Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Desert Sun, I have to disagree with you on this one. You are saying fans do not want to watch NM play teams like Co St and SDSU, there is more to it than that, They have to have a team that excites the crowd. It wasn't many years ago when Co St was rated in the top 25 nationally and in the 90s SDSU was. I do not think ABQ is nearly big enough to support any major league team, especially NFL> Yes it is a great American sport but there has to be a large base to support NFL> It isn't there and won't be for many years if ever..

NIta

Oh Im pretty sure we wont get any kind of professional team for years and years and years to come, ABQ is just a poor city, all Im saying is everyone I know is die hard NFL football fans,if we had a loosing team people would still go just to watch Dallas,Denver,Pittsburgh and some others when they come to town and considering the home games are only a few times a year people would come from all across the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
You can fill the stands and still not have a successful pro sports franchise. It also takes big corporate sponsorships. There just aren't enough big corporate headquarters in Albuquerque to sell out the box suites, etc. Many cities with pro sports franchises with many more big corporations suffer from this problem.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:52 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,863 times
i agree with Desert Sun: People would come from all over the state to see pro football games.

The fan base would extend far beyond the boundaries of Albuquerque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
considering the home games are only a few times a year people would come from all across the state.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
i agree with Desert Sun: People would come from all over the state to see pro football games.

There are not enough people in the entire state to support a football team right now..add to it, as dimono mentioned, you have to have the sponsorship and companies to buy those luxury suites..

This just isn't going to happen for many years..Someday, yes, not in the foreseeable future...

Nita

Old 03-04-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Oh Im pretty sure we wont get any kind of professional team for years and years and years to come, ABQ is just a poor city, all Im saying is everyone I know is die hard NFL football fans,if we had a loosing team people would still go just to watch Dallas,Denver,Pittsburgh and some others when they come to town and considering the home games are only a few times a year people would come from all across the state.
I agree with you, a few times a year people would come from every corner, but another thing to consider: at least our experience living in NM, as muchas all of us here are obviously advid sports fans there are many people in NM who are not football fans. We never lived anywhere with so few..I am sure part of that has to do with no real teams..

Nita

Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 AM

9 posts, read 20,740 times
I for one certainly hope nothing of the sort occurs. This city has laughable public transit and public services. I've never seen such grossly underfunded and underserved libraries among other things.

I've lived in cities with pro sports and the people always end up footing part of the bill by virtue of extra taxes, etc so that the pro franchise owners can build hugely profitable stadiums and luxury suites.

I'd much rather see the money the city would use to subsidize private profits of a pro sports team be used for things like making ABQ have better transit, more community gardens, public spaces, walkable communities, etc.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infragrrl View Post
I for one certainly hope nothing of the sort occurs. This city has laughable public transit and public services. I've never seen such grossly underfunded and underserved libraries among other things.

I've lived in cities with pro sports and the people always end up footing part of the bill by virtue of extra taxes, etc so that the pro franchise owners can build hugely profitable stadiums and luxury suites.

I'd much rather see the money the city would use to subsidize private profits of a pro sports team be used for things like making ABQ have better transit, more community gardens, public spaces, walkable communities, etc.
I do agree, that when stadiums are built and teams come to a city the tax paryers foot part of the bill, but that is where my agreement with you ends.
A sports team can bring a lot of revenue in as well. This doesn't mean I think Abq is anywhere near ready but I don't think your argument is valid. The issues are as different as avacodos and peaches..

Obviously you have just moved to Albuquerque and are not enthralled with the city..

Nita

Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,269 times
I doubt the NFL could get a big enough TV market share in this area to even consider Albuquerque.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 AM

9 posts, read 20,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do agree, that when stadiums are built and teams come to a city the tax paryers foot part of the bill, but that is where my agreement with you ends.
A sports team can bring a lot of revenue in as well. This doesn't mean I think Abq is anywhere near ready but I don't think your argument is valid. The issues are as different as avacodos and peaches..

Obviously you have just moved to Albuquerque and are not enthralled with the city..

Nita
Sports teams can bring tremendous revenues.....to their owners and players that is. Granted if you are in the business of owning a sports franchise then it may be very lucrative to you. For the rest of us who aren't tycoons or business moguls, it only means city money that can be used to better the infrastructure and culture is instead funneled upwards.

As for prospective jobs - if you consider some seasonal and low wage jobs to be an improvement - then by all means, bring in to NFL.

My opinion is just as valid as anyone else's here in this forum. I've lived here for years and know what I'm talking about.

What's in question is your seeming sensitivity to accurate criticism of Albuquerque's shortcomings. All cities and towns have their flaws and if you that ruffles your feathers then maybe you should stay away from threads where people actually express real experiences and opinions.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:34 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post

I wouldn't walk across the street to see any football game. That makes 3 people here that wouldn't go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque