Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:22 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
There's a "haunted" hotel and a former brothel that's now a boutique. I recommend a visit!
I LOVE Jerome and go often. I don't know that it has a vinyard though, not much space to grow grapes on the side of a steep mountain.

I went on a tour with the former head of the historical society and he swears that House of Joy was not a former brothel, he says they were all in a slightly different area and showed us where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 10:17 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times
Jerome's bars will be getting more bikers with The Birdcage in Prescott being burnt. Half the people at The Birdcage were talking about biking it to Jerome a couple sunday's back. I was there two days before the fire. That whole 89A stretch is one of the best parts of the state.

Williams is a smaller version of Flagstaff from a scenic standpoint. Ponderosa and can view the SF Peaks from there. However, far more reasonable housing. Winters at 7000 ft are the dealbreaker for me though. Winters on The Rim aren't any better than NY. No thanks to 90 inches/year on average in Williams or Flag !

Holbrook. I'll say it again. Dust and sand blew in my mouth just pumping gas for a couple minutes there on my way out here permanently in January. Somehow, I found the Navajo area neat when I was younger. However, it's just terrible compared to the rest of the state. Sagebrush (no protection from wind) and flat. Temperature extremes due to lack of vegetation. Pretty embarrassing when you see signs on I 40 selling land for $395 per acre. There is a reason it's that cheap. I considered investing in raw land there not too long ago until my most recent trip by there in January. No Thanks ! It's worthless .

Old 05-18-2012, 10:54 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times
Here's a novel idea for Winslow,AZ. You have a 40 year old song and all you've done is put up a stupid sign ! WINSLOW CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. Contact Don Henley, Jackson Browne and Glenn Frey and see if they are willing to contribute rare memorabilia and open up a small museum dedicated to their work. You realize how much tourism that will bring in ?

Old 05-19-2012, 08:56 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
Williams is Nice

Kingman is all right

but

Holbrook , Arizona is terrible.

Holbrook is a run down city. The only nice area in Holbrook is Snob Hill.

How in the world could anyone consider Holbrook, Arizona underrated.

That is like saying that Winslow, Arizona is underrated.

The Winslow - Holbrook area is the most downtrodden and run down area in all of Arizona.

Even Douglas, Arizona is much nicer than the Winslow-Holbrook area and Douglas, Arizona is Ghetto.
Well, for me, living in an area with a low population density is really important. If a town has a grocery store that is really the only requirement I have. I will have to look into those $395 an acre property prices. LOL I just might want to winter out there after I retire.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-19-2012, 09:12 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, for me, living in an area with a low population density is really important. If a town has a grocery store that is really the only requirement I have. I will have to look into those $395 an acre property prices. LOL I just might want to winter out there after I retire.

20yrsinBranson
Holbrook gets cold.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:09 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Overrated? Sedona by far.

Unerrated? Well I have always liked Williams, Holbrook and Kingman. Williams had the most charming little bar the last time I was there, and of course the train to the Grand Canyon. Holbrook and Kingman are both kind of "in the middle of nowhere", and I like that.

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
Williams is Nice

Kingman is all right

but

That is like saying that Winslow, Arizona is underrated.

The Winslow - Holbrook area is the most downtrodden and run down area in all of Arizona.

Even Douglas, Arizona is much nicer than the Winslow-Holbrook area and Douglas, Arizona is Ghetto.
Kingman HAS gotten better IMHO; a LOT better since 2012. If talking Bullhead City, that place has gone downhill bad IMHO.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:17 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'd add Benson to the list of under rated towns. It's pretty clean, cheap and has good shopping plus it's near Tucson.

So true. What more do you need for shopping than a Super-WalMart, a Safeway and a True Value Hardware store??

Benson is the only town with a country and western song written about it that discusses the Theory of Relativity in the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j-MzxDad2c

That has to be worth something.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
For living I think Sedona is overrated. Why pay so much in property when you can get significantly less in Prescott or Flagstaff and drive 30 minutes in for your hiking desires?

For living I think Tucson is underrated. Sure it's a dump in a few places but it's dirt cheap and has beautiful scenery, outdoor amenities, and almost the same caliber of shopping as Phoenix.

For visiting I would say a NE Arizona like Greer is underrated. It's a beautiful area and it's so uncrowded especially compared to Prescott and Flagstaff that get swamped on a lot of occasions. Payson also appears to be less crowded as well.

For visiting I think Page is overrated. That place has nothing and would be nothing if it wasn't for Lake Powell. Lake Powell is awesome but Page isn't.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:25 PM

656 posts, read 813,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
So true. What more do you need for shopping than a Super-WalMart, a Safeway and a True Value Hardware store??

Benson is the only town with a country and western song written about it that discusses the Theory of Relativity in the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j-MzxDad2c

That has to be worth something.

I loved that movie.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:53 PM

924 posts, read 752,195 times
Quote:
Williams is Nice

Kingman is all right

but

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with this. Had family friends who lived in Holbrook, visited them often when we lived in northern Arizona, and the last time my family drove through that area, it was so much more run-down than I'd remembered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona