Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 05:45 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,690,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m a Makers Mark girl, but I just had some Bulleit bourbon and I think it’s my new favorite.
I've never had regular Maker's but I've had Maker's 46, 101, private select, and RC6. 46 was delicious on the palate but horrible tasting finish, 101 both smelled and tasted like butane, the private select was pretty good but it was a store pick, and the RC6 was decent but nothing to write home about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 06:45 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,719,150 times
I envy your access to Eagle Rare- lucky you, pythonis!

Chenping, we have an array of bourbons on hand, so I don't consume the same type all the time. We drink a cocktail ( or two) every night, but in a week I might have 4 or five different bourbons; and sometimes I just get a "taste" for something particular and have that for several nights in a row. That is how a single bottle can last for quite a while. - Case in point: we got a bottle of Belle Meade Reserve in January and its down less than half now, but the bottle of Maker's 46 that we bought at the beginning of March is almost gone.

And I take my Bourbon on the rocks, by the way. I will drink it "neat", but generally I just like a little chill to whatever I'm drinking.

Gentlearts, that is a big leap from Maker's which is wheated to such a high rye as Bulleit! But, as I said, palates change.

The best thing is just to try everything that you can, in my opinion! How else do you know what you like, right?

Old 03-27-2021, 08:56 AM

728 posts, read 303,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
I envy your access to Eagle Rare- lucky you, pythonis!

Chenping, we have an array of bourbons on hand, so I don't consume the same type all the time. We drink a cocktail ( or two) every night, but in a week I might have 4 or five different bourbons; and sometimes I just get a "taste" for something particular and have that for several nights in a row. That is how a single bottle can last for quite a while. - Case in point: we got a bottle of Belle Meade Reserve in January and its down less than half now, but the bottle of Maker's 46 that we bought at the beginning of March is almost gone.

And I take my Bourbon on the rocks, by the way. I will drink it "neat", but generally I just like a little chill to whatever I'm drinking.

Gentlearts, that is a big leap from Maker's which is wheated to such a high rye as Bulleit! But, as I said, palates change.

The best thing is just to try everything that you can, in my opinion! How else do you know what you like, right?

Now you're talking. I wish everyone else would also come out of the closet and be as open about his or her love of bourbon.

I used to be a wine drinker and still love it with dinner. One time, I had a friend over and I served each of us a double Buffalo Trace on the rocks before dinner. We both loved it. The conversation was so good that I poured us both a double again as we sat down to a steak dinner. Wow, the bourbon paired amazingly well with the medium rare Jersey beef. From then on, I always have my steak dinner with a bourbon.

I used to be a snob when I first started drinking whiskey and would only open my wallet for the "fine stuff", namely scotch. Bourbon to me then was a cowboy drink while scotch had a pedigree. It didn't take me long before I got over the branding and my bigotry. I can still enjoy a fine good scotch but its peaty character and smokiness make me think of a medicine chest. Now, Kentucky straight bourbon does it for me.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:01 PM

You know, many of our bourbon friends started out as "wine drinkers"; not necessarily afficionados..let's call them "enthusiasts"- people who knew enough to know what they like and why they like it.
It seems like there is a trend toward this progression, and I wonder why. Maybe its because folks are realizing that a $40 bottle of wine will only last one meal where a $40 bottle of bourbon can last several weeks if not months!
It may also be that more people are finding that wine really needs food to be at its best- they are very complimentary to one another, where bourbon/whiskey can be enjoyed either way- its not dependent on another taste to bring out its best. - Does that make sense?

Old 03-27-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
You know, many of our bourbon friends started out as "wine drinkers"; not necessarily afficionados..let's call them "enthusiasts"- people who knew enough to know what they like and why they like it.
It seems like there is a trend toward this progression, and I wonder why. Maybe its because folks are realizing that a $40 bottle of wine will only last one meal where a $40 bottle of bourbon can last several weeks if not months!
It may also be that more people are finding that wine really needs food to be at its best- they are very complimentary to one another, where bourbon/whiskey can be enjoyed either way- its not dependent on another taste to bring out its best. - Does that make sense?

In other words, what you are saying is that bourbon is like a woman. She is great company either married to you or not.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:34 PM

Finished my yearly blind tasting of bourbons, this year doing best of each range of proof rather than best overall.
Winner in the 80 proof range: Jack Daniel's White Rabbit.
Winner in the 90 proof range: Woodinville
Winner of 100 proofs: George Dickel 11 year bottled in bond.
I'll do tastings of 101 and higher proofs in the weeks to come.

Old 04-08-2021, 02:20 PM

What was the competition in your 90 proof tier? We were really disappointed with Woodinville so I'd love to know what you compared it with.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
What was the competition in your 90 proof tier? We were really disappointed with Woodinville so I'd love to know what you compared it with.
The entire competition was as follows:
Heaven Hill 6 year
Buffalo Trace
Dickel 12
Eagle Rare
Redwood Empire (Lost Monarch)
Michter's SB (small batch)
Elijah Craig SB
Ezra Brooks 90
Four Roses SB
Stonehammer
1792 SB
Woodinville
Clyde May's (Straight BW)
Woodford Reserve Wheated
Weller Special Reserve
Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star

Those were randomly selected by RNG to do blind flights of 4, the results of each are as follows:
Flight 1 Weller SR (R/U Eagle Rare)
Flight 2 Michter's SB (R/U Elijah Craig)
Flight 3 Woodinville (R/U Ezra Brooks)
Flight 4 Heaven Hill 6 year (R/U Dickel 12)

Final Flight finished as follows:

1st Woodinville
2nd Michter's SB
3rd Heaven Hill 6 Year (Last year's overall winner)
4th Weller SR

Old 04-09-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
The entire competition was as follows:
Heaven Hill 6 year
Buffalo Trace
Dickel 12
Eagle Rare
Redwood Empire (Lost Monarch)
Michter's SB (small batch)
Elijah Craig SB
Ezra Brooks 90
Four Roses SB
Stonehammer
1792 SB
Woodinville
Clyde May's (Straight BW)
Woodford Reserve Wheated
Weller Special Reserve
Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star

Those were randomly selected by RNG to do blind flights of 4, the results of each are as follows:
Flight 1 Weller SR (R/U Eagle Rare)
Flight 2 Michter's SB (R/U Elijah Craig)
Flight 3 Woodinville (R/U Ezra Brooks)
Flight 4 Heaven Hill 6 year (R/U Dickel 12)

Final Flight finished as follows:

1st Woodinville
2nd Michter's SB
3rd Heaven Hill 6 Year (Last year's overall winner)
4th Weller SR

Wow, Buffalo Trace made no impression? It's my favorite pick.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Wow, Buffalo Trace made no impression? It's my favorite pick.
Actually it got beat by Dickel 12 and Heaven Hill 6 year. However, going back to check my records in this I'm seeing that I failed to include Lost Monarch in a flight. Therefore I will be redoing the last of the 4 (Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill 6 year, Dickel 12, and Lost Monarch). Then if there's a different winner I will redo the winner's bracket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages