Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 8,066 times

Advertisements

You've got a whole bunch of misinformation in hyperbole here. New York State capital area is rated at the top of the 5 least stressful large metro areas. We have 1 car which we use for big shopping and trips. Here in downtown/south Troy I walk to the "health" store, dentist, doctor, fantastic farmer's market ( Troy Market ), along the river, out for gelato, at least six choices for dinner,
NYS theatre, Sage College & the famous RPI. I feel safe here and enjoy the outdoors activities nearby including the Adirondak park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 06:28 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBinky View Post
You've got a whole bunch of misinformation in hyperbole here. New York State capital area is rated at the top of the 5 least stressful large metro areas. We have 1 car which we use for big shopping and trips. Here in downtown/south Troy I walk to the "health" store, dentist, doctor, fantastic farmer's market ( Troy Market ), along the river, out for gelato, at least six choices for dinner,
NYS theatre, Sage College & the famous RPI. I feel safe here and enjoy the outdoors activities nearby including the Adirondak park.
I don't know if I'd call it a "large" metro area, maybe a "midsize" one. To me large is something big enough to have one major league sports team of some sort.

I do agree with a lot of your points about the area, and liked Troy back in my RPI days (late 80s), but even then I thought it seemed like a very small-scale version of the Bronx and when I visited recently (first time in 10 years) seemed more so now. But one place doesn't make a whole area in either direction.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 14,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteandpuff View Post
RPI is a fabulous College and anyone would be honored to be accepted there. As for the 'staircase' the APPROACH was built around 1914 or earlier, it is not 'new' and has been used for years as a shortcut to downtown. RPI has bought most of the real estate in that area and either level and rebuilt or used in some shape of form. Troy is a great place to live, I have been here my entire life and been to many others. EVERY town or City has it great and not so great spots. Your neighborhood is what you make it. The WORST thing about Troy? THe influx of Absentee Landlords trying to make their fortunes on the backs of the Troy residents. We are trying to run them out of town just as quickly as possible!
Thanks for the replies about the RPI area. My son is one step closer to attending RPI; he was chosen as his class's Rensselaer Medal winner so if he decides to attend he will get $15K a year for 4 years toward his tuition. He really liked the school when we visited and, being a mom, I just wanted to check out the area. He is a junior so he is just starting his college search, but RPI and Troy are definitely at the top of his list so far.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 AM
d0n

7 posts, read 34,059 times
harrybinky troy isn't really a large metro area or even a medium one for that matter. It's small ....and rundown mostly.

Look at city hall. The place is falling apart so badly that residents can no longer park in the majority of the HUGE parking garage under city hall (that they paid for years ago)! That's inexcuseable. Why weren't repairs being made as they were needed? Why was city hall allowed to fall into such disrepair and why was it simply deemed "off limits" instead of fixing it?

The "fantastic farmers market" you mention is very small (not many vendors) and ULTRA-EXPENSIVE compared to grocery stores. I went this past weekend. While the atmosphere is fun for a short time, the prices are just outrageous.

To parents thinking about sending their kids to RPI... do it! It's a great school and that area is far removed from the ghettos.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:39 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times
I had to go to Troy once on business. I have been many places in my lifetime. I'm sorry, but I thought Troy was a DUMP. (I say that in the literal sense also because they have some environmental issues going on). It was not worth the business prospect. And I will promise you I will never go back if you paid me. Just my $.02 worth.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,896 times
Beauty in TROY...
As a 40 year resident and a business owner, who has travelled extensively, I am here to tell you that TROY is Beautiful and some of the greatest people live here!!

I am a home & Business owner on the Upper East Side of Troy. The old Victorian homes are still gorgeous...great schools surround this area, including RPI. Russel Sage & Emma Willard. Everything you need is within walking distance or if you prefer, take the children for a bike ride. Less than 5 minutes away is Historical downtown. Home to beautiful architecure, great nightlife, shopping and dining! Oh, and did I mention right on the river!!

Don't miss the opportunity to visit...you will want to stay!

Ps: A few movies have been filmed here both downtown and the Upper East Side, that must mean a little something?!

See you soon!!

Old 04-13-2010, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,634 times
I am 34 yrs old and was born and raised in Troy. I will admit Troy is run down and there is crime. The thing everyone seems to forget about is, if people keep moving out, they are just making more room for the criminals to move in. And to the person who said the mayor is actually trying to revitalize Troy, LMAO! He hasnt done anything to help the city out, except make it worse then before. In my honest opinion the best part of Troy to live in would be North Troy aka Lansingburgh or the east side.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,627 times
I feel that Troy doesn't incorporate technology like it's high-technology businesses and RPI does. It would be nice to see Troy become a city that Google offers it's high-speed internet access to in order to grow its businesses: [url=http://www.troygle.org]troygle.org | Troy, NY: Where History, Culture and Technology Meet[/url]

Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 AM

4 posts, read 15,612 times
Read and comment in the NEW THREAD for current views of TROY, NY
TROY = Visit, Live, Rent, Invest

IMHO many people in the capital district (Albany, Schenectady, Troy) need to put away their opinions from 1960 through 1995 and COME AND SEE the City of the American Industrial Revolution and magnficent Victorian Architecture and New Urban Living.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 15,612 times
from the NEW THREAD of current view of Troy, NY
"Troy, NY is an Amazing OLD city and it REMAINS a wonderful place to come to visit, live, tour.
IT IS 2010 in TROY, NY. TAKE A NEW LOOK:
Substantial, handsome buildings that are good for another 100 years.
Many buildings and neighborhoods available for renovation and renaissance.
Compact, accessible living with good bus and train and air transportation.
Rural countryside just 10 minutes from the river bank.
Diverse schools, universities, theatres and museums.
Supporting infrastructure of hospitals, civic organizations, churches.
SOLID ECONOMIC BASE AND EDUCATED CITIZENS
Four season climate with excellent plentiful water.

HISTORY: ......."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area