Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 06:23 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

I just knew it had to happen sooner or later now that he's running for the U.S. Senate. He says its not delivering on what it promised so he's appointing a task force to look at scrapping it. Even though this is a political move by him i'll let him slide if he REMOVES these damn things. Anyway we'll see what happens....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 11:53 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,963 times
I hate Marty so much. He does his typical tax and spend liberal ways on these stupid red light cameras, and now is going to scrap them. More tax dollars gone to waste. Thanks Marty.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:53 PM

266 posts, read 1,333,807 times
No way I'm votin' for him, even if he DOES remove the cameras (which I'm sure is going to be as costly as installing them was in the first place).

Old 11-11-2007, 06:00 PM

266 posts, read 1,333,807 times
Actually, while we're on the subject, I have something of a dispute with my girlfriend to settle. Suppose that you are driving on an east-west street, and you cross a north-south avenue with the cameras (or the other way around - I'm thinking of the Wyoming and Academy intersection in particular), and you are speeding and/or run the light. She says that the cameras, though they are roughly oriented north to south, can still get you. I say they aren't angled in such a way that they could take a clear picture of your plate. Anyone able to shed any light on this little argument of ours? Much appreciation.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:33 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,963 times
I was under the impression that there were four cameras. However, I really have no idea.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:09 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
I was under the impression that there were four cameras. However, I really have no idea.
Nope....either east/west or north/south directions thru them. A while back on Bob Clarks morning show on KKOB 770 they had a show on the cameras and one thing that B.Clark said that he didn't like about them was that only certain directions thru the intersection were being scoped while others could run that same red light intersection going the direction the cameras weren't pointing and not get a ticket.

Also if unsure about which direction they are pointing you'll feel the ''Rumble Strips'' just before you go thru the intersection as they were mandated by the Legislature as a pre warning to the cameras.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:10 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,826 times
Default red light cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I just knew it had to happen sooner or later now that he's running for the U.S. Senate. He says its not delivering on what it promised so he's appointing a task force to look at scrapping it. Even though this is a political move by him i'll let him slide if he REMOVES these damn things. Anyway we'll see what happens....
[abq take one step backward ,red light cameras were installed in el paso and traffic accidents decreased by what i believe was 80% in the first year ,you new mexico drivers need all the help you can get even if they save one life there worth it quit crying about it and do something good for the state

Old 11-12-2007, 09:39 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
[abq take one step backward ,red light cameras were installed in el paso and traffic accidents decreased by what i believe was 80% in the first year ,you new mexico drivers need all the help you can get even if they save one life there worth it quit crying about it and do something good for the state
There was an article in the Journal about how, in the immediate vicinity of those intersections where they installed red light cameras, accidents were actually increasing.

Excerpt: "The Albuquerque Journal reported yesterday that the Albuquerque Police Department’s previous claim of a 30%-40% decrease in crashes at intersections that had red light cameras in 2006 is being challenged by the PRC. These new findings by the New Mexico Public Regulation Commission (PRC) indicate that crashes actually went up at red light camera intersections. The PRC’s findings show that accidents at the intersection of Paseo del Norte and Coors were up 11% while crashes at the intersection of Eubank and Montgomery were up by 8%. To be fair, the PRC’s study did find that crashes were down 21% at the intersection of San Mateo and Montgomery.

Overall, the evidence points to more harm than good and that the cameras have no made no difference in the big picture.

Naturally, the Albuquerque Police Department and Mayor Martin Chavez are attempting to downplay the PRC’s findings and are in the middle of spinning the few positives. But, the PRC’s findings have definitely exposed the truth that is that red light cameras do NOT work and that they are primarily used to increase revenues, not save lives."

I'm with 6-3: Scrap 'em!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,826 times
funny they work in el paso and denver ,el paso has had them about a little over a year and denver and surrounding cities for several years ,i guess it boils down to new mexico drivers anybody remember that song drive like a new mexican

Old 11-12-2007, 11:07 AM

710 posts, read 2,962,262 times
El Paso drivers are by no means better than ABQ. Navigating the parking lot of Cielo Vista can be frightening experience. I think it is a problem in the entire SW, Arizonans are known for their red light running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque