Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:09 AM
d0n

7 posts, read 34,052 times

Advertisements

Troy actually has one of the highest crime rates in the country.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

There was another drug related, drive by shooting in Troy last night. It's really getting out of control. I read the following on the times union today...

With a crime rate of 56 per one thousand residents, Troy has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 18. Within New York, more than 99% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Troy.

Importantly, when you compare Troy to other communities of similar population, then Troy crime rate (violent and property crimes combined) is quite a bit higher than average.

For Troy, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Troy is one in 150.

Analysis shows that Troy experiences one of the higher murder rates in the nation when compared with cities and towns for all sizes of population, from the largest to the smallest.

A lot of the crime that takes place in Troy is property crime. In Troy, your chance of becoming a victim of a property crime is one in 20

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2014 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 10:27 AM
d0n

7 posts, read 34,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Daddy View Post
My wife is from Lansingburg (North Troy) and I am from Waterford. We've always called Troy the Troylet for a reson. It just got worse and worse as years go by. The crime/drugs/punks spread from some of downtown and just north of Hoosic St all the way up to the old Troylet itself...Corliss Park.

Heck...they're even all over Cohoes Island and Cohoes now too.

Yeah...40 years ago...when the Hells Angels were around...at least they kept them in check.

Bottom line...there is no part of Troy that I would want my 20 year old daughter walking through at sundown. And during the day...not many places. At least Albany and Schenectady kept their trash contained. Troy let it spread. They even had ads in Penn Station in NYC for people to move to Troy.

You want to know the best part of Troy? Outside of it!
Bingo. We have a winner.

All the unemployed 13-25 year old punks that you're seeing everywhere in Troy (and other places) are a result of our overly helpful welfare system... which basically encourages low income young women to have as many children as they want... which they cannot afford.

Their kids have kids and then their kids have kids and so on and so on.

All these young girls popping out babies as soon as they're fertile (You see young teens pushing baby stollers everywhere in Troy!)... that they can't afford to even feed has created a huge population of "broke-arse punks" who won't work because their "parent" didn't. Instead, they sell drugs, steal and rob to supplement their meager welfare income.

IMHO, that is the problem with Troy.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:41 PM

255 posts, read 487,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0n View Post
Bingo. We have a winner.

All the unemployed 13-25 year old punks that you're seeing everywhere in Troy (and other places) are a result of our overly helpful welfare system... which basically encourages low income young women to have as many children as they want... which they cannot afford.

Their kids have kids and then their kids have kids and so on and so on.

All these young girls popping out babies as soon as they're fertile (You see young teens pushing baby stollers everywhere in Troy!)... that they can't afford to even feed has created a huge population of "broke-arse punks" who won't work because their "parent" didn't. Instead, they sell drugs, steal and rob to supplement their meager welfare income.

IMHO, that is the problem with Troy.
Wow, I....don't even think I should be responding to this comment. It's insane. I will say "Yeah, that damn welfare system helping people live like kings!"

Old 07-27-2014, 11:36 AM

4 posts, read 7,033 times
Just posted the info below in another forum. Hope it's helpful if you still have questions. Re: Crime - most of the violent crime is centered in particular neighborhoods, most notably in North Troy/Lansingburgh. East side along the Pawling Ave corridor is the safest. If you look at crime maps for 12180 (Troy) and 12181 & 12182 (N. Troy & Lansingburgh), you'll see the patterns. Be sure to focus in on the East Side (Pawling Ave aka Route 66).

If you are looking for true urban walkability (as in, able to shop, recreate, work, etc. without using a car), then you can't beat Troy! I know, because I've been doing just that for 10 years now and haven't owned a car for the last seven. I'm a short bus ride from downtown and work and can also walk to work. There is a good grocery store on my busline, and our Saturday farmers market and/or healthfood store downtown provides the rest of what I need. There are plenty of social opportunities and community events - said farmers market, monthly "Troy Night Out" event, lots of local restaurants and pubs and passionate local folks putting together great events. Plus, a smattering of yoga studios and arts-oriented shops, microbreweries, etc. Most all our businesses are home-grown, so you'll meet lots of true believers here. Trojans are social and friendly! (A stark contrast to Albany, in my view). You can see a lot of what's going on here by following Facebook pages - here's a list of suggested pages maintained by some of the local movers and shakers:

The Lucas Confectionery
The Grocery
ArtCentric
Arts Center of the Capital Region
Troy Waterfront Farmers Market
Troy NY is better than you realize
Downtown Troy Business Improvement District

Old 08-21-2014, 05:52 PM

12 posts, read 19,443 times
An important aspect of Troy that convinced me to invest was the number of amazingly interesting people living in and loving Troy. I love my house but I love my neighbors more. They are astounding.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:10 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
The bad thing about Troy is the people living in it. All the decent people left. There's only riff raff, vagrants and hoboes left. Until they get chased out and are replaced with a better class of people, it's just going to be more of the same.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,619 times
Default Old Images Die Slowly

There's a whale of a lot of ancient history in these precincts.
For example, many posters have lambasted Troy for its
'rampant' crime. That's very tired and simply wrong in
the larger picture.

Things change. There are many parts of Troy--Pawling-
Pinewoods Avenues on the city's east side come to mind.

That area is about as safe (and has been over the years)
as it gets in America anywhere today. The reason is pretty
obvious: Well-kept owner-occupied homes, a tony prep
school like Emma Willard, proximity to RPI and cool
architecture are among the many reasons for the
existence of this bubble. Some sweet digs in historic
settings make the area especially desirable.

Of course, there's some crime within the bounds of Troy
but the lion's share of street issues is confined to the
N. Troy area (Lansingburgh) which amounts to a Tale of
Two Cities in one. It's been the recipient of a boat load
of bad press. But even that area, with its problems,
has been off the news lately.

It's quite a hike from the east side and downtown which
is undergoing a palpable renaissance with myriad shops
and neat places to eat and hang out. And more are
coming so I read.

For those who are harboring ancient images and wives
tales of Troy at-large, it's time take another look and
stop hammering Troy on basis of old..

This reminds me of what happened when I lived in
Boston. The crime-infested south end replete with
many living a dissolute life, began turning and the
locals missed the turn. Property values there along
with the high-end residents make the area a very
desirable place to live. Again, the locals missed the
boat. They can no longer even afford to live there.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:52 PM

4 posts, read 11,960 times
Hi everyone! I am new here and I learned a lot from reading a lot of these comments. I noticed the early days of this thread has been more of a warning than an invite but from what I been reading lately it seems that Troy may be finally on the verge of becoming a grand place to be a part of. I'm not going to fool myself here. I'm still going to learn as much about Troy as I can before we move to the area. I have friends who told me that there is an artist colony forming, or at least trying to? Maybe some of you can shed some light on that. Usually when a strong artist community develops it seems to improve areas in need. I seen it happen in parts of Chicago and I know that Troy is nowhere near the size of Chicago but I am hopeful.

My wife was born in Albany and her father was born in Troy back around 1922. It was a far different place I'm sure. I did get a chance to visit a year ago and driving around I did notice people walking around who looked like they needed help. I can't really judge the place until I get out to walk around. You folks helped with some information as far as crime and despair that goes on there. A lot of it has been consistent information and another friend who was just there says that Troy is still on the upswing but I also know that it takes a certain kind of person as a group to go in and make the kind of change that is needed to improve Troy.

I love the east coast, always loved the city and upstate itself. Been to the mountains a number of times and I find the whole area just beautiful. We would like to be a part of Troy's development and I am glad to be hear and looking forward to learning more about what's going on there here on this board. We hope to move up that way within a year from southern California where we are living now. It's been an interesting journey and we want to settle down somewhere. We talked a lot about the mountains and the city but somewhere in the middle of it all is where we want to be. I think Troy is an interesting place with lots of history and it has the chance to be a great place to live if everyone where to take the initiative. I grew up in Chicago and so I have a lot of experience with city life and I have always been a New York fan thanks to my mother and father. Looking forward to collaborating with you folks. I want to hear good things but I also want to hear the truth.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:19 PM

327 posts, read 398,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBird View Post
My wife & I and our 2 young kids (7mo & 3) are considering Upstate. Troy,NY appears to have beautiful architecture and a quaint small town kind of feel.

Yet on many of the upstate Albany area posts Troy seems to be mentioned as a place to avoid at all costs.

I haven't seen any posts which focused on Troy, so I wanted to see if any of you local area residents could give me the inside scoop:

Is Troy something other than it appears at first glance? It seems like a nice place. What specifically is wrong with Troy?

Thanks in advance.
Nothing quaint about Troy...its a cr8phole all around. Rough people in that part of the area.

Here is how I rank Albany/Schenectady/Troy (my rankings change based on "feel")...

1. Saratoga
2. Niskayuna
3. Guilderland
4. Burnt Hills
5. Delmar
6. Scotia
7. Clifton Park

Old 06-07-2015, 03:48 PM

4 posts, read 11,960 times
My experiences in crime ridden areas is usually result of a lack of development. It's one thing to increase a police force but in the end if a community develops the area then crime goes way down. I seen it happen in other places. Crime in any place is a given. It's always been that way in every city and town. The real question is 'are there any institutions being developed that coincide with development that counter the crime rate in certain areas of Troy?' I'm researching the crime in the Troy area right now and many of the crimes being committed are said to be much higher than the whole states averages. That isn't a very good picture of Troy at this time. There appears to still be a crime ridden element in Troy but at what level it's on is the question as I continue to research. I'll try to report my findings here as I go along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area