Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the average African-American a mulatto?
Yes 53 43.44%
No 69 56.56%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:26 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Black American culture is NOT Eurocentric.

Of course they are. There are very few differences between black American culture and white American culture. There are far more similarities than differences.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:33 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Of course they are. There are very few differences between black American culture and white American culture. There are far more similarities than differences.
That doesn't make it Eurocentric. Honestly, Black America culture is neither Euro or Afro centric.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
As a whole, black Americans probably aren't as mixed as Dominicans...though I suspect we're much more "white" than most non-blacks realize.
What about white americans being more "black" than most non-blacks realize?

Old 01-06-2014, 12:38 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
However, within the United States those differences have always been as significant as the 3% genetic difference between humans and chimpanzees.

You would probably argue that there is just as little difference between the English and the Welsh or between the French and the Germans or between the Poles and the Russians or between the Greeks and the Turks...which has not prevented any wars.

hBELE: It is obvious to the most simpleminded that Lokai is of an inferior breed.
SPOCK: The obvious visual evidence, Commissioner, is that he is of the same breed as yourself.
BELE: Are you blind, Commander Spock? Well, look at me. Look at me!
KIRK: You're black on one side and white on the other.
BELE: I am black on the right side.
KIRK: I fail to see the significant difference.
BELE: Lokai is white on the right side. All of his people are white on the right side.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:26 AM

116 posts, read 169,687 times
Look at this video of poor people in Mississippi. I understand it's still quite possible they'd have European ancestry if you go back far enough, but it couldn't be much, these people look like they could be straight from Ghana.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,535,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Boomers grew up with apartheid, so it's in our blood. Millennial are our children, but they never actually experienced it--they don't really know how to practice it as consistently as we do. I think that when the direct Boomer influence is gone, Millennials will grow out of it

Really? I suspect that the millennials are growing up and understand exactly what white male privilege is about, and they don't seem inclined to give it up. When I walk around NYC most groups of young whites are with other young whites, maybe an occasional black friend or two, but I see no evidence of them being indifferent to race.

They are just more adept at being PC.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:45 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,535,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Hopefully that will continue to change going forward if African Americans are willing to have it

AAs fervently believe in integration. Even those who pretend that they don't. Because this country is all they know. And they know that if they wish upward mobility they will have to work out some way of being comfortable around whites, at least in work environments.

The problem is that view isn't necessarily held by others, which then leads to defensiveness among some AAs.

There was a white guy who used to work in the office who used to talk to me about racial issues. He grew up in South Brooklyn when some of his friends would bring out their bats if a black person who they didn't know walked by. He thought that wrong and tried to stop them. I believe him as he started a charity aimed at getting books to poor kids of all races, and his committee was quite diverse. He was also comfortable about being honest with his views. No PC and no white guilt.

He used to have a laugh at the millenials in the office (he is Gen X). He used to say that their "love" for blacks was theoretical. Basically he would walk into a group of middle class blacks and feel no issues. He knew that they wouldn't be comfortable suddenly being the only white in a room full of professional blacks, though no doubt they all voted for Obama, love rap, and have blacks celebs who they admire.

Yes they will be friendly towards those blacks who get into their circle some how. But race neutral......no way. Their social sphere is still mainly white. They still lack the social tools to operate in a truly diverse environment where they will have to adjust as others also adjust.

Maybe their kids might be different. But this country still hasn't reached the point yet where black and white adults who don't know each other don't feel some level of discomfort.

I mean they mean well, so I am not implying that they haven't made tremendous improvement over the boomers and Gen Xers. But still some work to do.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Really? I suspect that the millennials are growing up and understand exactly what white male privilege is about, and they don't seem inclined to give it up. When I walk around NYC most groups of young whites are with other young whites, maybe an occasional black friend or two, but I see no evidence of them being indifferent to race.

They are just more adept at being PC.
Maybe I'm just still hopeful for the future. But I don't have any hope for Boomers. We're done.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
AAs fervently believe in integration. Even those who pretend that they don't. Because this country is all they know. And they know that if they wish upward mobility they will have to work out some way of being comfortable around whites, at least in work environments.
Yes.

In America, integration is a no-choice, no-option decision for American blacks who intend to survive and intend their children to survive. For a variety of reasons--not all of them self-inflicted--living in a "Blackistan" is a dead end.

Quote:
The problem is that view isn't necessarily held by others, which then leads to defensiveness among some AAs.
Not an irrational defensiveness, especially for us Boomers who were "the first" and "the only" from the 60s through the 90s. Initially, we were "the first" in newly integrated high schools all the way up to be "the first" in management positions, swimming against an undercurrent of racism all along the way.

Quote:
Yes they will be friendly towards those blacks who get into their circle some how. But race neutral......no way. Their social sphere is still mainly white. They still lack the social tools to operate in a truly diverse environment where they will have to adjust as others also adjust.

Maybe their kids might be different. But this country still hasn't reached the point yet where black and white adults who don't know each other don't feel some level of discomfort.

I mean they mean well, so I am not implying that they haven't made tremendous improvement over the boomers and Gen Xers. But still some work to do.
I don't think they are deliberate and maybe not even conscious of their race-consciousness. They are certainly not as deliberate about it as older Boomers. They're still dealing with being only a few years or less out of the situations that their Boomer parents put them in. I'm hoping that when Boomer influence is dead, the situation will change.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Not an irrational defensiveness, especially for us Boomers who were "the first" and "the only" from the 60s through the 90s. Initially, we were "the first" in newly integrated high schools all the way up to be "the first" in management positions, swimming against an undercurrent of racism all along the way.
I can only speak for white Boomers. I was born in 1962, so I NEVER attended a school that wasn't integrated. Some of my earliest school memories (in Virginia to be exact) are of singing "If I Had a Hammer" and other "peacenik" songs in school. I also remember being very, very young and hearing "The World is Black, the World Is White" on the radio and singing along with Three Dog Night, not a care in the world, on the way to my fully integrated grade school.

My very Southern parents simply did not allow prejudice in our household. I recall calling my brother "the N word" one day - I didn't even know what it meant, I just knew I wasn't supposed to say it, and my daddy reamed me over it so badly that I never forgot his fierceness over that word, and what it symbolized.

We white Boomers were also some of the first - the first to play on integrated sports teams, go to integrated dances, live in integrated neighborhoods, date and marry someone of a different race (first in our families), etc.

Quote:
I don't think they are deliberate and maybe not even conscious of their race-consciousness. They are certainly not as deliberate about it as older Boomers. They're still dealing with being only a few years or less out of the situations that their Boomer parents put them in. I'm hoping that when Boomer influence is dead, the situation will change.
You won't have to wait till then. Just look at the increases in interracial marriage over the past thirty years or so - from about 3 percent to about 20 percent of marriages are interracial - and the number continues to rise. This is one of the nearly inevitable results of integration.

As for being a bit blind to race consciousness - I think EVERYONE is a bit blind to their own prejudices, preconceived notions, and how they size up other people subconsciously - not just white Baby Boomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas