Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,457 times

Advertisements

Folks,
I live in TX, but would love to hear directly from the citizens from Phoenix on what changes y’all see after the SB1070 went into effect (at least part of it) last week.

Please explain the changes you see in a few words.

Thanks and have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 PM

308 posts, read 792,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I agree, JA. So let's look at this reasonably:

- According to FBI stats, there IS NO CRIME WAVE POURING ACROSS OUR BORDER. Crime is actually down across the board ( as is illegal immigration)

- No terrorist attack to date has been committed by a person in this country illegally.

- You will NEVER be able to "secure the border" with Mexico, or find a way to deport 12 million illegals.

- Children born on US soil will always be citizens of the US (see my earlier posts.

I know we are under a lot of anti-immigrant pressure right now. Happens every time the economy takes a dump. But we can't allow ourselves to get all riled up. This is an election year, and the pols are ready to yank our chains and expolit our fears. Don't fall for it!
-The very act of crossing the border is illegal, hence a crime. As I said before, it does not bode well that the first thing illegals do on American soil is break the law.

-No terrorist attack yet, thank God.

-We can do MUCH better at securing the border than we are now.

-Because a child is born here doesn't mean we have to let the parents stay here, and give them all the benefits. Let them become legal the proper way.

-There is no reason to allow illegal activity to go on just because we do not want to seem "extreme". Legal is legal, and illegal is not. It is about standing up for what is right.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:18 PM

260 posts, read 512,203 times
In my opinion, a lot of people are stuck on racial profiling.But there is no straight line that would separate one race from another. There is no color chart that could tell what race a person is, there is no straight and exact line there. There is no racial odor meter, no Straight odor
line that would divide the races. There is no straight line how any race looks like.
All this racial profiling talk is just a lot of hooey.
And all the protesting and boycotting and all the problem was mainly about racial profiling.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:27 PM

56 posts, read 63,731 times
Quote:
I know we are under a lot of anti-immigrant pressure right now. Happens every time the economy takes a dump. But we can't allow ourselves to get all riled up. This is an election year, and the pols are ready to yank our chains and expolit our fears. Don't fall for it!
It is NOT anti-immigrant. It IS anti-border-jumping criminal who wants the whole enchilada without doing anything for it...like getting into the country the LEGAL, right and honorable way. File the paperwork and wait your turn. Is that so difficult to understand?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:32 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,730,417 times
The part of the law that allows the arrest of employers is intact, so now we will see if Arizona meant to actually do something about immigration or just harass hispanics

Old 08-09-2010, 07:59 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,455,474 times
Quote:
I agree, JA. So let's look at this reasonably:

- According to FBI stats, there IS NO CRIME WAVE POURING ACROSS OUR BORDER. Crime is actually down across the board ( as is illegal immigration)
Pah.

I have an idea.

Let's disband the city of Washington DC and its surrounding area.

Let's build all new political buildings in a lo-ong line on the border from the Gulf in Texas to the Pacific in California.

Let's make it a law any employee of these new buildings have to live within 20 miles of their workplace.

Then let's hear what they have to say.

I think that's very reasonable.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,295,458 times
Quote:
What??? You don't call the shooting of the SE Arizona rancher, the smuggling of illegals across the border, the drug cartels, and Phoenix being one of the highest kidnapping cities in the world a crime wave?! There is plenty of crime happening along the U.S./Mexico border and it has already spilled over to our side. Even just crossing the border without being a legal citizen or having the proper papers is a crime in itself.

Quote:
- No terrorist attack to date has been committed by a person in this country illegally.
I'll give you this, but how do you know it will never happen?

Quote:
- You will NEVER be able to "secure the border" with Mexico, or find a way to deport 12 million illegals.
Ever wonder why the border was never fully secured in the first place? Why were 12 million + illegals even allowed to be over here taking advantage of all the freebies? The feds have been very negligent in border security for too long. The majority of American citizens have had enough, and there will be a lot of work to do, but it IS possible to deport most of these illegals and have more effective border security to prevent a repeat of this disaster. It has come to the point where we need to make up for the mistakes of the past.

Quote:
- Children born on US soil will always be citizens of the US (see my earlier posts.
It will be difficult to change the Constitution, I admit. However, it has been done in the past. Look at Prohibition as an example ... that was a huge mistake that never should have been enacted into law (not to mention an amendment). The Fourteenth Admendment, as well intentioned as it was at the time of ratification, now needs to be changed. It can be done, and there are more people jumping on the bandwagon to have this amended.

Quote:
The issue of illegal immigration is a continuous one. It doesn't matter if it's an election year or not. The majority of citizens want better enforcement of immigration laws, and that doesn't mean that the majority are against immigration in general. We can't keep allowing people to reside illegally over here and letting them sponge off government services that they're not entitled to.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:57 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,730,417 times
Let's see. The ranchers death is still undetermined and could have been a dispute between the myriad of militias running rampant in Cochise County. The claim about kidnapping has been refuted as phoney, and crime has been down here in Arizona each of the last five years. Let's see how many employers Sherriff Joe goes after

Old 08-10-2010, 01:24 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,647,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Let's see. The ranchers death is still undetermined and could have been a dispute between the myriad of militias running rampant in Cochise County. The claim about kidnapping has been refuted as phoney, and crime has been down here in Arizona each of the last five years. Let's see how many employers Sherriff Joe goes after

I wonder why he only seems to go after Hispanic citizens? I see plenty of white tweekers running around twitching in the streets, looking for cars to rob or tricks to turn, they are a big and increasingly violent problem as well and I would love to see him do a sweep on a neighborhood full of meth heads and meth lab houses!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:43 PM

13,240 posts, read 21,867,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Let's see. The ranchers death is still undetermined and could have been a dispute between the myriad of militias running rampant in Cochise County.
Oh, please. The vast bulk of the evidence in the case points to Mexican drug runners, and it's the prevailing theory by the local law enforcement. There is zero evidence to support your militia dispute theory, which frankly seems absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona