Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:31 PM

18 posts, read 92,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkFiend View Post
So, where do RPI students live who are married and have children? We're considering a PhD program at RPI, but we want to find out more about the area to decide if it would be a good fit for our family.

We are open to renting or buying. We'd like good schools. We're not hung up on living in the nicest area, but safety is a big concern (especially after reading posts here about high crime, drugs, etc.).

Appreciate any thoughts!
How old are your Children? Also there are some great Private Catholic schools but Religion may be a concern, possibly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,776 times
I think JR-in-Troy had the best and most educated comments of this posting.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,222 times
Thought I would join this discussion, so I joined your forum... I lived in Saratoga Springs for several years in the mid 70's, enjoyed it greatly and have since returned a few times. Currently I am considering a possible move to Troy, assuming I can locate an plain old building ( brick ) that can be purchased and renovated for an Art studio and living space.
The drug scenes described are disturbing but I have methodically dealt with them successfully in other communities. The areas of encouragement I find may be the surrounding educationally diverse quality institutions, groups of genuinely progressive people ( artists and thinkers) , a proximity to a somewhat cultural city (Albany), nostalgia in architecture , parks in which to think and rivers over which to ponder. I have not seen Troy for 20 years however, it seems that it's interesting history and unusual feel may nurture new ideas in the arts and sciences as it has in the past. I will continue to follow the discussions and look for some subtle influence before making a trip to experience Troy once again.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,928 times
I have been living in south troy for almost 6 months. I don't like it very much probably due to the fact that i grew up in New Paltz; a very artsy, rural town with a lot of space. I love to drive so the wondy mountain roads are very nice there and it is a great place to raise kids. south troy is no joke. where I live, there are a lot of gang fights and a LOT of drugs. East Greenbush nor North Greenbush are bad at all. I work in Lansingburgh, right across the river from Waterford. I have walked the streets of LB at night and felt pretty safe. I guess it all depends on what kind of feel you are going for. Urban, rural, or suburbial.

overall impression

not too good

Old 12-21-2008, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,820 times
I moved to Troy 5 years ago. It's too darned friendly. If I want to get anything done, I walk through the alleys. Otherwise I have to deal with a friendly conversation or two on every block. There are too many parties! Every week-end is taken up with something tempting me away from housework and yardwork. You can't walk through town without tripping over a bloody community activist intent on making the town "better". It is also too darned beautiful. I waste way too much time looking out my windows and thinking how lucky I am. If there is anything right about the town, it flew over my head. Those who prefer isolation, belly aching, and general commiseration would probably do well to avoid Troy.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:17 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Street View Post
I moved to Troy 5 years ago. It's too darned friendly. If I want to get anything done, I walk through the alleys. Otherwise I have to deal with a friendly conversation or two on every block. There are too many parties! Every week-end is taken up with something tempting me away from housework and yardwork. You can't walk through town without tripping over a bloody community activist intent on making the town "better". It is also too darned beautiful. I waste way too much time looking out my windows and thinking how lucky I am. If there is anything right about the town, it flew over my head. Those who prefer isolation, belly aching, and general commiseration would probably do well to avoid Troy.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:51 PM

THANK YOU for posting that! Troy is full of wonderful places to live and wonderful people who live there. I am bewildered by the people who post to this Blog who state negative and derogatory things about Troy when they don't and never HAVE lived here! Makes me wonder about where 'they' live that the area produced such a negative person who has nothing better to do than comment on other area's living situations.

Tina

Old 12-22-2008, 02:54 PM

I suggest you join your Neighborhood Association and address whatever problem you have on your street with your Community Police Officer. Things like this happen when no one addresses the situation and lets it continue to happen. People sell drugs in 'upscale'' neighborhoods too, and many people 'do' drugs in the same.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,937 times
Troy is on my short list of areas throughout 6 states in which I'm considering relocating my business. I've been following it's ups & downs for about 20 years now; I think it's turn to shine is definitely on the horizon. The mayor has taken a very active role in maximizing it's potential - even if a few small steps at a time. Given the current state of US economy, the continual problems of NYS finances as well as the general condition of Troy & the surrounding upstate region, small steps are all he can do.

But it really does seem to be turning around...I predict a few lucky souls with patience & vision are going to reap big rewards down the road. Troy has the potential to be nationally recognized as both a mecca for artists and a vibrant "Main Street America" town. Google any main street initiatives or downtown revitalization projects & you will find small cities & towns t/o the US that are on the comeback from situations even worse than what Troy faces. It can be done, & I think downtown Troy will be a popular destination for unique shopping & dining as well as urban living. It may take 5 to 10 years, but I think Troy will find it's niche.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,011 times
This is a fascinating discussion to me.

I grew up in Troy in the '80s, when it was in decline--lost the stores in the Atrium, even the movie theatre, etc. I went to public schools (#18, THS) and took advantage of the proximity of RPI to take college classes as a senior. If you had asked me then if I would ever move back there, my response would be "HELL NO!"
Funny, but growing up in Troy I never thought of it as a city (and certainly not a big one).

Now I see hope for Troy--the farmer's market is known throughout the region for being wonderful, people come to Troy for the restaurants and cafes--and surely some of it is attributable to the fact that NYS located some of its offices in the old Atrium mall.

As for those that talk about getting shot and gangs and such--yes, there is an element of crime in Troy, but certainly no worse than other cities. I've visited family there for years and never been robbed, had my car broken into or been stabbed or shot. It all depends on which areas you frequent and what you're doing.

I am beginning to consider a move back to the area from NYC, and I don't rule Troy out as an option. No one is more shocked than I am to be saying so! I would have some concern with sending my kids to the Troy public schools, but Troy has a lot going for it these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area