Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 PM

216 posts, read 376,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Troy is so beautiful to look at. It is built on a hillside, has terrific architecture, and is an important place for American history. But.... it is scary downtown, whereas Schenectady and Albany are fun downtown. Sorry but I wouldn't flush myself down the Troylet if I were you. Downtown Schenectady and Albany are harmless though.
I lived in center square Albany. It's beautiful but it gentrified and is now
expensive (for upstate NY). Homes that cost $150K five years ago are worth
$300K now. When we bought in Albany for $150K it was a no brainer.
Huge brownstone, 12 foot high ceilings, marble fireplaces, walk everywhere
too good to be true.

Troy is where Albany was when we bought. It can only go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 12:20 PM

34 posts, read 70,201 times
Default Troy is where it's at.

I am a somewhat still young professional, 34, a single woman. I lived in NYC for 3 years before moving to the capital area for a job. I looked at houses in downtown Albany and in Troy. I'd heard a lot of bad things about Troy, but also had the sense that some people may have the wrong idea so I decided to look into and find out for myself. I ended up buying a beautiful late 19th century Victorian row house in the historic district of Troy August 2007. I have since only grown happier and happier with my decision as I continue to experience Troy.

Troy is still a bit gritty, but definitely up and coming. Artists abound and the year-round Saturday farmer's market draws in a pleasant crowd. Troy's events draw in the kind of crowd I like to be around, not like the rowdy beer-drinking crowds that are drawn to Center Square events in Albany, but more of an artsy/interesting crowd. River Fest is my favorite event, but the Victorian Stroll is a close second.

I personally wouldn't want to raise kids there at this stage in Troy's development, but I do see the occasional nice young couple on the street with a stroller. The home owners are very proud and very dedicated to improving Troy. There are neighborhood watch meetings once a month. The police are working with residents to improve blocks. There are neighborhood picnics in Washington Park a couple times per year. Pot-lucks, other neighborhood events. Parades. I know of two downtown neighborhood newsletters: The Little Italy newsletter and the Washington Park newsletter.

When I walk down the street I see people that I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley. I'm just careful not to walk down dark alleys. Seriously, you still have to be careful in Troy. I am on the neighborhood watch email alert, so I receive notifications when there is trouble. I know which buildings are owner-occupied and which are absentee landlords... or strive to know.

Here's the good news: I can walk to buy wine, to 4 different fantastic coffee shops (there are more than 4, but four I really like), walk to get my hair cut on River Street at the organic hair salon... walk to an architectural parts store to find old doorknobs or hinges or a clawfoot tub to match my house... walk to the farmers market, walk to the wonderful local bookstore (Market Block Books, Welcome to Market Block Books)... walk to several music venues (Revolution Hall, http://www.revolutionhall.com/; (broken link) the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall, Troy Savings Bank Music Hall)... walk to vintage clothing stores.... the jewelry store to change a watch battery.... to the post office and to the DMV. Not to mention there are many wonderful restaurants (indian, lebanese, hungarian, mexican, panini, fine dining, etc).

I know of two large projects in the downtown area: upscale condos on the River near Revolution Hall and Jose Malone's Mexican Restaurant (The Mooridian Lofts), and upscale apartments (The Conservatory, The Conservatory - Troy, NY Apartments), which was renovated by people who had a hand in the positive changes that happened in Saratoga Springs. These developers see the potential in Troy, and so do many others, and a lot of us are banking on it. I can't promise you it's a sure thing, but I can promise you that I and many others are serious about it.

The next exciting new thing in Troy is the food co-op slated to open in the spring of 2008. Troy Community Food Coop

And don't forget Troy Night Out!

Troy Night Out!

Enjoy Troy.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:14 PM

39 posts, read 112,788 times
Default Good place for RPI students with young kids?

So, where do RPI students live who are married and have children? We're considering a PhD program at RPI, but we want to find out more about the area to decide if it would be a good fit for our family.

We are open to renting or buying. We'd like good schools. We're not hung up on living in the nicest area, but safety is a big concern (especially after reading posts here about high crime, drugs, etc.).

Appreciate any thoughts!

Old 04-16-2008, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 16,426 times
Default Troy Info

I grew up in Troy, and have lived many places since then including overseas. While I have not lived in the area for some time, I still have friends there and rent the home I grew up in. Troy is a small town. It has changed some since I lived there. With the modern highway, there is easy access to Albany and more people are living there as a bedroom community to Albany. Neighbors in Brunswick work for the State and for GE in Waterford. Prices in Troy are cheaper than Albany. Both Troy and Albany have their problems. The good areas of Albany are Delmar, Altamont and Loudonville. The east side of Troy, Brunswick, and Averill Park, and Greenbush are the better areas for family. Brunswick has lower taxes than the city of Troy and a more country feel. Averill Park is country with lakes. Greenbush is great for proximity to Albany.
Traditionally, Troy is republican and Albany is Democratic. However as an academic community, some might argue differently. The better schools in Troy are School 18, 16, and 14.Tamarack and Averill Parks schools are supposed to be good, too. There are two high schools in Troy, the public school and Catholic Central in Lansingburgh. Some people in Troy send their children to private schools in Albany as another option.
If I were buying in Troy, I would look carefully at neighborhood and schools. Resale value in Troy is
less than Albany but Troy can offer a good cheaper lifestyle. Both towns have history and proximity to skiing, lakes, Saratoga, Tanglewood.
I am happy to answer any questions you have.You should know that I live in Chicago so my experience may not be as up to date as you might want.[mod]advertising[/mod]

Last edited by bellafinzi; 04-16-2008 at 06:12 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 26,528 times
I grew up in Troy and then moved to one of the suburbs - this was about 20 years ago. There was a rise in crime and drugs for awhile, but i beleive the tide is turning. There has been a great upswing in Arts and Antiques shops and studios. Plus there are a bunch of state workers working downtown now. There is a great amount of history and character in Troy - and if willing, great bargains to be found in housing which will pay off if you stick around for the revival.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 AM

42 posts, read 178,501 times
Hmm, I haved walked through downtown South Troy every night for exercise for the last 3 years, if it was dangerous, I would not walk there or I would have seen something by now. Initially it seems scary (different than suburbia), but eventually you get used to it. The only thing is that there is nothing to do or nowhere to shop, with the distance I cover. Does have a scruffy/gritty feel to it though. Over the last 3 years I have seen more upscale people and artists though.

Zyll <- X-Clifton Parker.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:52 PM

42 posts, read 121,747 times
It's a GREAT place to live.....If you like gangs and shootings, pollution, noise, traffic.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:51 AM

2 posts, read 26,528 times
I am not sure where the traffic comment would come from, it is not a big enough city to have traffic, and i guess the noise all depends on where you live, anywhere can be noisy. Not sure on the gangs - i don't live in the area anymore. They all seem like sweeping statements to me.
Saratoga - great place to live if you love the smell of horse poop, tourist traffic, and obstructed views due to the large hats.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:09 PM

42 posts, read 121,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupstate View Post
I am not sure where the traffic comment would come from, it is not a big enough city to have traffic, and i guess the noise all depends on where you live, anywhere can be noisy. Not sure on the gangs - i don't live in the area anymore. They all seem like sweeping statements to me.
Saratoga - great place to live if you love the smell of horse poop, tourist traffic, and obstructed views due to the large hats.
People get shot all the time just walking down the street in the middle of the afternoon. Traffic is bumper to bumper going down Hoosic St. Maybe 10 homes in Troy have over an acre of land for their kids to play on. Troy is the armpit of NYS.....Unless of course you like hookers and illegal drugs.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:42 AM

4 posts, read 23,523 times
Troy is the main reason Elliot Spitzer transported his prostitutes from out of state (STDs spread like wildfire when there are that many cheap ladies of the night out there). My boyfriend worked in Albany up until a month ago, he had a coworker/friend from Troy who is very proud of his criminal roots and his city. I am especially fond of his bullet hole tatoos on his chest they are so fascinating. However he insisted on sending his two young girls to private school and his experience in Troy's public school would not allow him to stand for his children going there. I just finished college in Albany in December of 07 and I refused to attend my graduation because they hold it in Troy. But indeed there are some very nice aspects (especially for the artist or the art prone) to Troy and they do seem to be trying very hard to improve it. I would suggest watching the local news online every day for a week, Fox 23 news, WTEN 10, CBS 6, Troy rarely misses a day for one reason or another whether someone was killed, something was robbed, someone was busted, or they are trying to rebuild. Also, the traffic is absolutely true, your better off to take the bus and sell your car, you will be stuck in traffic and you will NEVER find a place to park legally. I have much experience with the area but I am so glad that I live far away. But if you want a nice day for shopping or looking around Troy would be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area