Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the average African-American a mulatto?
Yes 53 43.44%
No 69 56.56%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:35 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We white Boomers were also some of the first - the first to play on integrated sports teams, go to integrated dances, live in integrated neighborhoods, date and marry someone of a different race (first in our families), etc.
But how often were you as a Boomer both "the first" and also "the only?" If you were on an integrated sports team, were you the majority or the minority?

Your experience in having the first black person on your white team was not at all similar to her experience being the first black person on a white team.

As we said before, integration is not optional for black people who want to survive and want their children to survive.

There is a new program on television that's actually kind of portraying this in a subtle way--"Almost Human." This really came out in their second episode (although most people were probably too distracted by the "skin" to see it).

Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But how often were you as a Boomer both "the first" and also "the only?" If you were on an integrated sports team, were you the majority or the minority?

Your experience in having the first black person on your white team was not at all similar to her experience being the first black person on a white team.

As we said before, integration is not optional for black people who want to survive and want their children to survive.

There is a new program on television that's actually kind of portraying this in a subtle way--"Almost Human." This really came out in their second episode (although most people were probably too distracted by the "skin" to see it).
There are of course some differences in personal experiences, and I am in no way trying to minimize any unique experiences that AAs had as schools, neighborhoods, and businesses became more integrated, but when I entered school, none of the kids my age were the "first" OR the "only." Most schools I attended in the South were at LEAST 40 percent minority students. In fact, I was the minority in my high school, which was 52 percent African American.

Many of our sports teams (and other sorts of teams for that matter) had more AA members than white members.

Come to think of it, I'm a minority here in Texas. Texas is one of the few states (I think only four?) which are minority/majority states - where "white non hispanics" make up less than 50 percent of the population.

Just adding some perspective to the mix.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:21 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Yes.

I don't think they are deliberate and maybe not even conscious of their race-consciousness. They are certainly not as deliberate about it as older Boomers. They're still dealing with being only a few years or less out of the situations that their Boomer parents put them in. I'm hoping that when Boomer influence is dead, the situation will change.

I agree and in fact some will draw contrasts with their boomer parents and even maybe their Gen Xer cousins.

The issue however is that they aren't as immune from subconscious race awareness as they think that they are. How could they when they get these messages all day long? The test where people are shown pics of black men and white men and asked to make assumptions is one that they fail as well.

Even blacks aren't immune as our GROWING skin colorism shows. Indeed I think that millennial blacks have more skin colors issues than black boomers, as they didn't grow up hearing "black and proud". They grew up with light skinned females in the videos.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There are of course some differences in personal experiences, and I am in no way trying to minimize any unique experiences that AAs had as schools, neighborhoods, and businesses became more integrated, but when I entered school, none of the kids my age were the "first" OR the "only." Most schools I attended in the South were at LEAST 40 percent minority students. In fact, I was the minority in my high school, which was 52 percent African American.

Many of our sports teams (and other sorts of teams for that matter) had more AA members than white members.

Come to think of it, I'm a minority here in Texas. Texas is one of the few states (I think only four?) which are minority/majority states - where "white non hispanics" make up less than 50 percent of the population.

Just adding some perspective to the mix.
The South is different from the North for reasons that you disclosed. Indeed that its possible, despite of, or maybe because of its tragic racist history to be where white millennials will be more relaxed if the are the only white in the room

Old 01-07-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I agree and in fact some will draw contrasts with their boomer parents and even maybe their Gen Xer cousins.

The issue however is that they aren't as immune from subconscious race awareness as they think that they are. How could they when they get these messages all day long? The test where people are shown pics of black men and white men and asked to make assumptions is one that they fail as well.

Even blacks aren't immune as our GROWING skin colorism shows. Indeed I think that millennial blacks have more skin colors issues than black boomers, as they didn't grow up hearing "black and proud". They grew up with light skinned females in the videos.
I tend to agree with you about growing colorism among young blacks.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
And how the hell does it explain aspects of your present? I still have yet to hear anyone talk about how significant knowing what you're "mixed" with has to anyone's everyday life. If I ever did some type of ancestry test, and I found out I was 40% Chinese, I was just smile, say "oh, that is why I like Panda express", and go about my day pretty much unaffected. It really has no objective significance. People just want to be more important than they are, so they want to be "mixed" because it think it makes them more interesting. The reality is that people who are so concerned with ethnicity have a weak individual personality, so they need to hold on to something to give them importance. Since they contribute nothing otherwise.

You don't care about who or what you are, so why are you even in this discussion? Just say you're from Jupiter and call it a day!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
What about white americans being more "black" than most non-blacks realize?
True. Most that claim a Cherokee relative don't realize that the person was likely black. History gets 'colored' ya know!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I tend to agree with you about growing colorism among young blacks.

I'd say that colorism isn't growing, but rather returning from times long past.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
No, there are some differences, caused to some extent by wider options available to those suffering from it.

Interestingly by my observation, whites who get over the issue of "race" in the first place tend to not have colorism issues. That is to say, a white man or woman who can set race aside in the selection of a mate doesn't appear to let skin color (or at least a bias toward light skin color) be a determinant either.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post

Its a return to the past. But not to the boomers. But to those who were born before WWII, and who came of age in the 50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas