Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 01:19 AM

457 posts, read 1,016,581 times

Advertisements

Is this Lyoness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv1Kv...ayer_embedded#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 02:18 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
Roadhouses haven't been doing too well lately, there are a lot for sale....and no takers (at least that is what I have read.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Roadhouses haven't been doing too well lately, there are a lot for sale....and no takers (at least that is what I have read.

With the possible exception of that one on the Parks with a funny name and the cool t-shirts...

Old 01-15-2010, 02:22 AM

471 posts, read 1,062,604 times
I just wanted to tell you while I am a guy, I used to be a really nervous shy guy who would never even talk to a girl let alone make a move on one who I didn't already know...

I now have done a full 180 (err 360? or would that bring me back to where I started? but I am not going backwards, I am going forwards, so its more like a 180 but where I started backwards and now I am going forwards...) and I will approach a girl, tell her she has pretty eyes, and then walk away... just to let her know. Other women I will talk with, and then get their phone number.

Always do what you want to do, because rejection is short, and its not like the person is going to yell out "OH MY GAWD!!! SICK!! GET AWAY FROM ME!!" ... well there was that one time.. but I tripped.. and there was some grabbing on accident and yeah... since any grabbing by you would probably be welcomed (considering you like guys, and all guys think a like, which contrary to what we may say... we do... guys are very simple, and dumb.. forgive us).

My point is (which us young people like to call the TL;DR -too long didn't read-) is that you need to just do stuff. Don't think. Do.

EDIT: hopefully I am not too late on this, I just read the first post and replied, I didn't bother looking at timestamps or reading responses :P

Old 01-15-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post
I just wanted to tell you while I am a guy, I used to be a really nervous shy guy who would never even talk to a girl let alone make a move on one who I didn't already know...

I now have done a full 180 (err 360? or would that bring me back to where I started? but I am not going backwards, I am going forwards, so its more like a 180 but where I started backwards and now I am going forwards...) and I will approach a girl, tell her she has pretty eyes, and then walk away... just to let her know. Other women I will talk with, and then get their phone number.

Always do what you want to do, because rejection is short, and its not like the person is going to yell out "OH MY GAWD!!! SICK!! GET AWAY FROM ME!!" ... well there was that one time.. but I tripped.. and there was some grabbing on accident and yeah... since any grabbing by you would probably be welcomed (considering you like guys, and all guys think a like, which contrary to what we may say... we do... guys are very simple, and dumb.. forgive us).

My point is (which us young people like to call the TL;DR -too long didn't read-) is that you need to just do stuff. Don't think. Do.

EDIT: hopefully I am not too late on this, I just read the first post and replied, I didn't bother looking at timestamps or reading responses :P
I think this fits in nicely to the conversation, for both topics.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:40 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I just spit pizza all over my keyboard thanks to that comment...thank you very much
sorry Deb!!! hehehehe

Old 01-15-2010, 01:13 PM

89 posts, read 168,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
I truely believe, unless you are top shelf, you have to be there in person. I've been sending resume's and applications up for 3 years, really, and if you aren't upper management they will hire local. If I had a dime for everyone who said "call us when you hit town, maybe we'll still have an opening". But you can't blame the employers, I would do the same in their shoes. I think I'm just going to have to try and hold on till spring again and make the tough choice to close my eyes and leap. If I were younger it probably wouldn't be so scary to do it that way. I guess I just need to look myself in the eye and say "what happened to your guts, what are you waiting for!".
I came up with a very good relocation,signon bonus and furnished housing free for 4 months and its still been an adjustment. I wouldn't come up here without a job because even with the hospital making it so easy it still was stressful. Thats my opinion, I just wouldn't do it without a job lined up or lots and lots of money in the bank.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoistoFairbanks View Post
I came up with a very good relocation,signon bonus and furnished housing free for 4 months and its still been an adjustment. I wouldn't come up here without a job because even with the hospital making it so easy it still was stressful. Thats my opinion, I just wouldn't do it without a job lined up or lots and lots of money in the bank.

Were you recruited for the job or did you have the goal of moving to Alaska and then finding a way to make your dream a reality? I hope Fairbanks is treating you nice, you are just in time for the really cold stuff!

Old 01-15-2010, 05:36 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Quote:
With the possible exception of that one on the Parks with a funny name and the cool t-shirts...
Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn?

Old 01-15-2010, 05:57 PM

89 posts, read 168,003 times
Quote:
Were you recruited for the job or did you have the goal of moving to Alaska and then finding a way to make your dream a reality? I hope Fairbanks is treating you nice, you are just in time for the really cold stuff!
I was a traveler in my field and decided I wanted a perm job, I found this one listed on the Banner site, applied,was flown up for an interview and offered the job. I had decided I wanted to settle in Alaska or on the coast of NC and this is where I got a job first so here I am.
So far I really like Fairbanks, lots of friendly people. Its been really cold, I found out that I need to buy better gloves because at -30 my fingers become almost numb after being out just a few minutes. And I hear the forecast is for colder temps....brrrr....but I knew what I was getting into before I came here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska