Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 01:59 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,742,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Let's see. The ranchers death is still undetermined and could have been a dispute between the myriad of militias running rampant in Cochise County. The claim about kidnapping has been refuted as phoney, and crime has been down here in Arizona each of the last five years. Let's see how many employers Sherriff Joe goes after
GOOD GRIEF, Boompa . . . it could have been Martians too but not likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 03:24 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,393,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
Folks,
I live in TX, but would love to hear directly from the citizens from Phoenix on what changes y’all see after the SB1070 went into effect (at least part of it) last week.

Please explain the changes you see in a few words.

Thanks and have a great day.
In 2001 Arizona was #1 in the country for vehicle thefts

In 2008 -- the year that we enacted the law severely punishing employers for hiring and employing illegal aliens -- We dropped to #19 in car thefts in the country. AZ Govt Statistics estimated that close to 1 million illegal aliens left the state that year.

We are now #40 in the country for car thefts. Tucson is now #24.
Phoenix battles auto theft - Phoenix Business Journal

Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,647,299 times
"Florida will not be a sanctuary state for illegal aliens," added McCollum, accompanied by Representative Will Snyder.
The legislation will require Florida law enforcement officials to check a suspected illegal immigrant's status in the course of a stop, or a violation of another law. This goes beyond the existing situation in the state where officers are allowed to check immigration status, but not required to.

Florida AG proposes tougher illegal immigrant curbs | Reuters

The above is known as The State of Arizona Domino Effect.

And that's a Good Thing.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:16 AM

3,564 posts, read 4,407,007 times
As a Hispanic man who's lived legally in the USA for more than 30 years, I congratulate Arizona for taking the road less traveled and for taking a bold stance against illegal immigration.

Some of us Hispanics who migrate to this country do so with the intention of ridding ourselves from the corruption which plagues our countries of origin. We come here to better ourselves and to become productive Citizens of main stream society. Of the "some" a few of us do manage to achieve the so called "American Dream." The American Dream is nothing more than what responsible law abiding people want, regardless of their ethnic background.

At my place of work I feel fortunate to share my American Dream with people from places like Vietnam, India, Taiwan, The Phillipines, etc.; people who are here legally and do their very best to comply with the law, learn the language and customs of everyday USA, and be assets (not burdens) of society.

No matter our backgrounds, we share a civil and respectful commonality based on the fact that we are here to better ourselves - and in the process - be productive Citizens of a great nation known as. . .The United States of America.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,060,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
As a Hispanic man who's lived legally in the USA for more than 30 years, I congratulate Arizona for taking the road less traveled and for taking a bold stance against illegal immigration.

Some of us Hispanics who migrate to this country do so with the intention of ridding ourselves from the corruption which plagues our countries of origin. We come here to better ourselves and to become productive Citizens of main stream society. Of the "some" a few of us do manage to achieve the so called "American Dream." The American Dream is nothing more than what responsible law abiding people want, regardless of their ethnic background.

At my place of work I feel fortunate to share my American Dream with people from places like Vietnam, India, Taiwan, The Phillipines, etc.; people who are here legally and do their very best to comply with the law, learn the language and customs of everyday USA, and be assets (not burdens) of society.

No matter our backgrounds, we share a civil and respectful commonality based on the fact that we are here to better ourselves - and in the process - be productive Citizens of a great nation known as. . .The United States of America.
And this is a perfect example of the type of immigrant that is needed and wanted in the U.S. ! I hope you've done well and continue to have good health and success.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,340,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And this is a perfect example of the type of immigrant that is needed and wanted in the U.S. ! I hope you've done well and continue to have good health and success.
The ones who sneak across the border to pick strawberries are also NEEDED. The reality is we NEED immigrant laborers, especially on the low end of the wage scale. What we really, really NEED is a system of rules, controls and enforcement that ensures that the ones we NEED are also the ones we WANT. We don't have that now and SB1070 doesn't help in that regard except, maybe, to goad Congress into taking action on immigration.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:05 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,872,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

I salute you, sir! Wish I could rep you again. I would be proud to call you brother.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:22 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,872,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The ones who sneak across the border to pick strawberries are also NEEDED. The reality is we NEED immigrant laborers, especially on the low end of the wage scale. What we really, really NEED is a system of rules, controls and enforcement that ensures that the ones we NEED are also the ones we WANT. We don't have that now and SB1070 doesn't help in that regard except, maybe, to goad Congress into taking action on immigration.
I agree that we need a system of rules that are enforced. I thought we had migrant work visa's but I could be wrong. It does look like 1070 has the potential to bring about change. There are several states that have bills in the making and more and more pressure is being placed on the Feds to protect the states or let them do the job. It would sure be easier if the Feds would just do their job, but they seem to just want to line the pockets of lawyers.

Arizona should be proud to have started this sweeping effort to see that the law of the land is upheld.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 AM

3,564 posts, read 4,407,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

I disagree. There are millions of able-bodied persons in our penal system who'd make excellent strawberry pickers. They can do this work for the same (or less) meager wage that illegals currently do it for. Meager wages are precisely what attracts millions of illegals from across oceans and our borders.

If anything, our "system of rules, controls and enforecement" should have certain educational requirements or - in the least - the ability to acquire certain educational requirements based on under-promoted/understaffed fields. Take for example the field of power generation. This is possibly one of the most under-promoted yet financially rewarding fields in the country. With many of us power-gen workers on the verge of retirement, there is and will be an enormous need within this field.

During the past 10 years, I've witnessed how a few of those entering the field in our company are newly arrived immigrants from places like Russia, The Phillipines, India, etc. More qualified workers will be rapidly needed. The immigrant screening process should take those needs into account.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:37 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,881,470 times
Default Poor immigrants not welcome?

I am against paying the free healthcare, food stamps for kids and other benefits bestowed upon illegal immigrants.

However, I notice that the immigrants we applaud for coming here legally tend to be middle class or higher up on the food chain.

Basically, you are welcome to come if you have money or education. I am just calling it the way it is.

My girlfriend was born here to parents who came here illegally 30 years ago. They were poor and came to Chicago to find jobs. They were granted amnesty in the 1980s and now pay into the system.

Her brother is married to a woman who came here when she was 7 years old and is now 26. They have a 4 year old and 1 year old. Though they are married and though her husband is a US citizen, they have told her to go back to Mexico for 2 years to live and then come back. Or she can wait which is what she has chosen to do given that she has 1 year old and 4 year old children who are citizens. This is a truly unfortunate situation and I am sure many on this board advocate deporting her, but no court in their right mind will do that due to the political backlash. Instead, she is waiting and should have papers in the next 2-3 years.

It should be noted that she works and pays taxes, working in the office of a physician. She has never been the recipient of food stamps or any other govt program, though she does come from a poor family. She is the most cautious driver I have ever seen but this makes sense given her legal status. I believe she was able to obtain a driver's license in Wisconsin a few years back as many other illegals in Chicago have done until they closed the loophole.

We just got back from a trip to LA and though she can flow domestically she is unable to return to Durango in Mexico, where she is from. She is also afraid to go to AZ to visit some cousins but I think she would be okay as it would be very difficult in the courts to deport her given her roots here. And I would be willing to personally fund her court costs and raise the issue with the media to make sure she is not deported.

People like her should be given papers immediately.

It is the other ones who do not pay into the system but instead milk the system at taxpayer expense that should be deported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona