Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:51 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Or more likely, you simply don't know what you're talking about. If you want to see studies, go ask your writer friends in academia to sit in their ivory towers and conduct a few. I live in the real world; I know hundreds of Argentines from every different background. I live here. I have 50 family members who live here. I know exactly what it's like. Don't try to tell me what I know, dude.
I love this argument, "I've stayed there more than you, therefore, my opinion is intrinsecally more accurate than yours."

I've lived in Argentina all my 32 years, I lived in a neighbourhood which is not exactly the best, and due to my job I had the opportunity to travel throughout the country (and I'm really thankful of it), including the most remote towns in Chaco or the most isolated settlements in Tierra del Fuego. Hence, I hold a more precise vision on the reality of the country.

Nah, it's not what it works like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 01:40 PM

881 posts, read 922,676 times
Mysterious Benefactor either doesn't live in ARgentina, or is not being sincere. Why would anyone live in another country being so afraid about his/her security and wellbeing?

Old 04-25-2017, 10:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
I've not been victimized myself, but virtually everyone I know has. I've been here for almost 3 years now, and I'm not uncomfortable. I live in a smaller city now, and among other reasons, the crime problem is why I'd never live in BA again, or any of the larger cities. Despite the problems, I happen to like it here.

And the last part of your question reveals not only naivete, but a complete lack of understanding of the problem. You seem to think that mobility is nothing but a matter of choice. That's like asking someone "Hey, if you don't like the traffic in LA or the summers in Houston, why do you stay there?" You need to realize that Argentines have accepted that crime and the fear of it are just part of their daily lives. It's all many have known.
You aren't Argentine, so why stay in a country you apparently hate? And what is this small time you say you stay in?

If the country is so awful, there is no reason for you to stay.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't consider Argentines "white". In order for me to elaborate, as we were in danger of doing earlier, we would have to veer well off-topic.
This is BS. People of Spanish and Italian descent are white. Obviously not every single person in Argentina is white, but the majority of people from Argentina are WHITE, as in obviously MEDITERRANEAN European!

Old 04-25-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Mysterious Benefactor either doesn't live in ARgentina, or is not being sincere. Why would anyone live in another country being so afraid about his/her security and wellbeing?
Yeah. He's just trolling. Got dumped by an Argentine girlfriend or something.

And is in a mysterious small town he can't name, because Argentines on this forum might be able to say something about said town.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:40 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
I love this argument, "I've stayed there more than you, therefore, my opinion is intrinsecally more accurate than yours."

I've lived in Argentina all my 32 years, I lived in a neighbourhood which is not exactly the best, and due to my job I had the opportunity to travel throughout the country (and I'm really thankful of it), including the most remote towns in Chaco or the most isolated settlements in Tierra del Fuego. Hence, I hold a more precise vision on the reality of the country.

Nah, it's not what it works like.
I never made that argument. My point was, and remains, that the fear of crime is very real here. But because I haven't cited studies for him, writerdude doesn't want to accept it. And to bolster his argument, he claims to know a few Argentines and they never mentioned it. It certainly doesn't work like that.

I understand you're proud of your country(as you should be), but if you've been in Argentina your whole life, then you can't honestly deny what I'm saying is true.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You aren't Argentine, so why stay in a country you apparently hate? And what is this small time you say you stay in?

If the country is so awful, there is no reason for you to stay.
You guys aren't paying attention. In my previous post, I included both of these sentences:

"I've been here for almost 3 years now, and I'm not uncomfortable. Despite the problems, I happen to like it here."

I never said the country is awful; it isn't. I like Argentina, but that doesn't prevent me from seeing the problems that do exist, and being honest about them.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yeah. He's just trolling. Got dumped by an Argentine girlfriend or something.

And is in a mysterious small town he can't name, because Argentines on this forum might be able to say something about said town.
You guys are obviously welcome to believe whatever you like, it doesn't really matter to me. There's nothing mysterious about the city I live in, the name of it is Salta. It's a "smaller city" though, not a small town. But if you think I'm just trolling, surely you both must have better things to do than to keep posting.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 AM

836 posts, read 1,255,533 times
Quote:
I was speaking of the more affluent suburbs. I don't think they were being plagued with the amount of crime, even in the 70s, as similar neighborhoods in BA today.
I understand also you were speaking of the more affluent suburbs in New Jersey, Long Island, etc.

Seems to me that the amount of fear of crime in NYC neighbourhoods (though not the affluent suburbs) in the 1970s was about the same as the amount of fear of crime in BA city and suburbs these days?

Old 04-26-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I never made that argument. My point was, and remains, that the fear of crime is very real here. But because I haven't cited studies for him, writerdude doesn't want to accept it. And to bolster his argument, he claims to know a few Argentines and they never mentioned it. It certainly doesn't work like that.

I understand you're proud of your country(as you should be), but if you've been in Argentina your whole life, then you can't honestly deny what I'm saying is true.
Because any troll on the internet can make any claims and I have no proof you're in or have been to Argentina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas