Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:38 PM

5,776 posts, read 11,419,876 times

Advertisements

Ecuador is a pretty good choice. Many people that visit there are unprepared for the rather cold morning or evening temperatures in the high altitude places like Quito (almost 9000 feet elevation). Don't forget to bring a decent warm sweater or jacket any time of year. There is no summer or winter, just rainy season and dry season, so it's similar temperatures year round. No need to exchange money, Ecuador went practically broke several years ago so they gave up having their own currency and now the US dollar is the currency used throughout the country (just like in Panama).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 05:21 PM

25 posts, read 86,992 times
Hey, PDX_LAX -- I had the same question back in 2002. I chose Quito, Ecuador and it worked out very well. I returned 1-3 times per year since then to take more classes and visit. Two months ago my wife and I bought an apartment there. It has all worked out very well. Whatever you choose, good luck!

Old 03-30-2010, 03:44 AM

313 posts, read 779,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
I was going to say Ecuador as well! You can also teach English there and some institutos offer free Spanish if you are a native speaker of English, provided you work for them. I love Ecuador!!!
Really, how?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 PM

43,792 posts, read 44,564,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyRudd View Post
Really, how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama
I was going to say Ecuador as well! You can also teach English there and some institutos offer free Spanish if you are a native speaker of English, provided you work for them. I love Ecuador!!!
----------------------------------------------------
I taught English in Guayaquil, Ecuador for one year at a university there. The university arranged for me a cultural exchange visa. I got the job before I went to Ecuador.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:25 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,009,299 times
Antigua, Guatemala - hands down. Lovely city, beautiful surroundings, lots to do, great people, loads of excellent language schools.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 PM

228 posts, read 811,263 times
Can you post more information about teaching about the universities in Ecuador? I heard something about the same in Nicaragua... but havent been able to find out more about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama
----------------------------------------------------
I taught English in Guayaquil, Ecuador for one year at a university there. The university arranged for me a cultural exchange visa. I got the job before I went to Ecuador.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas