Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:08 AM

23 posts, read 81,874 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was hoping someone here could help me. I am from upstate New York and have always been interested in wildlife and law enforcement. I was applying endlessly to jobs in New York, Vermont, New Hampshire etc. They were conservation officer jobs, state trooper jobs, and park ranger jobs- but no one is hiring or it requires state testing and examining. It is extremely hard to get into one of these jobs here. It seems as though I have found a good fit with the Alaska Wildlife Troopers. I applied online and I will be mailing my background packet in tomorrow.

I am mainly wondering what are the odds of getting in? When I applied I said I would do either State or Wildlife but I preferred wildlife.

The process is much different from what I am used to. Usually, you apply- take an entrance exam and score a ridiculously high score even to be looked at- polygraph- background- physical testing- and more. It seems as though with Alaska there is just the application- background- physical testing?

Now, I am willing to move to Alaska in a heartbeat to accept this job. However, I cant afford to fly back and forth for an interview process. What will happen? Will I even be required to do that?

Help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:31 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthaball88 View Post
Hello,

I was hoping someone here could help me. I am from upstate New York and have always been interested in wildlife and law enforcement. I was applying endlessly to jobs in New York, Vermont, New Hampshire etc. They were conservation officer jobs, state trooper jobs, and park ranger jobs- but no one is hiring or it requires state testing and examining. It is extremely hard to get into one of these jobs here. It seems as though I have found a good fit with the Alaska Wildlife Troopers. I applied online and I will be mailing my background packet in tomorrow.

I am mainly wondering what are the odds of getting in? When I applied I said I would do either State or Wildlife but I preferred wildlife.

The process is much different from what I am used to. Usually, you apply- take an entrance exam and score a ridiculously high score even to be looked at- polygraph- background- physical testing- and more. It seems as though with Alaska there is just the application- background- physical testing?

Now, I am willing to move to Alaska in a heartbeat to accept this job. However, I cant afford to fly back and forth for an interview process. What will happen? Will I even be required to do that?

Help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks all!
Yes of course you'll have to take a physical endurance test. I'd say your odds will be that of what your scores and interviewing comes out to. I don't see how you'll get by without coming here for the interview/testing, that will be impossible for this kind of job. They would not interview over the phone for this type of work plus there is the testing, background checks, etc. You'd probably want to call the State Troopers and ask these questions.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:51 AM

Did you note this link under recruitment? Scroll down and it gives the physical requirements which are required when arriving into their training. And those are the minimum required at that time. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Expectations - Public Safety Training Academy

Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
I'd be wondering if the academy provides housing. I've been looking at real estate in Sitka & its very spendy.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:55 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
I would say your chances of hiring on with the troopers here in Alaska are fairly good, considering that they still have recruitement ads airing on TV, and in newspapers here.

However (assuming you do get hired) be prepared to get "volunteered" for less desireable job locations (like in remote villages) for your first several years...the more seasoned and veteran troopers get first dibs at choice job assignments (which does make sense)...

Bud

Old 10-08-2009, 01:01 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
http://forums.officer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143

Ask in here.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:27 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
The trooper academy provides housing while in Sitka. It's dorm style so no families.
You will have to fly up here during the testing and interview process. Start saving now.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:47 PM

23 posts, read 81,874 times
Thanks for information! I have been training for a few police academies around here. However, It is so hard to get in and even after you score well the odds arnt very good that you will actually be hired. I am in very good physical shape so that doesnt worry me too much. I also knew that while at the academy I will be housed in a dorm.

Basically I was hoping to hear that if I do fly out for the testing and interview it would be well worth it with good odds of a job opportunity to follow the academy.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthaball88 View Post
Thanks for information! I have been training for a few police academies around here. However, It is so hard to get in and even after you score well the odds arnt very good that you will actually be hired. I am in very good physical shape so that doesnt worry me too much. I also knew that while at the academy I will be housed in a dorm.

Basically I was hoping to hear that if I do fly out for the testing and interview it would be well worth it with good odds of a job opportunity to follow the academy.

That's the problem with interviews and testing , you can never be sure of the outcome. As another poster said, start saving your money; it would be well worth it if you got the job and that's what you want. BTW what part of upstate NY are you in?

Old 10-08-2009, 03:03 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Samantha have you looked into any federal LEO positions? I know the SS is hiring but they seem to want everyone in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska