Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 06:13 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I didn't pay a bloody dime for my hybrid and never had a better friend in my life.

The hell with this "purebred this and purebred that" bs.
Tried to rep ya but said I gotta spread it around. I agree with you Met. I've had purebred and mixed breeds of all kinds. My mixed breeds were just as smart, loyal, protective and loving as any of the purebreds I've had. We have a purebred Pekinese who actually thinks she's a rottie and a mixed bull dog. Luv um both!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 06:16 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
I can certainly understand why someone would get attached to a particular breed, but with all the unwanted animals that are put to death every day it simply seems selfish and irresponsible to keep letting your dogs pop them out. One or two litters to help preserve the breed is understandable but...

Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 PM

319 posts, read 963,572 times
Default mutts

my dogs not a mutt shes purebred white shepard & rott well ok ok shes a mixed breed hows that?

Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I would ask if you have ever owned one, but not too sure I would even believe your answer. As I've stated before I own/breed Giant Alaskan Malamutes and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about them and their persoanlly observed abilities.
Of course you have nothing but good to say about them...and they are great dogs...but you sell them also; it's in your best interests to hype them.

Quote:
I'm seriously studying the next dog we'll get. I'm leaning more toward a Great Pyrenees or a cross of one. I have always wanted a Malamute, but don't the first thing about them. And to be honest, after reading repeatedly (sorry DreamChaser8) that they are dog aggressive AND the fact they are SO expensive, I doubt I'll ever get the chance to own one!
Check out the Malamute rescue linky I posted on the previous page.

They can be dog aggressive, yes.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:30 PM

319 posts, read 963,572 times
Default rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I can certainly understand why someone would get attached to a particular breed, but with all the unwanted animals that are put to death every day it simply seems selfish and irresponsible to keep letting your dogs pop them out. One or two litters to help preserve the breed is understandable but...
i always go there for pets ive had my dog for 11yrs so dont get there to often.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
BUT...I'm right back to my original problem. I want / need a "guardian" dog & I know nothing about Malamutes. NOT that I wouldn't be willing to learn, I'm just wondering how well she would do alerting us to a bear / moose.
If I wanted a dog primarily alert me to bear/moose, I'd get a little yapper.

There is a lot more to bear/moose protection that the right dog. I will not take mine off leash out there where it might be an issue. He might get us both killed. Other dogs with other temperments might not.

It's more important to learn to become extremely aware of your own surroundings and to make a fair amount of noise if you're out there than it is to have the right dog. If you're mostly going to be around the base though, it shouldn't be much of a concern.

Quote:
Incidentally, Malemutes are huskies.
Yep; "husky" is a generic term, and I'm sure that you, at least, know the origin of it.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:39 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
My barkers are good warning.. early-alert system...and so right about on a leash...moose are scary, but I think they also know a threat or not (if not cornered in a moose mind?) I have gotten too close (not smart,because between her and calf), but regular moose and even with a calf, and she just watches me...but no dogs with for sure...and could have easily taken two of mine out...they don't know when to quit, but would have died protecting...too much of a chance..not into sacrificing dogs.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
My barkers are good warning.. early-alert system...and so right about on a leash...moose are scary, but I think they also know a threat or not (if not cornered in a moose mind?) I have gotten too close (not smart,because between her and calf), but regular moose and even with a calf, and she just watches me...but no dogs with for sure...and could have easily taken two of mine out...they don't know when to quit, but would have died protecting...too much of a chance..not into sacrificing dogs.
Mine got into a bit of trouble with a mother moose when he thought that her calf looked like a good playmate.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconscious View Post
my dogs not a mutt shes purebred white shepard & rott well ok ok shes a mixed breed hows that?

Beautiful.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:54 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Oh my goodness, I see some humor in that!
My apologies oh great one!!!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/akbushcop/eskimofloyd-1.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by stiffnecked; 03-01-2009 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska