Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:22 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,679 times

Advertisements

It has come to my attention that millennials drink different brews from the older generation. Whereas the older generation drinks traditional malt liquors and mainstream beers, millennials under 40 drink lighter and ice beers.

I'm not just talking about PBR. When I see people under 40 drinking beers in the lobby of my NYC apartment building, it's usually a Keystone Light / Ice or a Natural Light / Ice in the 25 oz size. Most of us drink 2 25s instead of 1 42 oz beer because the 25s stay cold. More young people drink Tecate with Mexican food, than Corona.

A small share of older millennials drink craft beer but it's a fringe interest in my area. I tried IPA but it tasted horrible to me.

My neighbor drank Old E every morning before she moved, but she's in her 50s. Colt 45 and Mickeys are associated with those over age 40 in my opinion. Another old people drink is whiskey, like Black Velvet, or Jim Beam. Hennessy crosses age boundaries but is more of an old people thing too. Do you notice this as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 06:18 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,250,428 times
Keystone light or Natural light is barely considered to actually be beer at all in parts of the midwest, they are so watered down LOL.

I see milennials around Chicago drinking all sorts of decent beers, btw. Not just cess. This includes a lot of IPAs and sour beers. I guess it depends on demographics/what circles you frequent.

Try some of the ‘hazy’ style IPAs. They taste better IMNSHO.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,555 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Not here. When I go to the brewpubs I see everyone, including the millennials drinking craft beer. It’s IPAs, Mac & Jack, Fat Tire, Dogfish Head. Probably the most mainstream beer I see is Blue Moon. No one drinks lite or the old tasteless Bud/Coors type beers any more except at sports events, and only because it’s cheaper.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:55 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not here. When I go to the brewpubs I see everyone, including the millennials drinking craft beer. It’s IPAs, Mac & Jack, Fat Tire, Dogfish Head. Probably the most mainstream beer I see is Blue Moon. No one drinks lite or the old tasteless Bud/Coors type beers any more except at sports events, and only because it’s cheaper.
Maybe it's an NYC thing. A lot of people drink Keystone Ice in the lobby of my building as well as on public transportation.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:25 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,415,863 times
It's perspective. I'm a craft-beer guy, so I go to craft-beer places and see people drinking craft beers. If you don't, then your perspective will be different from mine.

FWIW, I remember "everyone" drinking keystone light types of beers when I was in my late teens/early 20s (tried one once, poured 90% of it out the window and abstained from beer for about 4~5 years till I met someone who got me into craft beers). Again, just perspective.... don't worry too much about it.

And as a beer geek, I find IPA's to be way over-represented. To me, it's what people who have no idea about craft beers latches onto because it's the only thing they recognize. They have their place, but it's in a slot just above BMC ~ something that needs to be nearly frozen to kill the taste just so you can get it down. Great in the middle of the summer when you're sweating after some hard labor, but it's more about the cold than anything else.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:52 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,872,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
And as a beer geek, I find IPA's to be way over-represented. To me, it's what people who have no idea about craft beers latches onto because it's the only thing they recognize. They have their place, but it's in a slot just above BMC ~ something that needs to be nearly frozen to kill the taste just so you can get it down. Great in the middle of the summer when you're sweating after some hard labor, but it's more about the cold than anything else.
A good IPA actually shouldn't be ice-cold. That only dulls the finer notes in the hops, leaving plain old bitterness. In my experience, IPA's taste best fresh out of the refrigerator, as opposed to the ice bucket or freezer. And they're not something you drink with a nice meal. It's more of a laid-back post-college party beer, where getting drunk isn't the focus, and you want something better than Heineken et al.

Domestics, on the other hand, are only good for getting buzzed on a budget, like something to pre-game with. Although if you want to get really buzzed on a really small budget, Steel Reserve is your go-to.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
I've noticed that youngsters tend to go for light beer of various brands.

To my aged taste buds, that's kinda like drinking alka seltzer in a can/bottle.

But then, what someone else drinks isn't really a big deal as long as real beer is still readily available. Different strokes and all that.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:27 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,872,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I've noticed that youngsters tend to go for light beer of various brands.
This is actually true. It takes living to get good at enjoying bitter tastes. People can appreciate a sweet taste pretty much since birth. Then salty. (Think of little kids liking Doritos.) Then sour. (Think of middle school kids liking Warheads candy.) Bitter tastes don't get much love until age 16 to 25. This includes IPA's. But also foods like black coffee.

Broccoli, for example, has a slightly bitter taste. That's why most kids hate it. Also why many 21-year-olds might choose a Blue Moon over a Two Brothers Wobble IPA.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
^^^

All good points.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:44 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,229,962 times
I don't notice any of the premises in the OP.

When I go out to restaurant or a brew pub I see quite the age cross section of those drinking beer. And the choices are quite varied across ages.

I'm of the 'older' generation and I'm all about craft beer; can't stand the malt liquors and mainstream beers.

Heck even my dad who is 89 doesn't drink mainstream.

If I had to make gross generalizations; geographic region will be a better indicator as to what beer is favored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages