Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:35 PM

39 posts, read 65,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have to admit that even after nine years of making that daily 50 mile drive into Anchorage, I still am awe-struck by the scenery. I never get tired of seeing the sun rise over Pioneer Peak.
I have a feeling it will be the same for us. I am so excited at the idea of this adventure. I would so much rather have a view like that on my drive home than buildings, homeless people, and massive ads everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
While moving snow is certainly physical, I think Alaska's weather has a bigger psychological effect. Some people have problems dealing with the lack of sunlight during the winter, or the abundance of sunlight during the summer.
I can imagine so! Honestly, I think if anything the abundance of sunlight would be more bothersome to me than the darkness. I know its not same, but I know here even in Portland, a LOT of people have trouble with how dreary it is most of the year. I wont say that its the same but for as many people as I see having trouble dealing with rain and clouds 9 months of the year, it never has phased me. I love it. I suspect I for the summers in Alaska I might just have to invest in some really really good blinds or curtains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 02:41 PM

39 posts, read 65,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Yea the cabin with its own well was a little over the top, but just to go out and shoot clay pigeons is like 100$ or more plus the initial cost of a nice clay pigeon shot gun, just FYI gas is not a few bucks anymore.
Curious, how much is gas running up there for you all right now?

Quote:
Thats just the nature of alaska, heck just a large pizza at a good pizza place is between 20 and 30 bucks when you factor tip and a few sodas
Actually, that's pretty much the same here... My husband would kill me if I didn't ask as he LOVES pizza with a passion. Is there a few places we can look forward to getting good pizza up there then?

Quote:
The only thing that is super fun that is free (if you are in a healthy relationship) is sex.
Agreed! True in any state!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:46 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,619,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaeve View Post
In Anchorage/Valley it's about $3.80 a gallon.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:56 PM

275 posts, read 580,027 times
Quote:
I think I paid 3.79 last week at the Tesaro in Wasilla. The north Costco at Debarr was 3.72 this morning. Carrs/Safeway out on Northern Lights and Minnesota was 3.74 + 3 cent discount for club card members

You can always check here:
Alaska Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Alaska

Quote:
Actually, that's pretty much the same here... My husband would kill me if I didn't ask as he LOVES pizza with a passion. Is there a few places we can look forward to getting good pizza up there then?
When I'm not making my own, I'm partial to Piccolinos in Wasilla or the Moose's Tooth in Anchorage.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:38 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,861,039 times
Quote:

Agreed! True in any state!
Anyone can find what they want, the little "all about sex" weenie plays over and over, repeat over and over or too expensive....He is already in deep doo doo with the gov for child support, so take it at whatever his issues are....any good restaurant in AK is more than the -48, you get what you pay for up there, I chose to make my own though too and go buy a 12-pack

Old 09-21-2012, 12:31 PM

8 posts, read 10,928 times
Hello! What are the latest thoughts on the drive from Eagle River into Anchorage? We have some friends moving to Alaska for the husband's job, and we are very, very tempted to follow them! I think our best bet for work, and where our friends will probably end up, is Anchorage, but I'm not sure we'd want to live IN Anchorage. We currently live near Joplin, MO, and that town is big enough to live in, so we want smaller! Any insight, advice, web resources you could provide would be fantastic! Thank you!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:36 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlwhit03 View Post
Hello! What are the latest thoughts on the drive from Eagle River into Anchorage? We have some friends moving to Alaska for the husband's job, and we are very, very tempted to follow them! I think our best bet for work, and where our friends will probably end up, is Anchorage, but I'm not sure we'd want to live IN Anchorage. We currently live near Joplin, MO, and that town is big enough to live in, so we want smaller! Any insight, advice, web resources you could provide would be fantastic! Thank you!
Eagle River is only about a 15 minute drive to downtown Anchorage. One thing you should take into consideration is the lack of sunlight during the winter. Eagle River is on the north side of the Chugach Range, which means that during the majority of the winter you will be in the shadow of the mountains. There is still reflected light, but no direct sunlight during the winter months.

The good news is that winters in Eagle River are not that much different than Joplin, MO. True, the winters are longer, and there is more snow, but the temperatures are pretty similar. There will be a few days when the temperature will drop to -20°F, but only a few. The vast majority of the time the temperature will range from 0°F to 30°F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage