Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:04 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
So from safest to least safe, there are the nice neighbourhoods in the US (safest), the nice neighbourhoods in Argentina (in the middle), and the bad neighbourhoods in both the US and Argentina (least safe)?
Yes.
Quote:
Is that because a) the police in middle/upper class areas of the US are much more trustworthy and corruption-free than in lower class areas of the US and in areas of any socioeconomic type in Argentina and b) there are more shantytowns and squatter settlements in Argentina than in the US?
I wouldn't say those are key factors. I think it's largely because crime is just that much more pervasive, and yes, I believe it's a cultural issue. I think police distrust/corruption does lead to a lot of non-reporting though, which tells me that the crime problem in Argentina is likely even worse than the statistics would indicate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Here, you're talking just about the present. But I don't know if you were around in the 1970s in the US (or if someone old enough to remember those days told you tales of crime dangers in New York City at that point), in order to properly compare 1970s NYC with present-day Buenos Aires? (At any rate, how old are you now?)
I'm in my mid 40s so I was a child through the 70s. As I understand it though, the crime in NYC at that time was pretty much limited to the inner city. How bad was it in the suburbs, an hour or more from downtown? That's the difference.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:06 AM

836 posts, read 1,254,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Yes.I wouldn't say those are key factors. I think it's largely because crime is just that much more pervasive, and yes, I believe it's a cultural issue. I think police distrust/corruption does lead to a lot of non-reporting though, which tells me that the crime problem in Argentina is likely even worse than the statistics would indicate.
So why would crime be much more pervasive in a place like Argentina than the US - because Argentine criminals don't sense as much of an effective police presence in many spots as their American counterparts do?

Quote:
I'm in my mid 40s so I was a child through the 70s. As I understand it though, the crime in NYC at that time was pretty much limited to the inner city. How bad was it in the suburbs, an hour or more from downtown? That's the difference.
I mean that within NYC, crime was not limited to the bad neighbourhoods. It affected as well, as I understand, the nice areas within NYC (e.g. Upper West Side and Columbia Univ.), though not in the suburbs in Long Island, New Jersey, Westchester, etc.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:20 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
So why would crime be much more pervasive in a place like Argentina than the US - because Argentine criminals don't sense as much of an effective police presence in many spots as their American counterparts do?

I mean that within NYC, crime was not limited to the bad neighbourhoods. It affected as well, as I understand, the nice areas within NYC (e.g. Upper West Side and Columbia Univ.), though not in the suburbs in Long Island, New Jersey, Westchester, etc.
Crime affected mice neighborhoods because criminals would jump over the turnstiles and get in the trains for free. In order to take the train to the suburbs, you have to get in the train where a conductor checks your ticket to see if it's valid. Sontge homeless and petty criminals didn't have easy access to the suburbs like they did nice areas. Times Square was full of hookers and junkies until the 90s. With that said New York st it's worst always had a sizable population of white people from wealthy to working class, so I'm not sure inner city ever actually applied.

And today NYC has few all one race neighborhoods. It's not Chicago or Detroit. Immigration and gentrification have changed the dynamics.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
NYC is huge so many areas an hour or so from downtown are a part of the city proper. The Bronx is one hour away from downtown Manhattan. The Bronx was literally burning as landlords got rid of tenants who couldn't pay by burning buildings for the first insurance money. Jamaica, Queens and Far Rockaway became awful as slum clearance in Manhattan dumped poor people in communities an hour or so from Manhattan. Coney Island, Brooklyn was pretty awful too.

NYC had and still has some high crime suburbs like Newark. I would point out not all of NYC's suburbs are affluent.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Yes.I wouldn't say those are key factors. I think it's largely because crime is just that much more pervasive, and yes, I believe it's a cultural issue. I think police distrust/corruption does lead to a lot of non-reporting though, which tells me that the crime problem in Argentina is likely even worse than the statistics would indicate.
We're you personally the victim of crime in Argentina? Are you still there? How long did you stay there and why stay in a place you feel uncomfortable in!

Old 04-25-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Again, I don't think it's a matter of policing, I believe it's a cultural and race issue.
Quote:
I was speaking of the more affluent suburbs. I don't think they were being plagued with the amount of crime, even in the 70s, as similar neighborhoods in BA today.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:33 AM

836 posts, read 1,254,545 times
Quote:
Again, I don't think it's a matter of policing, I believe it's a cultural and race issue.
Please elaborate on that further, other than that it's largely mestizo-on-white or poor white-on-rich white.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
We're you personally the victim of crime in Argentina? Are you still there? How long did you stay there and why stay in a place you feel uncomfortable in!
I've not been victimized myself, but virtually everyone I know has. I've been here for almost 3 years now, and I'm not uncomfortable. I live in a smaller city now, and among other reasons, the crime problem is why I'd never live in BA again, or any of the larger cities. Despite the problems, I happen to like it here.

And the last part of your question reveals not only naivete, but a complete lack of understanding of the problem. You seem to think that mobility is nothing but a matter of choice. That's like asking someone "Hey, if you don't like the traffic in LA or the summers in Houston, why do you stay there?" You need to realize that Argentines have accepted that crime and the fear of it are just part of their daily lives. It's all many have known.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Please elaborate on that further, other than that it's largely mestizo-on-white or poor white-on-rich white.
Well, I don't consider Argentines "white". In order for me to elaborate, as we were in danger of doing earlier, we would have to veer well off-topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas