Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2020, 05:03 PM

511 posts, read 626,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
So burglaries never end up deadly in Washington State? A quick search shows that some do-- but somehow when it happens in NM it's worse or it's more "stupid"? .
Certainly, burglaries do end up deadly in WA state, but it's usually because the burglar has been surprised by the homeowner, an equal fight ensues, and guns are discharged or knives wielded and things turn for the worse.

I don't consider a 90something year old man who requires a walker in his own home, who is bludgeoned to death in his kitchen with his teakettle by the intruder "a burglary gone bad" or "deadly." This is something quite different.

Thank you, aries63, for inadvertently filling in holes and giving more details as to why burglaries gone deadly in NM are mentioned, whereas people remain mum about their burglaries gone bad/deadly in other states. I sensed and now more fully understand what the UNM prof I spoke to meant when he used the word "stupid." "Senseless" would have been more apt than "stupid."

Unfortunately, calling this particular act of violence a "burglary ending up deadly" speaks volumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 06:03 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Certainly, burglaries do end up deadly in WA state, but it's usually because the burglar has been surprised by the homeowner, an equal fight ensues, and guns are discharged or knives wielded and things turn for the worse.

I don't consider a 90something year old man who requires a walker in his own home, who is bludgeoned to death in his kitchen with his teakettle by the intruder "a burglary gone bad" or "deadly." This is something quite different.

Thank you, aries63, for inadvertently filling in holes and giving more details as to why burglaries gone deadly in NM are mentioned, whereas people remain mum about their burglaries gone bad/deadly in other states. I sensed and now more fully understand what the UNM prof I spoke to meant when he used the word "stupid." "Senseless" would have been more apt than "stupid."

Unfortunately, calling this particular act of violence a "burglary ending up deadly" speaks volumes.
Nobody really knows what happened in this case, so you are making a lot of assumptions. It may have been a random act, but maybe not. Nobody knows. Senseless acts like this happen in every state. I lived in New Hampshire when a couple of teenagers rang at the home of a college professor and his wife, who let them in, talked with them for a while, and then were stabbed to death for no apparent motive other than the teenagers wanted to watch them die (according to the boys when they were caught). The small town was devastated, but nobody I ever heard of decided they had to move away or refuse a job there because of it.

I knew another older professor who was savagely beaten in his home, the "official story" being he was robbed, but those who knew him said he had a habit of inviting prostitutes in and was attacked by one of them. There are many ways that a lonely elderly person might have associations with unstable characters who take advantage and turn on them. But I guess similar crimes in Washington are more thoughtful and here they are senseless according to you. That also speaks volumes.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:57 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,939,624 times
Quote:
The teams of SWAT agents from state, local and federal agencies took extra safety precautions conducting the searches Wednesday, given that two of the three suspects targeted had prior charges of assaulting law enforcement. Westfall shot a Bernalillo County sheriff’s SWAT deputy through a closed door during a search warrant execution in 2010.

Westfall was sentenced in 2011 to serve three years in prison but was incarcerated less than a year and was released on probation, New Mexico court records state. The SWAT deputy suffered permanent nerve damage.

Westfall, a former member of the Bandidos, is alleged to be the sergeant-at-arms of the Duke City Chapter of the Mongols.

Chavez, described as a Mongols member, is awaiting trial on state charges that include aggravated assault on a peace officer with a deadly weapon in August 2019. He had been on pretrial release in state District Court in Albuquerque and wasn’t permitted to possess firearms. Law enforcement agents who searched his residence found a Taurus revolver and a Taurus pistol in his bedroom closet – on top of his Mongols Motorcycle Club patches.

The affidavit relies in part on information from six confidential informers. One told investigators that Alvarado, a Mongols member who moved here from Arizona, “frequently commented how lax New Mexico laws were, compared to Arizona and Colorado.” And, that would help “boost the growth and goals of the Mongols Motorcycle Club.”
https://www.abqjournal.com/1444227/l...buquerque.html

What does it take to keep someone locked up in this ridiculous state?

I also don't really get why it's so difficult to put an end to gangs, at a national level. Is it a lack of laws that will allow this to be done, or a refusal to apply those laws?

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 04-16-2020 at 07:25 AM..

Old 04-16-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
In Boston people locked down ornamental trees and potted plants in their front yards in my neighborhood because they'd be stolen. But I haven't seen that here.
Yet similar things do get stolen here.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:12 PM

A good example of what happens when friendliness (nice dog!) is valued so much more than competence:

https://www.abqreport.com/single-pos...-Protect-Again

Old 05-13-2020, 06:51 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,511,299 times
Yesterday at about 245 pm I drove past the Chevron on Coors and Iliff and noticed 5 cop cars and a little red car in front of them. Both doors on the red car were wide open. I drove past and saw a young man in the front seat not moving a muscle. The police showed no sense of urgency and weren't even diverting cars from the gas area.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:37 AM

Just what that neighborhood needs:

Quote:
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Officers in riot gear fired what appeared to be tear gas as they retreated from a confrontation with protesters in a Southeast Albuquerque neighborhood overnight.

Just before 1 a.m., Gilbert Gallegos, an Albuquerque police spokesman, said in an emailed statement that officers “continue to monitor” a crowd in the area of Mesilla and Central following protests in the vicinity.

“Earlier, police responded to several shots that were fired from a vehicle along Wisconsin and Central. Four individuals were taken into custody,” he said. “Although most vehicles have dispersed, the area is still considered dangerous.”

A woman told the Journal that the crowd had followed the police from Central and Wyoming after they saw officers pulling over a vehicle nearby.

She said the officers arrested three people and that’s when the crowd surrounded the police and the officers in riot gear showed up.

The tensions rose following an earlier Black Lives Matter demonstration at Central and Wyoming over the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. Floyd, a black man, died in police custody on Monday after a white officer restrained him by digging his knee into his neck.

Floyd was handcuffed and could be heard telling the officer he could not breathe. Video of the incident, which was taken by a bystander, has gone viral, sparking protests across the country.

The Albuquerque demonstration went on for hours.

Just before midnight around 70 protesters waved signs and yelled at officers clad in riot gear, wielding batons on Mesilla just north of Central.

Protesters yelled “I can’t breathe” and “(expletive) the police” as they paced a few feet from the officers.

Dozens of people crowded the block of Mesilla, some recording from their phones at a distance as others blocked the end of the street with their vehicles.

The line of riot police began to load onto city buses as a helicopter shined its spotlight onto the gathering and told the crowd to disperse.

It was right then that at least three tear gas cans were fired into the crowd. A woman was injured, but it was unclear by what. A man began throwing the canisters back at the officers as the crowd ran back toward Central.

Protesters gathered around the woman on the ground, and she appeared to be shaken but OK.

In Minneapolis, protesters set fire to a police station on Thursday. Protesters also clashed with police in New York City, while demonstrators blocked traffic in downtown Denver, according to The Associated Press.
https://www.abqjournal.com/1460629/p...in-se-abq.html

Albuquerque police department has so much to do with what happens in Minneapolis.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 05-29-2020 at 06:51 AM..

Old 05-29-2020, 11:12 AM

APD press conference on events last night:

https://twitter.com/ABQPOLICE/status...07514909761536

Old 05-31-2020, 04:59 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Albuquerque police department has so much to do with what happens in Minneapolis.
Anger and grief from this incident can't be contained in Minneapolis and are felt around the world. Demonstrations over George Floyd's brutal killing have reached across the Atlantic: London, Berlin, Copenhagen, Jerusalem, and other places:

"Thousands gathered in central London on Sunday to offer support for American demonstrators. Chanting “No justice! No peace!” and waving placards with the words “How many more?” at Trafalgar Square, the protesters ignored U.K. government rules banning crowds because of the pandemic. Police didn’t stop them."

https://globalnews.ca/news/7008876/g...-london-march/

Old 06-17-2020, 04:42 PM

658 posts, read 1,337,107 times
https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news...ecord/5690589/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque