Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Most if not all of the troublemakers were from the valley and Anchorage.
Why does that not surprise me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 05:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Why does that not surprise me...
Once in March--not that long ago, a couple of years I guess--I was in this little store/cafe type place in the upper Su with three other women. An idjit from Anchorage came in and said that he and his buddy were snow machining and he lost his buddy. He sort of described to us where they were at and then said he was going back to Anchorage. He asked us for a cigarette and I told him that we wouldn't be giving any smokes to a jerk who would leave his friend out there. It was almost dark and around zero.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:17 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,389 times
I think there needs to be a larger police presence at these events when stuff like this happens. They don't have to ban drinking at these festivals or cancel the festival itself, but instead make themselves present and crackdown on reckless behavior. I hate it how a few idiots can ruin fun events for everyone else. In San Francisco there was the Castro Halloween Street Party. They closed something like 6 blocks of streets only to foot traffic for hundreds of thousands of people. 95% of people would be in these elaborate/funny/slutty/cool costumes just having fun and taking pictures with other people. There was a fight that broke out and a guy pulled out a gun and shot the guy. Now the event that was there every year for I don't even know how long is canceled forever. Instead of ruining it for everyone, police should just really crackdown on these people and make an example out of them. The people who caused problems at this specific event were also thought to be non-locals of San Francisco.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Once in March--not that long ago, a couple of years I guess--I was in this little store/cafe type place in the upper Su with three other women. An idjit from Anchorage came in and said that he and his buddy were snow machining and he lost his buddy. He sort of described to us where they were at and then said he was going back to Anchorage. He asked us for a cigarette and I told him that we wouldn't be giving any smokes to a jerk who would leave his friend out there. It was almost dark and around zero.
What a scumbag...did they find the person? I hope if they did they told him what his "buddy" did...

Old 07-14-2009, 05:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
What a scumbag...did they find the person? I hope if they did they told him what his "buddy" did...
Yeah; my friend's husband and another guy went out after him and found him pretty easily; they figured they knew the trails better than the troopers would. The guy was real scum and used to come up every weekend. He actually had the nerve to show up again; the place where he usually rented a room was suddenly too full to take him

Old 07-14-2009, 05:24 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,389 times
Quote:
Yeah; my friend's husband and another guy went out after him and found him pretty easily; they figured they knew the trails better than the troopers would. The guy was real scum and used to come up every weekend. He actually had the nerve to show up again; the place where he usually rented a room was suddenly too full to take him
lol

Old 07-14-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Good.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:28 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Personally I'd like to see the the locals gang up and kick the tar out of these roving bands of punks. Now that would have been worth reading about.
I've never seen this kind behavior at Sterling's Moose River Raft Race...but something like this, the locals would be all over it. We've even gone so far as holding town meetings at the local senior center and worked out plans, and now have a volunteer roving patrol car that cruises the neighborhoods and subdivisions. After a ration of thefts (which the guys were caught) we decided something needed to be done before things got worse. We've got alot of campgrounds and a couple bars and get a variety of people in town. When the fish are running there's a bunch of them. Acting the fool will bring the locals followed shortly by the troopers.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:07 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
There use to be a lot of music festivals all over the State and most closed shop due to the violence that seemed to come from the outside of the area. Anderson still has a good Bluegrass festival, but they also have a good presence of off duty cops from the Air Force base at Clear, and Trooper asists to keep the trouble makers at bay.

But the cost for keeping it family friendly has been getting so expensive to get in with your family, I haven't gone in years.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:27 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,779,774 times
I'm sure there is also liability issue. An organizer should make sure a reasonable safety is provided for all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska