Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 10:15 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Mark...glad to hear the move towards the "remission cancer club" are coming along well by the sounds....there is sooo much they don't tell you when going into and thru cancer treatments that you'd like to slap some of them upside the head!! hahaha....the Vit. D low levels...everyone I know including myself are several years later fighting to keep the levels up....seems one of the things you will be taking a supplement for the rest of your life...ya feel sooo much better when the level is up there....just keep a sense of humor about life and the way you feel and remember there are so many other things you could have that could be worse than cancer....like trapped in a body that doesn't work but a great mind....we can walk, talk, take care of ourselves...awesome!
Thanks,

It is funny how you don't know about something until it hits you broadside, then you find out more than you cared to know about it. I read all sorts of books on the subject, checked the Internet and so forth.

The best part of the treatments though, is the people at the clinic where the radiation was done and all the other levels that led there, they were very comforting for something they did day in and day out. I was more of the exception, where many that I saw there getting radiated were past a cure, but more of a panic to live a tad longer.

That sadness is hard to shake, one guy was telling me all about his "Bucket List", each day he was there before me and when I got there we would chat over a jigsaw puzzle in the waiting/recovery area where you could just sit and relax of sorts before going home or being treated.

Normal levels of the PSA is below one, mine was at about 34 then (.07 now), which is bad, this guy was 2400 which I didn't even know was possible.

I got off easy by most standards, the other poor souls have really a hard road to deal with ahead of them.

That is why testing it so important early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 10:19 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyear View Post
What age were you when you were diagnosed? And when did you first start having it checked?

My husband has his prostate checked yearly since he has been 45 yrs old. He is now 51 yrs old. His father has been having problems with peeing and stuff, and the doctor has given him medication to allow him to pee freely, or free'er. He has his PSA checked regularly.
I think with the new AUA guidelines it is sooner now, especially if a family history...a lot of people need to pee freely, women included with anticholenergics...overactive bladder, and gosh I know...cut back the caffeine....Dad is probably on Flomax or Uroxatral if not and/or anticholenergic....the issue is to have men have it checked earlier in life, then you don't get the degree Mark had....You have side effects whether radiation, prostatectomy, seeds,...watchful waiting if lucky....all with side effects whether before or after of incontinence or erectile dysfunction....

Old 04-10-2010, 10:23 PM

400 posts, read 469,127 times
holy shiat granny, my mind just blew with that post. ohhh, it ain't looking pretty to get older

Old 04-10-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
What age were you when you were diagnosed? And when did you first start having it checked?

My husband has his prostate checked yearly since he has been 45 yrs old. He is now 51 yrs old. His father has been having problems with peeing and stuff, and the doctor has given him medication to allow him to pee freely, or free'er. He has his PSA checked regularly.
I had the standard "Finger" tests done for years, and there was nothing odd or out of order. After the blood test came back positive, they did a sonogram on me and found the Prostate which normally was about 30 CC's or so, was about 50 CC's, most Prostate Cancer cases, the Prostate is about 200 to 300 CC's in size, which causes urinary issues, of which I had none.

Both my dad and uncle on my mom's side had Prostate Cancer, so my odds of getting off the hook were slim. When I was 53 (now 55) I was first tested with a blood test, which is the PSA. From there, it was figured that I had the cancer from 12 to 14 years after they did a biopsy which is called a Gleason Score of which I was an 8 out of the scale of 10. It is a very slow growing cancer and when caught early is by far the easiest to cure, mine is/was on the line, and time will tell for that.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
holy shiat granny, my mind just blew with that post. ohhh, it ain't looking pretty to get older
Well for what it is worth, you being a gal, you have a whole slew of gautlets you women have to contend with verses what men have.

Getting old isn't for the weak at heart and faint of mind...

Really sucks in the morning when you have to walk around the bedroom when you get up to find all the parts that fell off the night before...

Old 04-10-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I had the standard "Finger" tests done for years, and there was nothing odd or out of order. After the blood test came back positive, they did a sonogram on me and found the Prostate which normally was about 30 CC's or so, was about 50 CC's, most Prostate Cancer cases, the Prostate is about 200 to 300 CC's in size, which causes urinary issues, of which I had none.

Both my dad and uncle on my mom's side had Prostate Cancer, so my odds of getting off the hook were slim. When I was 53 (now 55) I was first tested with a blood test, which is the PSA. From there, it was figured that I had the cancer from 12 to 14 years after they did a biopsy which is called a Gleason Score of which I was an 8 out of the scale of 10. It is a very slow growing cancer and when caught early is by far the easiest to cure, mine is/was on the line, and time will tell for that.
Are you telling me Mark that you weren't tested for your PSA until you were 53 years of age, and with family history of prostate cancer?

Old 04-10-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Well for what it is worth, you being a gal, you have a whole slew of gautlets you women have to contend with verses what men have.

Getting old isn't for the weak at heart and faint of mind...

Really sucks in the morning when you have to walk around the bedroom when you get up to find all the parts that fell off the night before...
Yes, I am a female, and I have had a hysterectomy. So I do understand.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:38 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:

You had a high Gleason score...and you did the right thing with the seeds and radiation...this is very controllable with detection even at where you were at....in 7 years of typing urology, I have not seen a really bad outcome with my docs...if caught and treated...You had a high Gleason score and did well with your treatment, hopefully with the Lupron (minus hot flashes if you have them...know that well ) your PSA will drop to undetectable and after a while you can stop the shots....

Old 04-10-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Are you telling me Mark that you weren't tested for your PSA until you were 53 years of age, and with family history of prostate cancer?
No, I was "Checked" in the normal fashion, but not properly and like I said, there were no symptoms of the Cancer for "Normal" cases.

When you don't know about what is being done or not done to you, you don't have any questions.

When the Doc said one day, "Why don't we do a PSA Blood test", I had no clue to what that was for.

Do now...

Old 04-10-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
(minus hot flashes if you have them...know that well ) your PSA will drop to undetectable and after a while you can stop the shots....
Um, no. I get the whole female hot flash thingys... Really sucks too.

Have a whole new respect for what women have to go though during the "Change of Life"...

Am really looking forward to the end of the shots too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska