Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 20,116 times

Advertisements

Ok here we go.
I am not a blogger or forum guy but I need help.
I am 38 and I was offered a CIV position in FT Huachuca.
I head out there in OCT/NOV 2011.
The wife and kids (4 and 6) will follow during Christmas Break.

I am a Brooklyn guy, and my wife is a Brooklyn Girl. We need the change to get away from NY Drama for awhile. If you’re from NY with Family in NY you know what I am talking about.
I was in SV in 2001 when I graduated from my 1st MOS out there. I was an AIT Soldier so I really didn't know the town or was looking at it from a “Raise your family” point of view.
I am a normal guy I say what I mean and I do what I say. I am a motorcycle guy who plays with my bikes a lot (Panhead, Shovelhead, and my FXR).
I am physically active, but my last jump (still jumping VIA Army Reserves) put me on a temporary profile. So i am a bit screwed up right now.
I have watched the news and everyone I spoke to said “OOOO Arizona, better watch out for those illegal’s…” Now I have learned over the years that the news is 10% reality and 90% fiction, but I do KNOW that AZ has some issues they are dealing with.
I guess I would like to know a few things. And from reading this forum, I decided that the group of users are a good honest group of helpful “forum people”… is that the right term??
First off, how bad is this illegal immigration problem in SV? I mean are people conducting watches to make sure the children are safe 24/7 – because that is how the TV is making it sound. I mean, I’m from NYC! I am sure that some of my friends may be illegal – ha ha ha. I am more concerned with the violence. I have little ones, and that is what really makes me nervous.
Second, maybe someone can recommend some good areas down there. Something nice and safe. Maybe areas that have good schools for the kids. In NY our mayor decided to close many of the public schools, and apparently, he feels that 75 kids in a class is adequate. My town has really changed over the past decade and it breaks my heart to leave here, but I know I have to get my kids out. Brooklyn isn’t the Brooklyn I grew up in. Too many hipsters and yuppies have pushed out the working class. There is no more stick ball in the street and if you ride a bicycle, you better have a helmet, knee pads elbo pads and a bubble, otherwise that 6 year old is breaking the law!! I mean I went through the barber shop window on my green machine when I was little, and the whipping I got from my mom was worse than the glass in my elbo… and I managed to survive childhood without the state enforced bubble kid law!! OK I am going off on a tangent…
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. A read a similar post about moving from NY to AZ “East Coast to Sierra Vista or Tuscon or bust!East Coast to Sierra Vista or Tuscon or bust! but it was dated 2008, and things have changed.
Any advice you can give to a soon to be NEW SV resident would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance everyone!!!
Your new friend, Chuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 11:53 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Welcome to City-Data! Please relax!

Others will chime in soon, but my general impression is that due to the military and Border Patrol presence, Sierra Vista's a remarkably safe town, particularly in terms of illegal aliens or border violence. The climate's good, the views are fabulous, and I think you and your family will enjoy your time there.

Last edited by Kimballette; 05-27-2011 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 20,116 times
Thanks Kimballette!
I'm feeling better already!

Old 05-27-2011, 02:38 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,698,705 times
I lived 9 miles south of Fry Blvd (the main drag) and HWY 92 at the base of the Huachucas. I had acreage there and had some problems with illegals hiding on my property at night and leaving stuff on the property when they left.
I also had a couple of instances where they tried to steal an older car we had on the property. They are trying to get out of the 25 mile zone from the border where almost any agency looking for them can come on your average if they want to unless you revoke that right. I had an issue with that as I had towers on my property for my ham radio hobby and was worried one of the Border Patrol SUVs would snag a guy wire and bring one of my antennas down.
My wife was born and raised in the Tombstone area, her cousin is the Sheriff and we lived there a few times until 2008 when we moved to the mountains for a little cooler retirement.
The illegals don't cause too many problems. I would not start my car and leave it running in the morning when it's cold unattended, you are inviting problems if you live semi rural like we did.
Also, if you have a 4 WD crew cab truck or 4 WD SUV that is 3/4 ton or heavier rated put a good alarm system in it as they have a habit of being stolen down in that area. They are then used to transport illegals or drugs over the border at night. That way if they are spotted they just abandon them and run from the SUV. The recovered trucks/SUVs are generally in pretty poor condition. The local police used to put out warnings down there to the residents that attended movies at the mall for example as the thieves would grab the SUV knowing you would be in the movies for a couple of hours and they would have time to get the truck over the border before you knew it was gone.
I must assume that you can drive? Sorry but I have known many from my Army days "66-72 that did not and had to learn and get a license that were from the east.
SV has almost everything you will need unless you are "shoppers" that need more upscale stuff than SV offers and then you are on the road to Tucson but I am sure you made that trip while there for AIT. By the way, I was a radio operator instructor in '67-8 while stationed at the fort myself.
I cannot recommend an area for you as I don't know what you want. Are you looking to buy or rent? Do you want to live in the town or just outside it in a semi rural situation like many do.
You will find taxes much cheaper in the county than within the city if you buy by the way, just at tip.
Feel free to PM me if you need any more information that I might have.
Good Luck in your new job and welcome to AZ.

Ken

Old 05-27-2011, 03:02 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
See? I knew someone with actual knowledge would be along shortly.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:15 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,366,715 times
It may take a bit of time to transition, but if you value family and outdoors, SV will be hard to beat.... 'specially coming from Brooklyn. SV has got to be safer than Brooklyn. BTW, my wife is from Brooklyn, while in SV, she learned how to identify snakes, she handled a Gila Monster, loved it. For a Brooklyn girl, she has learned how to deliver lambs, raise cows and rabbits...so there is hope for you and your family...you will adjust.
Good roads for scooter ridin' too, and AZ is NOT a helmet state. SV has a nice recreation complex complete with pool. Our son trained at FT. H, still working in his field, and returns on a regular basis.....it's a nice town.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-27-2011, 07:33 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
don't deal drugs or smuggle people and you'll be fine....

you'll see Border Patrol check stations along various highways down here, but we all face that....

you'll probably live in town, so that takes that rural exposure thing away....

if you go hiking up in the Huachucas or in other rural areas, you'll probably encounter some crossers or their trash left behind....it's the name of the game down here, but they're more scared of you, just like the snakes and coyotes you'll see soon enough here......

Old 05-27-2011, 07:55 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,698,705 times
And if you find a stash in the NF don't hang around it, get out of there quick! The people that own it intend to keep it.
The firefighters would find stashes frequently in the event of a fire. They are left for someone to pick up near the borders.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 PM

351 posts, read 975,548 times
Considering the recent decline in crime and murder rates in Brooklyn, I'd say Brooklyn is about as safe as Sierra Vista is right now. 5 years ago Brooklyn was worse. Tucson has a much higher crime rate than Sierra Vista does, and Phoenix is even worse, so Sierra Vista should be a relatively safe choice.

Yea, there is more immigrant activity out there than you will find further north, but generally speaking, they are just passing though, and won't stick around very long at all due to the large border patrol presence there.

I know several NYC people that have moved to the Tucson area recently. They say they miss NYC for all the things there was to do there. You may find yourself missing the drama a bit after a while. It's definitely a small laid back town compared to anything out east.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:23 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsoto View Post
You may find yourself missing the drama a bit after a while. It's definitely a small laid back town compared to anything out east.
good points from vjsoto.....

don't forget to slow your speech down a bit, add a very slight drawl, chat up the locals about that wildfire up in the Huachucas and how it may've started, debate the favorite Mexican food joint in town, and say "aw, shucks, yeah", when they ask, "are you from back east somewhere?"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona