Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:26 PM

268 posts, read 1,160,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
That's not what I said AlterEgo - The question was "Can you turn left on red if you're on a one way street turning onto another one way street?", and I answered yes, but I also said that you can also be on a 2-way street and turn left onto the one-way street, on red, when it's safe to do so, unless otherwise noted on a sign.

I can't think of any such intersections right now, but it would seem okay to make the left turn on red when traffic in the opposite direction is stopped, and there's no traffic on the one way street.
Exactly, what I said before, I don't think you can make a left turn on red when you are on a two-way street. I would think that would be pretty dangerous because you would have no visibility to the other light that could turn green at anytime before your left turn is complete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 06:09 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,271 times
Quote:
Exactly, what I said before, I don't think you can make a left turn on red when you are on a two-way street. I would think that would be pretty dangerous because you would have no visibility to the other light that could turn green at anytime before your left turn is complete.
Making a left on a red when you're on a two way, going onto a one-way is allowed in many states, and is safe. It's just not allowed in AZ. A good example in many areas is when you're on a two way street about to turn left onto a freeway service drive. You may make that left on the red when traffic is clear as long as it's not posted to the contrary. Many such intersections are posted "Complete Left Turn On Red When Traffic Clears" ONLY because many people do not know this turn is legal and will sit there with me steaming behind them. I may even cut around them to make the turn and have them still sitting at the red light, blaring their horns at me as I make the left on red from a two way onto a one way. You may make this turn whether the sign is there or not, but not in AZ according to the statute.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Making a left on a red when you're on a two way, going onto a one-way is allowed in many states, and is safe.
I've never lived in a state (or taken a driver's test in a state) where that is allowed. Then why have a red light at all? Why not just a green yield? It sounds like that is what you are doing anyways, yielding to the oncoming traffic before making a left.

Quote:
A good example in many areas is when you're on a two way street about to turn left onto a freeway service drive. You may make that left on the red when traffic is clear as long as it's not posted to the contrary.
That is a good example. I think the reason why it is not legal in every state and is one of those things that changes from state to state is because some might think it is not safe for the driver to have to watch for traffic coming from more than one direction (on-coming and from the right). I know many good and capable drivers who could do this without a problem, but I can think of just as many where this could pose a problem especially if it's in an area with heavy traffic. And if it's an area where traffic is generally very light, then why have lights at all when stop signs would suffice.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:40 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,271 times
Quote:
I've never lived in a state (or taken a driver's test in a state) where that is allowed. Then why have a red light at all? Why not just a green yield? It sounds like that is what you are doing anyways, yielding to the oncoming traffic before making a left.
Where this is allowed, the light facing you is red. So the light facing the guy coming at you head on is red also. So you don't have to worry about watching him. The only way you have to look is to the right, since you're going to be turning left onto a one way street. The only traffic you have to yield to is the traffic coming from your right, that has the green light. There are intersections with different phases for the traffic coming head on at you. It's possible that you may have a red light while traffic comeing at you has a green light. In those situations, there will be a red "don't turn now" arrow and possibly other signage to indicate that you can't turn left on that red onto the one-way from the two-way you're currently on. Then when the light for traffic coming head on at you is red, a green arrow will go on for your left turn.

Quote:
And if it's an area where traffic is generally very light, then why have lights at all when stop signs would suffice.
Haaa haaa!!! Blasphemy!!! Why indeed? Also, why have stop signs when Yield signs would do? Stops signs are not now, nor have they ever been intended to slow traffic down. They're ONLY meant to establish right of way at an intersection. That's it. However, every block captain thinks they're an expert and will demand as many traffic signals and 4-way stops as the stop sign factory can pump out. Unwarranted stop signs are often more dangerous than none at all, and with 4-way stops, it's almost impossible to tell who was at fault when there IS a a crash.

Here are the warrants for stop signs from the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. These are SUPPOSED to be followed nation-wide. How many unwarranted signs are there in your neighborhood? These are the national standards. Many states have standards that specifically state that stop signs are not to be used for speed reduction. There are a lot of reasons for this. Many people will see a car doing 22 down their street posted at 25 and swear the car is "drag racing". Then they demand an unwarranted stop sign to slow traffic down. Not a good idea.

Quote:
Section 2B.05 STOP Sign Applications
Guidance:
STOP signs should be used if engineering judgment indicates that one or more of the following conditions exist:

Intersection of a less important road with a main road where application of the normal right-of-way rule would not be expected to provide reasonable compliance with the law;
Street entering a through highway or street;
Unsignalized intersection in a signalized area; and/or
High speeds, restricted view, or crash records indicate a need for control by the STOP sign.

Section 2B.07 Multiway Stop Applications
Support:
Multiway stop control can be useful as a safety measure at intersections if certain traffic conditions exist. Safety concerns associated with multiway stops include pedestrians, bicyclists, and all road users expecting other road users to stop. Multiway stop control is used where the volume of traffic on the intersecting roads is approximately equal.

The restrictions on the use of STOP signs described in Section 2B.05 also apply to multiway stop applications.

Guidance:
The decision to install multiway stop control should be based on an engineering study.

The following criteria should be considered in the engineering study for a multiway STOP sign installation:

Where traffic control signals are justified, the multiway stop is an interim measure that can be installed quickly to control traffic while arrangements are being made for the installation of the traffic control signal.
A crash problem, as indicated by 5 or more reported crashes in a 12-month period that are susceptible to correction by a multiway stop installation. Such crashes include right- and left-turn collisions as well as right-angle collisions.
Minimum volumes:
The vehicular volume entering the intersection from the major street approaches (total of both approaches) averages at least 300 vehicles per hour for any 8 hours of an average day, and
The combined vehicular, pedestrian, and bicycle volume entering the intersection from the minor street approaches (total of both approaches) averages at least 200 units per hour for the same 8 hours, with an average delay to minor-street vehicular traffic of at least 30 seconds per vehicle during the highest hour, but
If the 85th-percentile approach speed of the major-street traffic exceeds 65 km/h or exceeds 40 mph, the minimum vehicular volume warrants are 70 percent of the above values.
Where no single criterion is satisfied, but where Criteria B, C.1, and C.2 are all satisfied to 80 percent of the minimum values. Criterion C.3 is excluded from this condition.
Option:
Other criteria that may be considered in an engineering study include:

The need to control left-turn conflicts;
The need to control vehicle/pedestrian conflicts near locations that generate high pedestrian volumes;
Locations where a road user, after stopping, cannot see conflicting traffic and is not able to reasonably safely negotiate the intersection unless conflicting cross traffic is also required to stop; and
An intersection of two residential neighborhood collector (through) streets of similar design and operating characteristics where multiway stop control would improve traffic operational characteristics of the intersection.

Last edited by and the; 09-18-2007 at 07:52 PM..

Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,108 times
Red face Gee I am sorry I have no picture of a gun to post

Pretty nice of some to tell people coming into town how to drive, when and where to drive, what to think and how to behave, sounds like the town sheriff to me!!!

Old 09-18-2007, 10:10 PM

Default No guns here either

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
Pretty nice of some to tell people coming into town how to drive, when and where to drive, what to think and how to behave, sounds like the town sheriff to me!!!
You are so right! Everyone thinks they know the laws, but it's evident here that not all of us do. Even people who live here don't know all the AZ rules of when you can turn on red and when you can't. With all the people who moved here from different states and learned how to drive with different rules/laws and add in all the out of state visitors on top of that, no wonder there are so many accidents!

Old 09-18-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Where this is allowed, the light facing you is red. So the light facing the guy coming at you head on is red also.
That's the thing, how do you know it's red if you can't see the other light (and especially if you are visiting from out of town and unfamiliar with the traffic light patterns)? It could turn green at any second and in the middle of your red light left turn. If you get hit, then who's at fault? You who turned left on a red light or the other guy who went straight on a green light?

Quote:
Haaa haaa!!! Blasphemy!!! Why indeed? Also, why have stop signs when Yield signs would do? Stops signs are not now, nor have they ever been intended to slow traffic down. They're ONLY meant to establish right of way at an intersection. That's it. However, every block captain thinks they're an expert and will demand as many traffic signals and 4-way stops as the stop sign factory can pump out. Unwarranted stop signs are often more dangerous than none at all, and with 4-way stops, it's almost impossible to tell who was at fault when there IS a a crash.

Here are the warrants for stop signs from the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. These are SUPPOSED to be followed nation-wide. How many unwarranted signs are there in your neighborhood? These are the national standards. Many states have standards that specifically state that stop signs are not to be used for speed reduction. There are a lot of reasons for this. Many people will see a car doing 22 down their street posted at 25 and swear the car is "drag racing". Then they demand an unwarranted stop sign to slow traffic down. Not a good idea.
Ummm, I thought we were talking about when it's ok to turn left on red which I would think falls under establishing right of way. Where did all of this "slowing down traffic" come from?

Old 09-18-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
You may also turn left on a red from a two way to a one way going to the driver's left in many states unless prohibited by signs or signals, but AZ doesn't appear to be one of them.
I just looked this up on wikipedia:

"Making a left-turn on red from a two-way street is legal in only five states: Alaska, Idaho, Michigan, Oregon, and Washington."

Five states out of fifty doesn't sound like "many" to me. I would describe that as only a few at best.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
I think you have successfully scared at least 1/2 of the snowbirds away! Congrats. What's next, pictures of the "other" possessions your proud of. lol I expect next time you guy's will be walking naked, with only a gun on, into circle k to scare off some snowbirds.lol You all crack me up!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:11 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I think you have successfully scared at least 1/2 of the snowbirds away! Congrats. What's next, pictures of the "other" possessions your proud of. lol I expect next time you guy's will be walking naked, with only a gun on, into circle k to scare off some snowbirds.lol You all crack me up!
I think they pay some guys to do that for special occasions, like bachalorette or birthday parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona