Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in Brazil?
Yes 162 50.78%
No 157 49.22%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:39 AM

89 posts, read 207,795 times

Advertisements

Funny you say that Xutka Brazil is the 39th best country to live in While United Kingdom a very Rich country is only 29th. Brazil living condtions are getting better the Current Leader of Brazil got 30 million people out of poverty and 21 million of them is in the new Middle Class. Brazil is finding more Oil then you can speek. I would like to live in a country that is Changeing for the good. their is 194 million people in Brazil and only 70 million in the lower class by 2016 that number will be forecasted to 50million in the lowerclass and Brazil will have 210 million people. Brazil is Changeing for good. No more thinking Brazil is a poor crime ridding country. Brazil is a rich country The Country of the Future Their have been a 21% drop in the Crime levels in the City of Rio de Janeiro with in one year between 2009-2010.
Brasil is one of the Fastest Growing Country on the Plant. Brazil is good enouth for the IOC to give the Olympic Their. Brazil is speeding 600 billion $US on Infrastructure Projects for the 1st half of the 2010s. Brazil is Changeing fast.

And i'm not saying this becouse I Love Brazil and Not a Brazilian. Ive research alot on Brazil.

I would move to Brazil right now if i had the money to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 01:41 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Hahahaha!!

Very funny xutka!

I live in Brazil, and I LOVE it.

Corruption? Yes, sadly. But there is corruption in the US too.

Bureaucracy? Yes, sadly. But there are lots of bureaucracy in France too.

Brazilian mediocre quality of life? Depends what you call quality of life. Brazilians are far less stressed than Americans. Brazilians suffer from hypertension far less than Americans.

Brazilian food? You really don't know Brazilian food! First, it's much more healthy than American "fast food", McDonalds hamburgers. And it's amazingly diversified. Brazilian barbecue is delicious. In the Northeast, lots of stupendous seafood. Some really nice snacks like "tapioca", "pastel" or "coxinha com catupiry". I would NEVER exchange my Brazilian food for American food.

Brazil is becoming better and better each year. This is fact. Any middle class family in cities like Florianopolis, Recife, Fortaleza, Natal, has a great quality of life. The poor are getting better and better too. Today, people who live in so called "slums" go to the shopping malls and waterparks.

You probably imagine Brazil is something like Somalia or Bangladesh... You're so wrong!
Very well MalaMan.
I think our friend xutka has a short vision about the world outside US, like many others.
How we can understand, all his world is the "area" between the street where he lives and the place where he works.
All his knowledge about Brazil come from TV and hollywood movies.
I'm surprised at the ignorance from people living in "first world" countries.
They don't know the difference between speak spanish or speak portuguese.
Their knowledge about world outside US is zero.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Very well MalaMan.
I think our friend xutka has a short vision about the world outside US, like many others.
How we can understand, all his world is the "area" between the street where he lives and the place where he works.
All his knowledge about Brazil come from TV and hollywood movies.
I'm surprised at the ignorance from people living in "first world" countries.
They don't know the difference between speak spanish or speak portuguese.
Their knowledge about world outside US is zero.

LMMFAO- As if Brazilians are known for being great scholars who have vast knowledge about the entire world.

I would NEVER live in Brazil based on what I see happening in my back yard. Brazilians want out of Brazil so badly that they are flooding our area coming here illegally. A description of the Brazilian immigrants that we are forced to deal with:

Ignorant
Filthy
Self-serving
Sense of entitlement
Chip on their shoulders

I don't know how anyone could stand living there. After seeing the way these people act I could only imagine what a horror show it must be there.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:55 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
I would be happy to spend chunks of time in Brazil but long-term no.

Everyone talks about the exaggerated crime and danger in Brazil, but when I was there it was the locals who talked bad about favelas and many other no-go zones (to them). They couldn't believe I thought they were fascinating and wanted to visit as much as possible.

But it surely must be an exciting era for Brazil, maybe like the US after WW2, a time to grow! But we know what's at the other end: degradation. I was dissapointed that most Brazilians I met regarded jungles, wildlife and nature as something backward, something that needed to be eliminated so they could become more modern.

And as most people know, Brazil has an odd dichotomy toward race. On the surface, people get along, they inter-marry, they party together etc., but in business, jobs and politics, the lighter skin the better.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:56 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
I never understood the 'crime' concerns with Brazil from Americans.

I mean, I'm an American who has lived in many American cities and lived in Sao Paulo and Rio de Jainero (six months total). Not a long time...BUT...

Generally speaking, American downtowns are far worse than Brazilian ones.

The fravelas are in the fringes of the cities. Whereas in the States, the ghettos are right IN the cities.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I would be happy to spend chunks of time in Brazil but long-term no.

Everyone talks about the exaggerated crime and danger in Brazil, but when I was there it was the locals who talked bad about favelas and many other no-go zones (to them). They couldn't believe I thought they were fascinating and wanted to visit as much as possible.

But it surely must be an exciting era for Brazil, maybe like the US after WW2, a time to grow! But we know what's at the other end: degradation. I was dissapointed that most Brazilians I met regarded jungles, wildlife and nature as something backward, something that needed to be eliminated so they could become more modern.

And as most people know, Brazil has an odd dichotomy toward race. On the surface, people get along, they inter-marry, they party together etc., but in business, jobs and politics, the lighter skin the better.
All cities in the world has areas with high crime rates (no-go zones). Here is not different.
But who says all Brazil is an "extremely dangerous place", don't know nothing about Brazil. Never been here and is totally uninformed.
Yes, we have problems but is undergoing many transformations. Brazil is changing for better, much better. In its economy, its social, its environment preservation, its fight against crime, etc...
Every day, more and more Brazilians came out here to work abroad are returning and many and many "aliens" want to come here to work.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
LMMFAO- As if Brazilians are known for being great scholars who have vast knowledge about the entire world.

I would NEVER live in Brazil based on what I see happening in my back yard. Brazilians want out of Brazil so badly that they are flooding our area coming here illegally. A description of the Brazilian immigrants that we are forced to deal with:

Ignorant
Filthy
Self-serving
Sense of entitlement
Chip on their shoulders

I don't know how anyone could stand living there. After seeing the way these people act I could only imagine what a horror show it must be there.
Based on what you wrote, you're one of them like our friend XUTKA.
You don't know nothing about Brazil and live under "media influence".

Old 12-16-2010, 12:01 PM

89 posts, read 207,795 times
Brazil is Changeing fast the Crime rate is going down even in Rio. in the last year the Crime Rate in Rio droped by 15% Brazil is impoveing i heard on a Video on Youtube that the Brazilians moved away from Brazil is now coming back to the Country.
Brazil is one of the Worlds Fastest Developing Country.
Brazil is good enouth by the International Olympic Comittiee to give the Olympics to Brazil. But i think Rio got the Games 4 Years too soon. Becouse 7 years is not enouth time to put in the Infrastructure. But i hope that they will host a good games.
Brazil is a Country of the Future
Brazil got good Culture, Government and Economy.
Brazil is Changing fast and in 20 Years time will be an Advance Country No more thinking that Brazil is a poor Crime ridden 3rd world country. Thhey my have some 3rd World Areas like up in the North and North East. But thoes areas are inproving fast.

I'm not a Brazilian. But i do lots of research on other Countries and I see Brazil have a good Future. Good luck Brazil in your succeces.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:07 PM

344 posts, read 462,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
All cities in the world has areas with high crime rates (no-go zones).
This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. I live in a a city of 800000 people (1200000 in the metro area) and I can go to any part of the city day and night and it's 99,9% sure that nothing will happen to me, there are no no-go zones here. You should travel to some place outside of Latin America.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:43 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post
This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. I live in a a city of 800000 people (1200000 in the metro area) and I can go to any part of the city day and night and it's 99,9% sure that nothing will happen to me, there are no no-go zones here. You should travel to some place outside of Latin America.
Where do you live?

And (responding to other posters) yes, situation in Brazil has been improving I'm sure, but still. My SO was there on business only some weeks ago (in fact, he's been regularly flying to Brazil -living there for periods of 3 to 6 months sometimes- and other parts of the world for years). After reading this thread again, I asked him about the situation going on there, and he maintains what he said to me the first time he was there: the gap between the rich (and the middle class) and the poor is as disheartening as ever, and crime and insecurity are still a very obvious problem. There are worse places, of course (he says that Caracas has a much more prominent presence of chabolas -favelas- than São Paulo or Rio). But that's no consolation.

Also, there are many desirable things about Brazil is one chooses to ignore or just bear with the current social situation (it's not permanent), or even try to help and work with the community. If one likes that sort of weather (not all of us do!), all sorts of music, a more relaxing atmosphere (yes, I do believe that even the ones living in misery there are less subject to most kinds of pressure than we are here in our developed countries), getting to know a different and fascinating culture... Brazil is as good a destination as any other. Or better, being such a huge country with a diverse population and with a very desirable chance to end up being more compassionate, livable and cooperative, and way less aseptic and hypocritical, than the first world has turned out to be.

Last edited by noela; 12-17-2010 at 02:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas