubt. I simply don't broach that here because this is the Alaska forum, and he wasn't given an award by taxpayer organizations for his efforts. 'Least not yet.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:09 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
babyeeore, if the bridge gets build and you are visiting your friend in Wasilla, would you drive all the way around or take the bridge? What would happen if you or one of your family members flew to Ketchikan and the ferry taking them across to the town sank and they drowned, would you think otherwise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska