Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:36 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,973 times

Advertisements

Nephler You are rude to say I am a 'loonie" because I entered a discussion with you. I know you said "most" but I said "all" because most isn't good enough. You seem to be quite an opinionated person, and yet you have the audacity to berate PETA.

And though you may have the resources in Alaska you also have a particular mindset and cultural attitude as every region does. It is a good thing to have outside assessment. Good for the animal or constituency being defended, that is. Probably not so good for vested interests.

And if you wish to reply I welcome it. But try to be polite. Everyone with a different point of view isn't loonie and, in fact, I may just be capable of teaching you something.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 PM

218 posts, read 518,374 times
I had a german shepard when I was a kid. It died and no one came over to my place to investigate it....Dogs die, they have a life span like any other living creature. The officials of the race and veterinarians are doing an investigation, people who have no business in the racing sport should keep their noses out. There's already a set of investigators looking at it, I bet PETA just wants to get their hands on the dog's corpses to make some wacked out video and profiting off the emotion of the deaths of these dogs.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:43 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
And here is a problem with Greyhound racing?
After the dogs racing career is over, most go to very loving homes.
If that were true, why do you think they would outlaw the sport in the state of Massachusetts?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 PM

3 posts, read 4,844 times
Default Right is Right and Wrong is Wrong

I don't care if you current legislation covers offical events, animal neglect and abuse is intolerable and must be punished.

These dogs are supposedly in peak condition for the event.
Obviously, the musher either brought poorly prepared dogs or pushed them passed their abilities.

Either way, he and the event need to suffer for their negligence.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,102,533 times
I do believe those that believe in PETA really should do some research. I refuse to do it for you, but there are plenty of articles online and off for you to peruse at your leisure.
For instance...and this is something anyone can read and verify...PETA is against anyone owning any sort of pet and does not differentiate between good owner or bad. The thing is, they ironically tend to euthanize 85% of the dogs and/or cats they acquire. Makes all the other organizations, groups, societies euthanizations pittance against that. Again...PETA is out only for themselves...not for the animals.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,225,839 times
Tama

The vets who do the work on the sled dogs are not part of a vested interest at all. They are there for the dogs, not the racers or part of a racing team. One of the things that they do is check the dogs at stops along the way and remove any dogs from a team that have any medical problems whatsoever. Footpad injuries, cold injuries, poor circulation, and any other problems that might cause the dog further problems on the trail. They are not hired by race teams or by the Iditarod committee.

Really.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
But if those dogs froze to death the owner should face criminal charges.
Wow, did you read the story explaining what happened to the dog that froze to death?

Quote:
Rookie Lou Packer, a physician from Wasilla, believes his dogs died of hypothermia after his team was trapped out in 45-below temperatures and howling wind in the Innoko River country. Conditions were so extreme, Packer worried for his own life as he huddled with the rest of the dogs awaiting help to break open a trail buried deep in drifted snow.

He could feel ice begin to form under the skin of one of the dogs before its death, he said, but there was nothing he could do to help the animal.
Number of dog deaths on Iditarod Trail is troubling: Alaska News | adn.com

The conditions of the trail deteriorated to the point that he was stuck and waiting for help to come, I'm sure he's devastated losing two dogs already and to accuse him of animal cruelty is just ridiculous. Criminal charges...? come on, get real.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Screw PETA
Quote:
People Eating Tasty Animals
Quote:
I didn't say all...try reading. Man, just the word peta brings out the loonies eh.
This is a link to an article written in a Colorado paper regarding the recent deaths and treatment of the dogs. Following that is a response from an Iditarod kennel worker and musher. That woman, Alice White, is in a far better position to know exactly what goes on with the dogs than anyone whose only recourse to debate is insult and sarcasm.

As Ms. White says, some people should not be mushing. Some people should not even have the honor of taking care of animals.

PETA: Racing dogs to death on the Iditarod Trail : yourtake : ColoradoDaily.com Boulder, CO (http://www.coloradodaily.com/news/2009/mar/04/racing-dogs-to-death-iditarod-peta/ - broken link)

Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,018,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Good, I'm glad PETA is bringing it to people's attention. If dogs died in the race then the owners should face cruelty charges.

The Iditarod is no better than greyhound racing.
And what about those flyball tournaments? Or what about AKC dog shows? Why are those not considered abuse?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Instead of assessing the responsibility for the freezing to death of loyal loving dogs you place your ire against PETA? So maybe they are over the top sometimes. They do good work often.
Are they worse than those who exploit and abuse defenseless sled dogs?
If the Idiatrod is a humane sporting event it should welcome, and you should as well, the observations of humane groups. When there are problems they need to be addressed and if none exist that needs to be confirmed.
I'll assess responsibility...it was nature! Abuse defenseless sled dogs? Wow you have no idea what mushing is about clearly. Do you also protest horseback riding through the mountains?

Lastly...PETA is not a humane group, they're a propaganda machine disguised as an animal rights group. They brainwash and overexaggerate sensational stories to feed to the zombies.

The racing officials are doing their job investigating, PETA is just trying to rally the zombies, apparently judging by this thread it's working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska