Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times

Advertisements

It's a small world after all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 01:23 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,361,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
It's a small world after all...
This time working at Polynesian Resort Disney

Disney's Polynesian Resort | Walt Disney World Resort

Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,361,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
Rance: bob blockus has proof. Since born 63. I guess bob blockus took over doing all the ideas for Walt Disney and the Walt Disney Company. Everything from talking sound bites... The Small World Clock has numbers on side. Number 2 stands for Walt Disney and Bob Blockus. Number 74 stands for start up Microsoft. 48 Stands for Wishing Age of Bob Blockus. And 50 stands for bob blockus age 50 as KING. Rance, Thanks for asking. Sounds solid to be true? Video of Small World Clock. With the display side of numbers. In about 5 Months from now. Bob Blockus can start Wishing.
YouTube - ‪Small World Clock Disneyland Fantasyland‬‏
Someday I want to own Chevrolet Avalanche truck. From before truck concept idea. Maybe This will become my first wish at age 48. Wishing age of bob blockus. I am at the age now 47. December is birthday month..

Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times
Well hell I wonder when my wishing age is? You know what I would wish for? A shiny new King Ranch F-250 with the 6.7L turbodiesel, except it would have a manual transmission, which they don't freaking make on most F-250's anymore! And to add to that wish, I would wish that all car companies would offer all their models in manual. One other thing I've been lusting after is the 2011 F-150 with the V6 EcoBoost engine. Tows 11,500 and gets 17/23 mpg city/hwy. What an engineering marvel, making a V6 work better than a V8.

Anyway, I was wondering something today as I was mowing and weed-whacking in the near-90˚F heat: do people in any part of Alaska have lawns, and how far into the state is it common to see, if at all? I would assume most people in the interior wouldn't have a lawn since it would only be a lawn for a few months, but I really have no idea, so that's why I'm asking. I imagine people on the Kenai Peninsula, in SE, or in the Valley might have them though. What's the deal on that; what is lawn maintenance, Alaskan style?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:58 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,243,334 times
There are lawns here in the Mat-Su. Some are quite well groomed with lots of watering, and others, well, I guess you really can't call them lawns, just over grown weeds with a path to the house.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:00 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Well hell I wonder when my wishing age is? You know what I would wish for? A shiny new King Ranch F-250 with the 6.7L turbodiesel, except it would have a manual transmission, which they don't freaking make on most F-250's anymore! And to add to that wish, I would wish that all car companies would offer all their models in manual. One other thing I've been lusting after is the 2011 F-150 with the V6 EcoBoost engine. Tows 11,500 and gets 17/23 mpg city/hwy. What an engineering marvel, making a V6 work better than a V8.

Anyway, I was wondering something today as I was mowing and weed-whacking in the near-90˚F heat: do people in any part of Alaska have lawns, and how far into the state is it common to see, if at all? I would assume most people in the interior wouldn't have a lawn since it would only be a lawn for a few months, but I really have no idea, so that's why I'm asking. I imagine people on the Kenai Peninsula, in SE, or in the Valley might have them though. What's the deal on that; what is lawn maintenance, Alaskan style?

Lots of people have gorgeous well maintained lawns front - sides and back all over Anchorage!

No offense; your assumptions are a bit misguided. Lawns exist in all parts of Alaska. Even in the Arctic in some areas.
Fairbanks, Juneau and all over this state. This is a very green state. People think it is all white & frozen everyplace.

I gave this rig away for free to a homeless person in Anchorage in 2003.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:12 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times
Well, I have never seen a picture of any village in the Arctic where people had lawns; it's always brown shots in summer and white in winter. Seems like ground like that would be difficult for grass to grow in. The reason I thought there wouldn't be many lawns in the interior is because, well, the spring thaw doesn't seem to actually happen until May, and even then, it seems that a lot of people's yards turn into ponds for some period of time from overflow, snowmelt, and other things. And once it dries it's only a few months til the freeze comes back. Not that I'm saying you're lying; you live in Alaska after all, just explaining the line of reasoning behind my thinking.

I certainly don't think it's all white and frozen everywhere all the time, but admittedly, it is all white and frozen for a good part of the year. But really, the soil conditions and the general growth pattern of timber stands and other vegetation leads one to think that the vegetation does not grow as vigorously as it does in more southern climates. I mean, you hear a lot of people talking about how difficult it is to grow things, and I've even heard that growing any sort of fruit or veggie in the interior is next to impossible.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,286,577 times
What would people in urban/suburban Fairbanks have if not lawns? A dirt patch? Most neighborhoods I've seen in towns look a lot like neighborhoods anywhere else, with maybe more toys (snowmachines, 4-wheelers, snow plows, toy haulers, etc.) strewn about. Outside towns it's a lot like rural areas most other places. Some people maintain lawns, some people have natural vegetation. The Interior doesn't have that much longer a winter than we have down here. They have much faster transitions between seasons, though. Compare the averages in Fairbanks and Valdez, and how they change throughout the year (also make note of the huge difference in precipitation!). They have five months where they average low is above freezing. That's plenty of time to grow grass. Ours is kinda weedy right now but at least the dandelions are pretty well gone. This town looks like it cultivates them on purpose in June. Moss is a problem in lawns here as well. Most people keep things looking decent, which can be challenging when it's drizzly for a week and the grass is growing like crazy but you can't mow. When it's nice out that's what you hear all over town: mowers, weed eaters, the occasional chain saw (often coming from our house). I heard a mower at 10:30pm a couple weeks ago.

And as for nearly-90F, cry me a river. It's been 100 where I'm from for a month and it won't get below 90 until at least September. When they get your weather for a day or two it's called a cold front. :P

Old 07-12-2011, 12:20 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,434 times
Quote:
Well, I have never seen a picture of any village in the Arctic where people had lawns; it's always brown shots in summer and white in winter. Seems like ground like that would be difficult for grass to grow in. The reason I thought there wouldn't be many lawns in the interior is because, well, the spring thaw doesn't seem to actually happen until May, and even then, it seems that a lot of people's yards turn into ponds for some period of time from overflow, snowmelt, and other things. And once it dries it's only a few months til the freeze comes back. Not that I'm saying you're lying; you live in Alaska after all, just explaining the line of reasoning behind my thinking.

I certainly don't think it's all white and frozen everywhere all the time, but admittedly, it is all white and frozen for a good part of the year. But really, the soil conditions and the general growth pattern of timber stands and other vegetation leads one to think that the vegetation does not grow as vigorously as it does in more southern climates. I mean, you hear a lot of people talking about how difficult it is to grow things, and I've even heard that growing any sort of fruit or veggie in the interior is next to impossible.
Well I do not know about that. Alaska has lots of farm land(s) and lots of products are grown, homegrown up here. No we can't grow corn. Unless you have one heck of a green house. but your assement or reasoning is way off my friend. But there are many others that can vouch for what I am trying to explain. There are a few places (small ) in Kotzebue that have lawns. Well grommed and taken care of.

Hell we even got palm trees here in the Arctic

Old 07-12-2011, 12:21 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,286,577 times
Quote:
I mean, you hear a lot of people talking about how difficult it is to grow things, and I've even heard that growing any sort of fruit or veggie in the interior is next to impossible.
Whoever you're hearing that from, stop listening to them. The Interior is the place to be if you want to grow veggies. There's a decent amount of farming in AK, given the relative lack of private land, especially in Palmer, Kenny Lake, and Delta. Even down here on the gloomy coast we grow plenty of things. I'll take some pics of my garden for you, and the raspberry bushes that surround our backyard (after I mow the lawn of course, it's a little shaggy since we haven't mowed in nearly a week). I swear, I'd never seen so many bumblebees in my life as those raspberries attract. Lots of work for them.

Last edited by tigre79; 07-12-2011 at 12:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska