Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:48 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times

Advertisements

The first clip described a term called Taharrush jamai (The rape game). I had never heard of this exact term before. When I looked it up a remember hearing about this in terms of Egypt. I have been to Egypt and I did feel fairly uncomfortable and I was with a man and we both could pass for being from there. The person I was with is from Morocco and he actually expressed discomfort regarding the level of forwardness and agressiveness of people asking for money. Ex men around our own age with jobs were asking us for money. Places like this where the population is domenated with hopeless male youth with nothing productive to do then make trouble is where I think these problems stem from.

There are situations in recent years like this that have happend not related to Arab men just a reminder that this issue is not excluvie to Arab men ... here are a few....

Woodstock 1999 (USA)

Further information: Woodstock 1999
Police investigated four complaints of sexual assault and rape, including digital rape, that allegedly occurred during and after the concert. Eyewitnesses reported seeing a crowd surfing woman pulled down into the mosh pit and gang-raped.

Puerto Rican Day Parade attacks (USA)

Further information: Puerto Rican Day Parade attacks
At least 44 women reported being sexually assaulted and robbed by a mob of 60 men on 11 June 2000 during the Puerto Rican Day Parade in New York. The police were heavily criticized for their handling of the attacks.

Seattle Mardi Gras riot (USA)

Further information: Seattle Mardi Gras riot
The riot occurred on February 27, 2001, when disturbances broke out in the Pioneer Square neighborhood during Mardi Gras celebrations in Seattle, Washington. There were numerous random attacks on revelers over a period of about three and a half hours. There were reports of widespread brawling, vandalism, and weapons being brandished. Damage to local businesses exceeded $100,000. Much of the violence was perpetrated by black men against white revelers, and about 70 people were reported injured. Several women were sexually assaulted. One man, Kris Kime, died of injuries sustained during an attempt to assist a woman being brutalized.

Sweden

Further information: We Are Sthlm sexual assaults
Mass sexual assaults were reported in Stockholm in 2014 and 2015, when female participants at We Are Sthlm, a teenage music festival, complained of having been surrounded and molested by groups of men. Police were accused of having failed to publicize the attacks because the suspects were mostly from Afghanistan.

Vietnam

In July 2015 women at a water park in Hanoi, Vietnam, reported mass sexual assault by several groups of 70–80 men.

I found this via the following link which provides a good summary of the issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taharrush_jamai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 11:56 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Taharrush is not an actual term it's a translation for harassment. It's just the fascist right's propaganda way of scare-mongering which is why I hate it when rational thinking people come over all PC and are indifferent or try to excuse/deviate from such appalling acts when it's us, the reasonable majority, that should be demanding the full force of the law! No excuses!!!

These acts happened with anomalous frequency on New Year's Eve and were perpetrated by Arab/North African men. All must be done to stop and reprimand the perpetrators instead of the Police & politicians sitting on the information for days until it leaks for fear of national reaction. Instead not being transparent and acting immediately makes it worse!

Old 02-09-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Taharrush is not an actual term it's a translation for harassment. It's just the fascist right's propaganda way of scare-mongering which is why I hate it when rational thinking people come over all PC and are indifferent or try to excuse/deviate from such appalling acts when it's us, the reasonable majority, that should be demanding the full force of the law! No excuses!!!

These acts happened with anomalous frequency on New Year's Eve and were perpetrated by Arab/North African men. All must be done to stop and reprimand the perpetrators instead of the Police & politicians sitting on the information for days until it leaks for fear of national reaction. Instead not being transparent and acting immediately makes it worse!

Okay I get that. I did not initially fully understand the situation, but I have a better idea now. I also do want to make clear that this situation is not an "Arab" norm. It is not socially acceptable in the Arab world regardless of if we are talking about Christian, Muslim or any other type of Arab. It should not be acceptable anywhere. It is scary and outrageous that this can happen anywhere.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:23 AM

33 posts, read 37,716 times
Other than getting some flirting from losers on the street, Bogota is not a destination that stands out as dangerous for a single woman.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:02 AM

Some more of my own photos of Bogota...

Copyright = ME!

Old 02-20-2016, 11:05 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Nice pics.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:07 PM

Pueblofuerte this is 100% not a critique of your photos. From a photo perspective they are great, but I cannot help but be underwhelmed or disappoint. These places in the photos to me look like many places in Europe, the USA or Canada. I think if I was from somewhere else where these types of buildings were not common I would be more excited. It is just like my reaction when driving through Panama. The tour guides kept on talking about these exciting tall buildings... and for someone like me from a major city I was like ya ya ya ... but look at that cool old building and the beach. I Like the festival/ event type photos. These ones just remind me of being stuck in a suburban area and being bored out of my mind. Personally when I am on vacation I want nonstop options for things to do or see. I personally found the first types of pictures (even the one on the mountain hiking place more desirable then these :P! What part of Bagota are these pictures from ... I don't want to get stuck in this part. It looks too familiar.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Pueblofuerte this is 100% not a critique of your photos. From a photo perspective they are great, but I cannot help but be underwhelmed or disappoint. This places in the photo to me look like many places in Europe, the USA or Canada. I think if I was from somewhere else where these types of buildings were not common I would be more excited. Like the festival/ event type photos. This ones just remind me of being stuck in a suburban area and being bored out of my mind. Personally when I am on vacation I want nonstop options for things to do or see. I personally found the first types of pictures (even the one on the mountain hiking place more desirable then these : P! Where part of Bagota are these pictures from ... I don't want to get stuck in this part. It looks too familiar.
I'm sorry that Bogota doesn't fit your desire to see colourful Caribbean bougainvillea and people dancing around with fruit bowls on their heads, but that simply isn't Bogota. If it's not your cup of tea then maybe Bogota simply isn't for you and I mean this in the nicest possible way but stereotypes just annoy me. Colombia was founded and influenced by European powers, that's just a fact and architecture is only a tiny bit of the story, the lifestyle, people and chaos will feel completely different.

You will find these places dotted around two of the most interesting localities of the city called Chapinero, Teusaquillo and Usaquen.

Some of my favourite haunts are 'Casa Babylon' and 'Petro se queda', precisely in these areas...

Casa Babylon 006 by Voodoo Souljah´s, on Flickr

by kekanto, https://kekanto.com.co/biz/casa-babylon

by ferwilber, https://acholombianos.wordpress.com/2014/02/

Old 02-21-2016, 05:54 PM

Bogota street musicians...

Old 02-21-2016, 05:59 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Pueblofuerte, how about showing us what 99% of the rest of Bogotá looks like, instead of the small area that has Tudor style buildings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas