Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 03:35 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
It must be like that song, "the girls all get prettier at closing time" and I quess just add the word "guy" to it....must be the same with "sense of smell" also. LOL.

I'm actually pretty attractive and have had some of those problems with women who only had a few drinks and just met me. Once they get drunk though look out because the butt grabbing and attempts to take my clothes off starts. The fact that I make a lot of money doesnt hurt either, I'm sure, but women cant tell that until they get to know me. I've seen the same things happen to pretty women in Bethel where the guys swarm them like a pack of wolves...granted women deal with this everywhere, men its more or less Bethel or certain parts of the world where there is a surplus of women like UNC Chapel Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 04:31 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,613 times
Haha! Yes I saw first hand in Alaska towns not villages how more aggressive the woman are with the men. Taking the tourists out of the equation. I think a male strip club would work! I came up to visit a male friend and it was really funny to find out some of his good female friends have thought he was gay knowing him since 95 because he never took up any offers in the past and hadn't had a woman up there while working seasonally!!

On the other hand one of the gals took her fishing boat into Cordova and had 3 marriage proposals in a week because of single woman with fishing boat!

Question for the alcohol... if allowing to purchase now does that put into more education or AA help in anyway along with it? Or does it just allow it. I can understand the issues geezz even down here in the lower 48 in winter in my small town the only social place to get out of the weather is the bar. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post

Now I don't drink... but there have been significant studies to prove that when you give people alchol and then teach them how to handle it instead of just taking it away... you get better results. The drinking age in the UK is 16... however the amount of accedents due to drunk driving is actually higher in that age range (16-21) in the United States.

I agree with this to an extent, but it's overlooking genetics as well as some of the cultural conditions that Starlite mentioned. Some people simply can not handle alcohol at all due to genetics. My lovely 1/2 Aleut niece who died last year was one of them.

Europeans overall do seem to have a healthier outlook concerning alcohol.

I don't think this is going to be a good thing for Bethel, though. I can understand them not wanting to be told by the state how to live, though, which is what I understand this is partially about as opposed to them just wanting to drink.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-10-2009 at 05:12 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 05:51 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,731,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I agree with this to an extent, but it's overlooking genetics as well as some of the cultural conditions that Starlite mentioned. Some people simply can not handle alcohol at all due to genetics. My lovely 1/2 Aleut niece who died last year was one of them.

Europeans overall do seem to have a healthier outlook concerning alcohol.

I don't think this is going to be a good thing for Bethel, though. I can understand them not wanting to be told by the state how to live, though, which is what I understand this is partially about as opposed to them just wanting to drink.
so sorry you lost your niece to alcohol...very sad indeed.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:34 AM

251 posts, read 706,429 times
I'm not particularly fond of Bethel becoming wet, but I don't drink. I also work in a field that will have to deal with the negative consequences of this law passing. However, I am a huge supporter of individual liberty and understand that this is one less restriction facing people, allowing them the right to exercise individual choice and free will.
Time will tell I'd suppose but I hope Bethel the best with this one.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:19 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleenificus View Post
I'm not particularly fond of Bethel becoming wet, but I don't drink. I also work in a field that will have to deal with the negative consequences of this law passing. However, I am a huge supporter of individual liberty and understand that this is one less restriction facing people, allowing them the right to exercise individual choice and free will.
Time will tell I'd suppose but I hope Bethel the best with this one.
Free will and individual choice is also what makes going to the funerals of your neighbors who die from either their own use of alcohol or as a result of others using it so painful.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 AM

251 posts, read 706,429 times
Very true (and very sad) Floyd. I have seen many of my own friends in dire circumstances because of their love for alcohol- not a pretty thing. I hope Bethel fares better than I believe it will.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:00 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post
Now I don't drink... but there have been significant studies to prove that when you give people alcohol and then teach them how to handle it instead of just taking it away... you get better results.
Oh wow.......really? You mean all the patient's I've treated with end stage liver failure, ascites, varices and hepatic encephalopathy only needed to be shown how to "handle" it. Sheesh. What was I thinking????

I hope I am never one to toss intellectual arguments in our happy forum, but this has me stunned.

I worked in drug and alcohol tx in the lower 48, and the compulsion and devastation I've seen from alcohol here surpasses all my prior experiences.

There are studies upon studies to the differences in metabolism in alcohol and it's residual by-products in certain members of society. Putting that aside, if we had figured out it's root causes by now, we'd have cured it and this thread would be moot.

I have a immense awe and respect for the challenges our natives and other residents have when immersed in the final compulsions of drink that, luckily, the rest of us have been spared. Cunning, baffling and powerful.

Bethel's experience with this is yet to be seen. But the path of least resistance with easier access to alcohol only makes the choice for any treatment seem the less likely path.

Dawn

Old 10-11-2009, 01:15 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
I've never heard of a ramp stud! Sounds...inclined.

Sounds like a "Bush" version of a "Lot lizzard"

Old 10-11-2009, 01:38 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
In the 8 years of working in the same place next to a Alcohol Treatment center, you see the same people in and out of the center year after year. Have they learned anything? To my eye, nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska