Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in Brazil?
Yes 162 50.78%
No 157 49.22%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 04:12 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,662 times

Advertisements

I would love to, actually. I think Brazil has a bright future ahead, and I think it'd be exciting to be a part of their boom. Plus, it has a very interesting and intricate culture, with a beautiful population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:31 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,783,287 times
It's always very interesting to see the opinion of foreigners on Brazil. Glad to see that the majority opinion is in favor of the country.

As a Brazilian rookie in the forum, I am available for any questions that anyone might have on Brazil.

On crime, a subject that I found it very present here, I can say is that the fear of some people is definitely exaggerated. Not all major Brazilian cities have the same level of crime of Rio de Janeiro. And even within the city of Rio de Janeiro there are safe areas.

Sure we have problems of public security in our major cities, maybe a little higher than in large U.S. cities, but it's no an "urban war", at least not in cities like Belo Horizonte, Salvador, Recife, Fortaleza, Curitiba, Porto Alegre.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:00 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,843,389 times
without a doubt never been, but i have a fascination with Brazil for some reason, the rio skyline just takes the breath away, i hope i can stay there in the future, oh and it was a scot that introduced football to brazil! lol

Old 12-08-2010, 11:15 AM

Hey paull805, you're right about the fact that was a Scot who introduced football to Brazil. Well, in fact a Scottish-Brazilian, Mr. Charles William Miller, who was born in Brazil in 1874 to John Miller, a Scottish railway engineer and a Brazilian mother of English descent, Carlota Fox.

In 1884 he was sent to the Banister Court public school in Southampton, Hampshire, England where he learnt to play football and cricket. When he returned to Brazil in 1894, Miller brought two foot balls and a set of Hampshire FA rules in his suitcase.

(With information from Wikipedia. )

Old 12-09-2010, 04:02 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,869,561 times
Voted no : the language gets on my nerves, I don't care for their music (makes me asleep), there are shocking social issues, the big cities are downright dangerous, the Amazonian jungles and the bone dry Mato Grosso are lethal, maybe the only place I would go is the south (Rio Grande do Sul), probably more European.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:01 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Voted no : the language gets on my nerves, I don't care for their music (makes me asleep), there are shocking social issues, the big cities are downright dangerous, the Amazonian jungles and the bone dry Mato Grosso are lethal, maybe the only place I would go is the south (Rio Grande do Sul), probably more European.
Everyone's responses are interesting.

But, personally I find Brazilian-Portguese to be one of the most beautiful languages on earth!! Try living in Asia for 12 years... I just recently moved to Japan (which is fine), but the other languages of the other Asian countries I've lived in and traveled to, wow! You will love a Latin language after them

That being said, I do find Brazilians speaking English to be a bit nasally. But BRazilians speaking Portuguese - WOW, love it!

ALso love the music...I sometimes dream of being back in a South American country...and I think of either Portuguese or Spanish. I find most music of Spanish to be not appeal so much. Brazilian music is hauntingly beautiful. Love it!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Hey paull805, you're right about the fact that was a Scot who introduced football to Brazil. Well, in fact a Scottish-Brazilian, Mr. Charles William Miller, who was born in Brazil in 1874 to John Miller, a Scottish railway engineer and a Brazilian mother of English descent, Carlota Fox.

In 1884 he was sent to the Banister Court public school in Southampton, Hampshire, England where he learnt to play football and cricket. When he returned to Brazil in 1894, Miller brought two foot balls and a set of Hampshire FA rules in his suitcase.

(With information from Wikipedia. )
well forgive us if we lay claim to him, we haven't had a football success in a while lol

Old 12-09-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
every country has its problems doesn't stop it from being a beautiful vibrant country

Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 AM

89 posts, read 207,685 times
I have not Been to Brazil and not an Brazilian. I'm an Australian

Yes For Me. Brazil is Chanceing Fast The Peresnt President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva have got 30 million people out of Poverty and 20 million more people in the Middle Class their is 90 million people in 2003 in the lower class now last report in 2009 their was 70 million in the lower class. So if the things the way they now their will be 50 million people in the lower class in 2015 then 30 million in 2021. Anyone from Brazil When did the Boom Started.
Brazil is Chancing Fast. They are good enouth Country for the IOC to give them the Olympic Games in 2016 in Rio de Janeiro. Brazil is a country of the Future.
Ive Been looking at Brazil from Google Earth. The North of Rio de Janeiro City is still a Slums invested Area but things will Chance.
out of a Indian, Malay, Phillp, South African and a Brazilian Slum. I would raver live in a Brazlian Slum
Brazil is one of the Fastest Developing Countries in the World The UN said Brazil will be an Advance Country in 20 Years Time.
When Rio de Janeiro got the olympics last year their have been a 20% Drop in the Crime levels in the City of Rio de Janeiro.
Brazil is getting Rich. Brazil Crime rate is lowering. Brazil number of people in poverty is getting lower. the Brazilian are getting Smarter and getting health care.

I would move their it got my Reqierments. Nice and hot to warm. Have Stormes, got lots of Culture and good night life and Real Party Country.

I would move to a coastly city which is also one of my Reqierments with Must have a Beachers.

I would move to iver Rio de Janeiro or Florianopolis.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:32 AM

For those thinking about live in Brazil, my advice is: make Brazilian friends in the city where you're going to live. In Brazil, friends are everything. A Brazilian never thinks twice before helping a friend. So, friends can be very helpful, and make everything much easier.

If you're thinking about move to Brazil, first you should make some friends in the city of your choice, by the internet, and make a touristic trip to that city, to meet with your virtual friends in the real world. Of course you should seek for friends in whom you can trust, decent people with good jobs. Look for people who share common interests with you, starting a true friendship.

After you have good friends in the city, people that you know personally, you can think about moving definitely. Friends will be extremely helpful to anyone who's starting a life in Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas