Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,220,704 times

Advertisements

This is not what I want for ABQ:

We can do so much better than suburban sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,989,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
This is not what I want for ABQ:

We can do so much better than suburban sprawl.
Well im sure Albuquerque can do alot better, but..thats whats probably gunna happen.. just imagine 200,000+ homes its gunna be outrageous!

This is probably what were lookin at.....

Old 08-29-2008, 07:39 AM

lame. Cali developers need to get their collective a**es out of our state.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 AM

710 posts, read 2,962,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Hahah thats a good one but i'm tellin ya, .. albuquerque deserves something, i think they will regret it in the long run.. watch albuquerque will be huge, no joke with the proposed 200,000+ homes coming soon.. sports will be in DEMAND here! The city's population and the metro will skyrocket with all them houses, according to reasearch we took were gunna be growing faster than vegas after this recession.
While having ABQ grow does excite me. How can we grow faster than Vegas. First off we haven't secured the water for growth like that. Secondly, while we are gaining exposure nationwide, I don't think ABQ has the same draw as Phoenix, Vegas, or Austin. I'm not doubting your predictions I just wonder how do we forecast that? What indicators show ABQ is eclipsing other fast growing cities? As for 2007 growth numbers we still trail Boise, Phoenix, Tucson, Vegas, Salt Lake City, and other cities in California, Texas, and Florida.

I've been following Mesa Del Sol and Suncal closely and their projections for full build out are at least 50 years out. If this were Phoenix or Vegas it would only take 15-25 years to build out those projects.

This is from the FAQ's page on Mesa Del Sol's website. They eventually plan to build 37,000 homes. Here is the rate they are proposing to build at.

"Q2. How many houses do you plan to build in the first neighborhood?
A. During the first year of residential development, Mesa del Sol plans to build approximately 400 housing units. Plans are to build 400-500 units in each subsequent year. "
http://www.mesadelsolnm.com/The-Big-Picture-FAQs.aspx#Q2 (broken link)

If you take 37,000 and divide that by 500 homes per yer, that would mean a total buildout of 74 years. When they propose 50, they are taking into account that as the city grows so will the amount of homes they build each year. I'm sure Suncal is projecting something similar.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:56 AM

177 posts, read 406,531 times
Albuquerque is NOT going to grow at a rate like Las Vegas or Phoenix, that is a pipe dream, if that is your dream.

I also want healthy, steady growth for Albuquerque, but the "pro team" dream left me long ago. Sure, we may get an NBA or NFL team, but it will be in the next generation or so, nothing that will effect me at least, since I am in my mid forties.

In five years the Albuquerque metro will be about 950,000 and that's being generous, which is fine by me. City population will realistically be about 580,000, MAYBE 600,000.

I think Rio Rancho is more poised for some staggering growth, with their pro growth attitude and progressive stance. Albuquerque's city council always has to debate things and have studies done for years until any idea finally dies on the vine. Witness the arena proposal.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:11 AM

If Rio Rancho keeps growing like they are, ABQ will need to seriously consider some toll bridges to access the city.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:38 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martinez View Post
Albuquerque is NOT going to grow at a rate like Las Vegas or Phoenix, that is a pipe dream, if that is your dream.

I also want healthy, steady growth for Albuquerque, but the "pro team" dream left me long ago. Sure, we may get an NBA or NFL team, but it will be in the next generation or so, nothing that will effect me at least, since I am in my mid forties.

In five years the Albuquerque metro will be about 950,000 and that's being generous, which is fine by me. City population will realistically be about 580,000, MAYBE 600,000.

I think Rio Rancho is more poised for some staggering growth, with their pro growth attitude and progressive stance. Albuquerque's city council always has to debate things and have studies done for years until any idea finally dies on the vine. Witness the arena proposal.
I agree wholeheartedly! However, one thing ABQ does have going for it is the fact that Sun Cal and Forest City (developer of Mesa Del Sol) are not from NM and they are very progressive companies. They have their own economic development teams, retail and land management teams, and the deep pockets to get things done. They have the ability to develop their lands with very little intervention from our NIMBY Council. Because of this, these two large parcels of land (one 13,000 acres and the other 55,000) will be developed and managed with a more pro-growth initiative than much of ABQ. They can rival the type of growth that Rio Rancho has and will continue to have. What's even better is they have the money to develop the infrastructure along with it, which Rio Rancho has failed miserably at in its short history.

Even with this I don't believe we will eclipse growth rates of other Sunbelt cities, but then again we might be surprised. Even though we have consistently been at the bottom of many lists, the last five to six years we have faired much better. In fact we routinely rank in the top 10 on issues of economic development, and quality of life. If we can fix our education and crime problems we can certainly become the next big thing. Of course this will all depend on securing water rights and building sustainable developments for our desert city.

Lastly, I hope the city will shift its focus from trying to land start up companies (like Eclipse) so we can build a solid foundation with companies that can weather the economic downturns thus preserving high wage jobs in our city.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:42 PM

177 posts, read 406,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly! However, one thing ABQ does have going for it is the fact that Sun Cal and Forest City (developer of Mesa Del Sol) are not from NM and they are very progressive companies. They have their own economic development teams, retail and land management teams, and the deep pockets to get things done. They have the ability to develop their lands with very little intervention from our NIMBY Council. Because of this, these two large parcels of land (one 13,000 acres and the other 55,000) will be developed and managed with a more pro-growth initiative than much of ABQ. They can rival the type of growth that Rio Rancho has and will continue to have. What's even better is they have the money to develop the infrastructure along with it, which Rio Rancho has failed miserably at in its short history.

Even with this I don't believe we will eclipse growth rates of other Sunbelt cities, but then again we might be surprised. Even though we have consistently been at the bottom of many lists, the last five to six years we have faired much better. In fact we routinely rank in the top 10 on issues of economic development, and quality of life. If we can fix our education and crime problems we can certainly become the next big thing. Of course this will all depend on securing water rights and building sustainable developments for our desert city.

Lastly, I hope the city will shift its focus from trying to land start up companies (like Eclipse) so we can build a solid foundation with companies that can weather the economic downturns thus preserving high wage jobs in our city.
Good points.

I think Albuquerque is in a pretty good situation. We are already a good size city, so a slow steady growth is ok by me.

I'd like to see our metro pop. area peak out at about 1 million.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:00 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,712,828 times
Albuquerque is going to have slow and steady growth but why is that bad? Steady growth is good, there's no rush.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:25 AM

The growth will not be sustainable... it will be Cali-brand sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque