Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:34 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
This morning I had to make a quick stop on Tudor on my way into the office. As ususal, I took 36th east from the Seward Hwy a couple blocks past my destination, made a right down a side street and approached Tudor to make a right turn as well. As I was waiting for oncoming traffic at the corner with my turn signal flashing, a white F150 approched me from behind to make a right turn as well. However, this clown apparently did not want to wait, so without slowing he went around me to the left and pulled directly in front of the oncoming traffic on Tudor, nearly causing a multi-car collision. It was only the fact that Tudor was dry that the cars there had a chance to execute an emergeny stop.

This incident confirms what I have seen over and over here on Anchorage streets. There is a percentage of drivers on the road (probably 10-15%) who obviously believe that the normal rules of the road simply do not apply to them. Their selfish attitudes (probably due to poor upbringing by their parent) put the safety (and the very lives) of others at risk simply because they refuse to wait a few extra seconds to get to their destinaton.
The F-150 you speak of was definitly in the wrong but thats also an extreme case. In most cases people are trying to find a tiny window of opprotunity to turn out and will be cutting it close no matter what otherwise they might as well just put their vehical in park kick their seat back and read a good book, some segments of road at certian times are THAT BAD if you dont dart out. This is why lights go up everywhere because at least then you know that you will only be waiting a prescribed amount of time and your off instead of having to go see a chiropractor after you finally get on the road. Having so many lights then backs up the traffic even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:51 PM

39 posts, read 65,125 times
Hey there everyone! This is my first post here. I have been reading through many of these threads. Some which have kind of surprised me, others, not so much. Anyway, on to my question...

For those that have driven in cities outside of Alaska, do you think someone who is used to inner city driving could handle the traffic up there (knowing how to drive in the different weather aside). I keep receiving warnings from people regarding the commute from Wasilla to Anchorage, especially when there is an accident. Now, I am used to it taking 30 minutes to an hour to get to work currently... which is 7 miles away. Thirty minutes is the quickest, during non-rush hour times with no accidents. So many lights, traffic, stops and turns.

My husband and I are really hoping to move up there. We have wanted to for years but it wasn't until just recently that we have potential job offers and have the chance to really make this happen. We are just trying to look into all the details and logistics before making the big jump. I'm still reading through the forums but I would eagerly take any and all advice!

Thanks everyone!

- Michelle -

Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaeve View Post
Hey there everyone! This is my first post here. I have been reading through many of these threads. Some which have kind of surprised me, others, not so much. Anyway, on to my question...

For those that have driven in cities outside of Alaska, do you think someone who is used to inner city driving could handle the traffic up there (knowing how to drive in the different weather aside). I keep receiving warnings from people regarding the commute from Wasilla to Anchorage, especially when there is an accident. Now, I am used to it taking 30 minutes to an hour to get to work currently... which is 7 miles away. Thirty minutes is the quickest, during non-rush hour times with no accidents. So many lights, traffic, stops and turns.

My husband and I are really hoping to move up there. We have wanted to for years but it wasn't until just recently that we have potential job offers and have the chance to really make this happen. We are just trying to look into all the details and logistics before making the big jump. I'm still reading through the forums but I would eagerly take any and all advice!

Thanks everyone!

- Michelle -
The commute time from "wasilla" can vary drasticly depending on where in wasilla you are (what many refer to as "wasilla" is really a pretty huge area). I have done test commutes from outside of palmer and it took me well over an hour (about an hour and 45 min) to get to mid town with no wrecks or no new snow in the middle of winter. Even though the population in the anchorage/valley area is low compared to "inner cities" the roads were never designed to handle the traffic that exists in the anchorage/valley area so it makes congestion extremely bad in the rush 3 hours lol. Some people think that stagared work schedules should be legislated at least for govt workers and military that way everyone and there brother is not out on the roads at the same time. If peoples release from work were staggered even just 30 min it would make things ALOT better. Even during non rush hours, that commute is brutal on your car and results in more frequent maintaince, tires, gas, etc so that money you saved on your house is soon chewed up and once your car expenses exceeed the savings on your house you are operating in the hole. Plus the 2-3 hours every day it chews up in your time that you could be doing other things. For me commute times of that length and duration are deal breakers. 30 min is ok but thats pushing it even for eagle river as most of the traffic piles up between eagle river and anchorage so most of your time sitting in traffic is when you get closer to anchorage so you could still be looking at a 45 min commute and eagle river is almost as expensive as most places in anchorage (for something nice anyways).

However some people just absolutly have to have certian things that the valley offers. Although wasilla has its own rush hour that is almost as bad as anchorage down the parks hwy in the middle of wasilla. Wasilla used to be a nice little town and it was aweful to see traffic backed up a mile at any given light the last time I went there on my day off and accidentally hit it during rush hour.

Last edited by highlife2; 01-04-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 PM

275 posts, read 579,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
The commute time from "wasilla" can vary drasticly depending on where in wasilla you are (what many refer to as "wasilla" is really a pretty huge area). I have done test commutes from outside of palmer and it took me well over an hour (about an hour and 45 min) to get to mid town with no wrecks or no new snow in the middle of winter.
It took you an hour and 45 minutes to drive from Palmer to Mid-town? When did you commute, I just want to know when the traffic is that bad.

I drive from the valley everyday, leaving at 7:00-7:15am from Wasilla, near KGB and the Parks. It's right around an hour each day at 45 miles distance.

If traffic gets bunched up at Eagle River, it will add some time. However, unless there is a bad accident, it's not too bad. Then again, I commuted in DC, LA, Boston, and San Francisco. I can remember 2-3 days in the past year coming into town where it took more than 1 30 minutes to do the commute and maybe about the same coming back.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:35 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
The commute time from "wasilla" can vary drasticly depending on where in wasilla you are (what many refer to as "wasilla" is really a pretty huge area). I have done test commutes from outside of palmer and it took me well over an hour (about an hour and 45 min) to get to mid town with no wrecks or no new snow in the middle of winter. Even though the population in the anchorage/valley area is low compared to "inner cities" the roads were never designed to handle the traffic that exists in the anchorage/valley area so it makes congestion extremely bad in the rush 3 hours lol. Some people think that stagared work schedules should be legislated at least for govt workers and military that way everyone and there brother is not out on the roads at the same time. If peoples release from work were staggered even just 30 min it would make things ALOT better. Even during non rush hours, that commute is brutal on your car and results in more frequent maintaince, tires, gas, etc so that money you saved on your house is soon chewed up and once your car expenses exceeed the savings on your house you are operating in the hole. Plus the 2-3 hours every day it chews up in your time that you could be doing other things. For me commute times of that length and duration are deal breakers. 30 min is ok but thats pushing it even for eagle river as most of the traffic piles up between eagle river and anchorage so most of your time sitting in traffic is when you get closer to anchorage so you could still be looking at a 45 min commute and eagle river is almost as expensive as most places in anchorage (for something nice anyways).

However some people just absolutly have to have certian things that the valley offers. Although wasilla has its own rush hour that is almost as bad as anchorage down the parks hwy in the middle of wasilla. Wasilla used to be a nice little town and it was aweful to see traffic backed up a mile at any given light the last time I went there on my day off and accidentally hit it during rush hour.
If it takes you an hour and 45 minutes to drive 45 miles from Palmer to Anchorage, then you are only averaging 25.7 mph. You might try driving the posted speed limit. You will get there faster.

You also are grossly underestimating the savings of living in the Valley. We are not talking about chump change, as you seem to think. A home in Anchorage will cost you anywhere from $75,000 to $125,000 more than the exact same home in the Valley, and you also get four times more land in the Valley than you would in Anchorage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
It took you an hour and 45 minutes to drive from Palmer to Mid-town? When did you commute, I just want to know when the traffic is that bad.

I drive from the valley everyday, leaving at 7:00-7:15am from Wasilla, near KGB and the Parks. It's right around an hour each day at 45 miles distance.

If traffic gets bunched up at Eagle River, it will add some time. However, unless there is a bad accident, it's not too bad. Then again, I commuted in DC, LA, Boston, and San Francisco. I can remember 2-3 days in the past year coming into town where it took more than 1 30 minutes to do the commute and maybe about the same coming back.
My experience is closer to yours. I live a little further down KGB, it is a 50 mile drive for me, and it only takes me an hour. I leave a little later than you, at around 7:15 AM, specifically to avoid the 7:00 AM rush.

Most of the time I can put my vehicle on cruise control and not take it off until I get to Eagle River.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 PM

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the info. If cost in a house is a factor (meaning we can't afford a house IN Anchorage but could afford one in the Valley) would you recommend possible looking in areas south of Anchorage verses in the Valley? Is there a rough commute that way too?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:43 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaeve View Post
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the info. If cost in a house is a factor (meaning we can't afford a house IN Anchorage but could afford one in the Valley) would you recommend possible looking in areas south of Anchorage verses in the Valley? Is there a rough commute that way too?
The closest community south of Anchorage is Indian Valley and Girdwood. That is perhaps an even worse commute, even though the distance is about the same. The Seward Highway is the only access to the Kenai Peninsula and during the winter it can be shut down for several hours due to avalanches. During the summer it is always packed with tourist RVs heading to the Kenai Peninsula. I would be willing to wager that there are ten times more deaths on that stretch of the Seward Highway than from either Palmer or Wasilla into Anchorage on the Glenn Highway during the same time period.

Girdwood is also more expensive than Anchorage. I would not advise moving to Indian Valley or Girdwood unless you had employment in those areas. Girdwood is to Alaska what Vale is to Colorado, both are expensive ski resort towns.

If you are concerned about the commute, you could compromise and move to either Chugiak or Peters Creek, east of Eagle River. They are both about 30 minutes from downtown Anchorage, and still in the Anchorage borough. To see any significant savings on a home, however, you have to live outside of the Anchorage borough.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post

There was no wreck and it started backing up as soon as birchwood, I can remember comming to a 15 or 20 mph crawl. It litterally took forever to get into anchorage. Maybe there was an accident and they got it all cleaned up and all the emergency vehicals had left before I got through. I will have to retry the test commute but as soon as I hit 20 mph before I even hit Eagle river I was not a happy camper. The fact that it happens at all makes me weary of ever buying anything in the valley as I am guessing accidents and ditch divers happen more often than not, even the rubber necking from a ditch diver will slow traffic significantly.

Also regardless of traffic your still puting over 100 miles on your vehical every single day. The only way I could justify it is if I could work from home half time or more, of course even then you cant know if you will be able to maintain that schedule for 15-30 years. Heck if I could work from home 3 days out of a 5 day week I would live at wolf lake with private air strip access. I would loose it commuting 5 days a week.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The closest community south of Anchorage is Indian Valley and Girdwood. That is perhaps an even worse commute, even though the distance is about the same. The Seward Highway is the only access to the Kenai Peninsula and during the winter it can be shut down for several hours due to avalanches. During the summer it is always packed with tourist RVs heading to the Kenai Peninsula. I would be willing to wager that there are ten times more deaths on that stretch of the Seward Highway than from either Palmer or Wasilla into Anchorage on the Glenn Highway during the same time period.

Girdwood is also more expensive than Anchorage. I would not advise moving to Indian Valley or Girdwood unless you had employment in those areas. Girdwood is to Alaska what Vale is to Colorado, both are expensive ski resort towns.

If you are concerned about the commute, you could compromise and move to either Chugiak or Peters Creek, east of Eagle River. They are both about 30 minutes from downtown Anchorage, and still in the Anchorage borough. To see any significant savings on a home, however, you have to live outside of the Anchorage borough.
Thank you so much for the details. It sounds like up near Wasilla, Palmer or Willow is our best bet then. My husband is struggling with the idea that with all the snow you get that the average commute could still be just about an hour for 40 to 50 miles. I suppose we are just used to people who never know how to drive in snow and refuse to go over 35 mph.

Do you think the commute is quicker because people actually know how to drive in snow there and that the highway is well plowed? It sounds like really the only time there is a bad back up is for an accident. I assume bad weather and fresh snow slow things down.

I keep having to remind myself that income may not be an issue in purchasing a home but I know that we would really prefer to have at least 2 acres or so with our home. Is is possible to get that in Eagle River or closer to Anchorage or is the best land found in the valley area?

Thanks again everyone! You are such a great help!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Also regardless of traffic your still puting over 100 miles on your vehical every single day. The only way I could justify it is if I could work from home half time or more, of course even then you cant know if you will be able to maintain that schedule for 15-30 years. Heck if I could work from home 3 days out of a 5 day week I would live at wolf lake with private air strip access. I would loose it commuting 5 days a week.
The miles is definitely a change, but the time frame sounds like it wont be all that different than what I am used to. Prior to the house I am in now i drove an hour each way to work and I was only 25 miles away, technically still in the city I worked. I would MUCH rather have at least a beautiful sceneic route each day if I am going to be driving so much. As for the wear and tear on the vehicle, being married to a mechanic helps.

So much to think about and so much planning to do! Thank you so much for your input and help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage