Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2018, 02:36 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Prevention is better than treatment. Reducing risk is very good. But there is nothing, not even the hallowed Grape Seed Extract, that will prevent all cancers.

If you (that's a generic "you," Jamin) counsel people to skip all cancer screenings and rely solely on Grape Seed Extract, you are going to lose some people whose cancers would have been found early through screening. Guaranteed.
Again, this is MY choice. I'm not telling anyone to do this, I'm putting the info out there and it's Free Will and I'm talking MOSTLY about Prevention. I've been working with supplements on Prevention for 23+ yrs.

This has been my path....I don't tell people to skip cancer tests, but I chose to and I'm not alone in this world.

Some here try to make it sound like I'm the evil witch who wants everyone to get cancer....on the contrary I've been posting about prevention since I arrived here and on other forums and when talking to everyone in my life who will listen and think, maybe there is something to what "she" is saying.

There is information all over the worldwide net on the Grape and cancers and even research centers are working the Grape Seed in 4 cancer models, which I've posted here.

If another member was talking like me and I didn't know anything about Grape Seed and dreaded the word cancer, you can bet I'd jump on this grape supplement. I figured it out it costs me about 32cents a day for hopefully prevention.

And no there are not guarantees. But my mind and body are willing to take the chance.

There is a allopathic cancer forum that is allopathic and why bother here.

I truly am sorry so many end up with cancers and some in my family and friends, but I can't save the world of cancers.

I think it's safe to say the MAJORITY on C-D are pharma and not alternative medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 02:44 PM

Sailbot: Here's a little scenario for you.

Had you been at the lecture back in 1995 where I was and heard the words "Pycnogenol" may prevent cancer(s). Would you have gotten on that supplement. Now you may have never been at that lecture, but thinking you were.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Prevention is better than treatment. Reducing risk is very good. But there is nothing, not even the hallowed Grape Seed Extract, that will prevent all cancers.

If you (that's a generic "you," Jamin) counsel people to skip all cancer screenings and rely solely on Grape Seed Extract, you are going to lose some people whose cancers would have been found early through screening. Guaranteed.
Grape seed extract addresses SO MANY issues but the cancer is one that I hope I can prevent and did try to get others to think that way and get on it, but they did not. I tell no one NOT to get mammograms and certainly did not push that on the two ladies who died recently. The subject may have come up over the years but so mind's are set on what they do. I had 2 mamms but that was it.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:38 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
I can understand doing things for prevention but once diagnosed, I would go conventional. Conventional along with some alternative treatments if I could and as long as they didn't interfere with the conventional treatment.

I had cancer, got the surgery from a wonderful surgeon. He was a genius.

No amount of perfect eating or supplement taking would have prevented my cancer, not that I know of. I did get a Vitamix afterwards and ate somewhat better, but I wasn't eating junk food before I got cancer.

My genius surgeon used a homeopathic remedy, btw. That's not why I chose him and I was surprised to go to an eminent surgeon and be given Arnica for pain. But some of the best doctors go beyond the call of duty and take it upon themselves to educate themselves beyond what is absolutely necessary. I've seen that again and again.

Alternative medicine is mostly for prevention but it can also support conventional medicine. Ideally the conventional and alternative practitioners can work together to bring about the very best treatment for the individual. Usually it's rich people who get to experience this ideal treatment.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can understand doing things for prevention but once diagnosed, I would go conventional. Conventional along with some alternative treatments if I could and as long as they didn't interfere with the conventional treatment.

I had cancer, got the surgery from a wonderful surgeon. He was a genius.

No amount of perfect eating or supplement taking would have prevented my cancer, not that I know of. I did get a Vitamix afterwards and ate somewhat better, but I wasn't eating junk food before I got cancer.

My genius surgeon used a homeopathic remedy, btw. That's not why I chose him and I was surprised to go to an eminent surgeon and be given Arnica for pain. But some of the best doctors go beyond the call of duty and take it upon themselves to educate themselves beyond what is absolutely necessary. I've seen that again and again.

Alternative medicine is mostly for prevention but it can also support conventional medicine. Ideally the conventional and alternative practitioners can work together to bring about the very best treatment for the individual. Usually it's rich people who get to experience this ideal treatment.
A lot we don't know but maybe a lot others know.

How about those 4 cancer models I've posted about being researched in research labs.
Prostate, breast, colon, skin.

This seems to discuss prostate mostly.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1204181246.htm

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-23-2018 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-23-2018, 05:44 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Saibot: Here's a little scenario for you.

Had you been at the lecture back in 1995 where I was and heard the words "Pycnogenol" may prevent cancer(s). Would you have gotten on that supplement. Now you may have never been at that lecture, but thinking you were.
I was not at that lecture. LOL.

Sorry, that maybe sounded rude. Why would you think I was at the same lecture as you in 1995? I was in my 20s then; I was spending my time working as a gymnastics coach, rock climbing, and preparing for my wedding. I was not attending health lectures.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I was not at that lecture. LOL.

Sorry, that maybe sounded rude. Why would you think I was at the same lecture as you in 1995? I was in my 20s then; I was spending my time working as a gymnastics coach, rock climbing, and preparing for my wedding. I was not attending health lectures.
It was a supposition. You didn't understand that.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:12 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Sailbot: Here's a little scenario for you.

I am not saibot but I will take a stab at that.

I would have asked, "How do you know it may prevent cancer?" "Which cancer?" Breast cancer?" "Lung cancer?" "Colon cancer?" There is no single disease called "cancer." Cancers develop in any tissue type and they are all different with different causes. It is not plausible that taking one herbal product would prevent all types of cancer, especially those with a significant genetic component, like some breast cancers.

I would want to know what happens to a group of people taking compared to a group not taking it. How many cancers were diagnosed in each group? What kinds? Did the people taking pycnogenol develop fewer cancers or not?

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/in...e-bark-extract

"Cancer prevention
This use has not been proven by clinical studies."

Finally, there is the fact that herbal products in the US may or may not contain what is on the label.

Your favorite, GSE:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...089?via%3Dihub

"Nine [of 21] products were adulterated, found to contain peanut skin extract. A wide degree of variability in chemical composition was detected in commercial products, demonstrating the need for development of quality control standards for GSE."

A meta-analysis of pycnogenol:

https://www.cochrane.org/CD008294/CF...onic-disorders

"Authors' conclusions:
Current evidence is insufficient to support Pycnogenol® use for the treatment of any chronic disorder. Well-designed, adequately powered trials are needed to establish the value of this treatment."

Did the person giving the lecture tell about adverse events associated with pycnogenol?

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...of-pycnogenol/

Old 08-23-2018, 08:20 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
A lot we don't know but maybe a lot others know.

How about those 4 cancer models I've posted about being researched in research labs.
Prostate, breast, colon, skin.

This seems to discuss prostate mostly.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1204181246.htm
All it says is that it has effects on cells in the lab. That does not mean it prevents cancer in humans. It was also published about five years ago. Anything new since then?

You seem to jump on preliminary research and use it as proof of whatever effect you are claiming for the product. Unfortunately, the vast majority of substances that show promise in the lab do not pan out when used clinically. That is why many potential drugs do not make it into actual use.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:48 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,703 times
Quote:
That would be nice and I think a Hug would be in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine