Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2021, 01:29 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,558,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The good news about the new Cuban vaccine is that price gouging (yes, that's what I call it) regarding top Covid vaccines most likely will not take place. I really hope they are generous with Haiti and just give millions of vaccines (with no political proganda, the temptation must be high, lol.) Cuba is close by (from my understanding, the mountains of the Sierra Maestra in eastern Cuba can be seen in the horizon on a clear day from the Saint Nicholas point in northwestern Haiti). It's a case of getting production high in Cuba and ship the vaccines SAP. Haiti is also not a big country (10 to 11 million people in an area roughly the size of Maryland, crammed into less than that considering more than 80% is mountainous and a very high percentage of those are some of the ruggest mountain chains in the Caribbean.)

Jamaica too, another neighbor of Cuba, could use some free vaccines too to get those vaccinated numbers skyrocketing. That's a smaller country with 3 million folks and that may be too much. Basically and for comparison, Jamaica's population more or less fits in Port-au-Prince. Heck, even Havana is comparable in population size.

The biotech industry is one of the few things I see with good eyes about Cuba, created under Fidel Castro's dictatorship. I hope once democracy and capitalism returns, Cuba's biotech industry will get larger and better.
Jamaica and T&T have had tremendous difficulties sourcing sufficient quantities of vaccine as they relied on, and made a down payment to Covax and the India problem has created huge supply issues. Until WHO/PAHO approve the Cuban vaccine they are not going to take it. T&T has sourced a good amount from J&J and its a one dose so that will help them begin to vaccinate quickly as supplies arrive.

There is significant vaccine hesitancy in the English speaking Caribbean (they watch too much CNN and BBC so know all about early teething problems, blood clots and the EU political wrangling over Astrazenca). The last thing these gov'ts want will be a problem with the Cuban vaccine.

The smaller islands are doing well with St Kitts, Antigua and Barbados at US level first dose. Guyana benefitted from the vaccine diplomacy of Russia and China and got some early supplies in addition to sources from India. They arent doing too badly. Luckily though Jamaica and T&T arent in the dire straits of some South American nations, even though they are currently going through spikes.

Haiti has a big population when one considers their almost complete absence of health infrastructure especially in the rural areas. Go to NYC healthcare facilities with the numerous Haitian doctors/nurses and one can see the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 08:29 AM

5,724 posts, read 4,322,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
it is a lack of vaccines.

So my (and many people's) impression that Costa Rica as a progressive, forward thinking country with a competent health care system is delusion?

Old 06-26-2021, 10:00 AM

10,195 posts, read 15,069,363 times
Costa Rica is still a good little country, but relative to other Latin American countries many have catch up to CR on many fronts and in some cases surpassed it. How it is handling the Covid epidemic is satisfactory for what is typical in the region or maybe slightly above, but overall it isn't doing a better job than is typical for Latin America.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Costa Rica is still a good little country, but relative to other Latin American countries many have catch up to CR on many fronts and in some cases surpassed it. How it is handling the Covid epidemic is satisfactory for what is typical in the region or maybe slightly above, but overall it isn't doing a better job than is typical for Latin America.

I don't see how doing worse than Brazil, which has drawn criticism from all quarters for its handling of the pandemic, places Costa Rica in the "slightly above" anything category.

I guess it is statistically slightly above El Salvador and Mexico but that's still a pretty sad place to be for a country with a reputation like CR.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I don't see how doing worse than Brazil, which has drawn criticism from all quarters for its handling of the pandemic, places Costa Rica in the "slightly above" anything category.

I guess it is statistically slightly above El Salvador and Mexico but that's still a pretty sad place to be for a country with a reputation like CR.
The region has more than 20 countries and Costa Rica is above all of them except for five.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:46 AM

1,007 posts, read 889,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post

The point is that Costa Rica is fully dependent of imported vaccines how are most countries in the world. Brazil in another hand produces and even is able to design vaccines.

So even with the disastrous Bolsonaro politics and pandemic management, São Paulo state and Rio de Janeiro state are producing by themselves vaccines and suplying the whole country.
In H1N1 pandemic Brazil vaccinated the population fully in only 3 months, that's what could have happened in this pandemic too if we hadn't had this ******* Bolsonaro causing troublesome.

Old 07-01-2021, 05:13 PM

OK, I get it now.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:37 AM

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers...RG~URY~PRY~BOL

Old 07-03-2021, 08:27 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,431,616 times
Canada is finally catching up. By the end of the month(or less) we should also be leading in double doses.

My home country as always lagging behind the entire world.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:11 AM

Brazil dropped off the end of the earth?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas