Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 07:52 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,530,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Should pot be allowed to be sold at Walgreen, or 711 (w/ id of course)? What do you think?
I would say "yes" if it's approved by the FDA, ordered through a doctor's prescription, and handled by the pharmacy.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:22 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,579,943 times
You really love government don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I would say "yes" if it's approved by the FDA, ....

Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 PM

As a core libertarian since 1979 I sorry that I disagree.

Libertarians are classical liberals. They are not modern day liberals or "liberals" as everyone thinks.

Libertarians are not liberals. Libertarians are not conservatives. Libertarians are libertarians.

My private lifestyle angers social conservatives. But it's my own lifestyle, it's non-aggressive, and it's my own business and makes me happy. I cannot say I am a conservative. They would (and have) made laws against my peaceful lifestyle.

At the same time I own a gun, I am in favor of regional defense (I don't like to use "national" in place of "regional" in this context), I am gung ho on investing to build wealth, I hate taxes and think we as a society would have a much higher standard of living if we abolished all unconstitutional agencies and the taxes that fund them.. I cannot say I am a "liberal."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
But Libertarians generally ARE conservatives

Old 10-28-2010, 11:50 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,314,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
As a core libertarian since 1979 I sorry that I disagree.

Libertarians are classical liberals. They are not modern day liberals or "liberals" as everyone thinks.

Libertarians are not liberals. Libertarians are not conservatives. Libertarians are libertarians.
Well, that's true. Presidential candidate Michael Badnarik (2004) said this almost word for word during one of his campaign speeches. If you mean "classical liberal" in the sense of somebody like Adam Smith, you would be correct. Smith believed in what is known today as free enterprise. This was a very liberal belief back in his day and in his country. But free enterprise in the form of "classical liberalism" was what America was founded on, and it is basically what modern day conservatives believe in.

Quote:
My private lifestyle angers social conservatives. But it's my own lifestyle, it's non-aggressive, and it's my own business and makes me happy. I cannot say I am a conservative. They would (and have) made laws against my peaceful lifestyle.
Not a true conservative like Goldwater. He basically respected people's individual freedoms, and maintained that government should stay out of people's personal lives. Unfortunately, when he passed on, his beliefs seemed to have passed on as well. The problem with today's GOP is, while they hold onto the belief that gov't should be kept small, they favor too much intervention in these private matters ... and that's pure hypocrisy. I was a Republican until a few years ago, then I wised up and realized that the Libertarian party is really the only party that truly believes in limited government in ALL aspects (business, fiscal matters, and so called "social issues").

Quote:
At the same time I own a gun, I am in favor of regional defense (I don't like to use "national" in place of "regional" in this context), I am gung ho on investing to build wealth, I hate taxes and think we as a society would have a much higher standard of living if we abolished all unconstitutional agencies and the taxes that fund them.. I cannot say I am a "liberal."
Same here. There are so many agencies on the federal level that should be abolished and turned over to either local control, or private enterprise. Education is one huge tax burden that I wish would be privatized and run like any other industry. Funny thing is I've been called a "right winger" on things like this, and a "progressive" on social issues ... so I guess I am a true Libertarian.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:45 AM

Good words Valley Native.

Barry Goldwater would be in favor of the Medical Marijuana referendum in Arizona if he was alive today. Yes, he was the last of the true Republicans. And if you call him a real conservative, then I am a conservative and the modern Republicans are certainly not.

In the past, the Goldwater types simply meant they wanted to conserve individual liberty and oppose government interference in our wallets, in our bodies, and in our bedrooms.

Now "conservative" reallly means to conserve big government. By that definition, Obama is a Conservative as well as George W. Bush and John McCain. Huckabee is for even more government. Note in 2008 he came out against a lot of free market ideas, and he also is a Pat Robertson social conservative activist against our civil liberties.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,084,315 times
Quote:
I would say "yes" if it's approved by the FDA, ordered through a doctor's prescription, and handled by the pharmacy.
Exactly!

Old 10-29-2010, 08:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,084,315 times
Quote:
For me it's not a love for the government but more a knowledge that the almighty $ generally overrides common sense,morals,safety etc. I'll look at just one point, if you don't have some kind of checks or regulations if you will in the delivery stream then you have NO idea the quality or safety of that product you're about to ingest. It could have been continuously sprayed with poisons,watered with DDT laced water or adulterated in hundreds of other ways making it more poisonous than medicinal. Currently there's NOTHING to make people show where they got the pot, how it was grown etc. Heck they're now holding the cigg companies feet to the fire, what makes y'all think the producers of this product won't do what the tobacco companies did since no one is telling 'em NO.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:45 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,530,992 times
Quote:
Well, I don't, but I also don't agree with raw freedom. There has to be some structure, some law, some moral code, some boundaries. It's certainly a gray area.
In the case of drugs, we set up a system to take care of that. However, we seem to be making a special exemption for one drug, I guess because it's popular....

Old 10-29-2010, 11:07 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,305,746 times
Default AZ is considering a medical marijuana bill not full legalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
For me it's not a love for the government but more a knowledge that the almighty $ generally overrides common sense,morals,safety etc. I'll look at just one point, if you don't have some kind of checks or regulations if you will in the delivery stream then you have NO idea the quality or safety of that product you're about to ingest. It could have been continuously sprayed with poisons,watered with DDT laced water or adulterated in hundreds of other ways making it more poisonous than medicinal. Currently there's NOTHING to make people show where they got the pot, how it was grown etc. Heck they're now holding the cigg companies feet to the fire, what makes y'all think the producers of this product won't do what the tobacco companies did since no one is telling 'em NO.
So you trust the FDA? The FDA where employees go from private industry to jobs there and back to private industry? The FDA that told Americans, many of them senior citizens on fixed incomes, not to buy their drugs in Canada, where they can be much cheaper, because they might not be safe, even though the Canadian Directorate of Therapeputic Products, which is responsible for Canada's drug safety, pointed out that the drugs in Canada go through government quality testing and had the same manufacturers and often the same packaging as the drugs in the USA?

Yeah, we can rely on them not to be the spokespersons for the Big Pharma industry and instead protect us from bad quality drugs. They did such a great job with Tylenol recently.

Fortunately 14 states have decided that this issue is too important to wait for the federal government to act, and many more are considering similar legislation. These states are confident that they can regulate the drug and ensure quality.

California is a worse case, but many other states are running responsible programs that really do help the sick and dying ease their pain without toxic side effects (like all those FDA approved addictive opiates), and without treating the patients as criminals. States have addressed quality control by requiring testing at independant labs for pesticides and other impurities to make sure it's safe.

AZ can too.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:47 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,410,722 times
Quote:
no I meant if it was next to the beer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona