Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,010,497 times

Advertisements

I wonder how much time people who love the heat spend outdoors daily. There are so many people who say that the heat isn't that bad, yet they go from their air conditioned home, into their air conditioned car, to their air conditioned office, back to their air conditioned car, back into their air conditioned home. Notice how many people here say they love the heat compared to how many people are actually walking on the street at 2 PM on a random July day. It's one thing when you're outside for a total of maybe 10 minutes daily and when you're outside for a prolonged period of time exerting yourself. There are a lot of people who would mind the heat A LOT more if someone told them that they had to walk a mile a day in it daily, especially the loads of out of shape people the Valley seems to have. Running into to Quik Trip or Circle K to get a 64 ounce cup of Coke and two chicken taquitos is not the same as actually exerting yourself outdoors.

I am the type where some days I mind the heat and some days I don't. There is no threshold temperature where hot goes from comfortable to uncomfortable. Some days I can stand 110 degree days and other days I am uncomfortable when it's 100 outside. Phoenix is dangerously hot most every day during the summer, with the exception of the days when the monsoon is very active and it only stays in the 80s or low 90s. Anyone who says that they are truly comfortable the entire summer in Phoenix is either delusional, spends less than 10 minutes a day outside most days, or is half reptile.

Also, for those who think the Phoenix's heat is always dry, we had dewpoints in the low 70s for a good part of last weekend with temperature in the 80s and 90s. That is exactly what you would find in much of the South this time of year. People need to get real about summers here.

Last edited by miamiman; 07-17-2012 at 09:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 09:32 PM

484 posts, read 970,267 times
Well, some of us get up at 5 am to enjoy at least 4 hours of temps pretty close to perfect IMO.

But I dont live in the heat island of Phoenix so it cools off here more at night.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:50 AM

11 posts, read 44,106 times
I am from Colorado...I hated the winters there. I moved to San Diego and absolutely LOVED it there! I moved from San Diego to the California high desert where I spend my days outside under the desert sun climbing rocky hills training Soldiers in the desert. I visited Arizona last week because I am moving there in a couple of weeks to check it out and it was surprisingly cooler than where I live in California. So yes, I can continue to say that I "love the heat" without having lived in Arizona. I am used to temperatures over 110 degrees between where I live now and living overseas. I am actually looking forward to the weather in southern Arizona.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:30 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin03 View Post
I am from Colorado...I hated the winters there. I moved to San Diego and absolutely LOVED it there! I moved from San Diego to the California high desert where I spend my days outside under the desert sun climbing rocky hills training Soldiers in the desert. I visited Arizona last week because I am moving there in a couple of weeks to check it out and it was surprisingly cooler than where I live in California. So yes, I can continue to say that I "love the heat" without having lived in Arizona. I am used to temperatures over 110 degrees between where I live now and living overseas. I am actually looking forward to the weather in southern Arizona.
Most newcomers or potential newcomers say how they love the sunshine & don't mind the heat. However, that usually wears off in a few years. I'm an Arizona native, and I can honestly claim that I used to like the summers and didn't mind the heat when I was much younger. But I've lived here for nearly 49 years ... and now that I'm older, I can now say with all sincerity that I HATE the heat. One reason is it's so monotonous: day after day after day of 100s or 110s with very few breaks from June to October. In fact, I reserve much of my vacation time for July & August just so I can escape the heat & go to San Diego, or the Arizona high country where it can be 30 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

So all I can say is that if you decide to move here, there will be a time when you become fed up with the heat (and you will eventually). Trust me, it happens to most of us long term residents & natives! You will find there are a fair share of posters on this forum who are here specifically for the sunny, hot, dry weather ... but they are most often the recent transplants. Newcomers haven't had enough time to absorb how monotonous and ridiculous the summer heat can be, or the long term effects on their health from it.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:11 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I wonder how much time people who love the heat spend outdoors daily. There are so many people who say that the heat isn't that bad, yet they go from their air conditioned home, into their air conditioned car, to their air conditioned office, back to their air conditioned car, back into their air conditioned home. Notice how many people here say they love the heat compared to how many people are actually walking on the street at 2 PM on a random July day. It's one thing when you're outside for a total of maybe 10 minutes daily and when you're outside for a prolonged period of time exerting yourself. There are a lot of people who would mind the heat A LOT more if someone told them that they had to walk a mile a day in it daily, especially the loads of out of shape people the Valley seems to have. Running into to Quik Trip or Circle K to get a 64 ounce cup of Coke and two chicken taquitos is not the same as actually exerting yourself outdoors.

I am the type where some days I mind the heat and some days I don't. There is no threshold temperature where hot goes from comfortable to uncomfortable. Some days I can stand 110 degree days and other days I am uncomfortable when it's 100 outside. Phoenix is dangerously hot most every day during the summer, with the exception of the days when the monsoon is very active and it only stays in the 80s or low 90s. Anyone who says that they are truly comfortable the entire summer in Phoenix is either delusional, spends less than 10 minutes a day outside most days, or is half reptile.

Also, for those who think the Phoenix's heat is always dry, we had dewpoints in the low 70s for a good part of last weekend with temperature in the 80s and 90s. That is exactly what you would find in much of the South this time of year. People need to get real about summers here
This is correct. As the population grows, along with urban sprawl, and fossil fuel consumption is getting more humid. I've noticed this in CA, Las Vegas, and in El Paso.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 AM

205 posts, read 572,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin03 View Post
At our place in Southern AZ (Saint David). Its quite a bit cooler. Right now, high 80s low 90s on average daily. Last week there were a few times that it made it up over 100, but that really doesnt happen all that often. Definitely a good 10+ degree difference from Phoenix area.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM

223 posts, read 434,718 times
I'm with Valley Native. I've been here 19 years and the heat is insanely monotonous. So much so that when the rare rainstorm comes along I'm out there standing under it, just for a change of pace.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:36 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,010,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
Well, some of us get up at 5 am to enjoy at least 4 hours of temps pretty close to perfect IMO.

But I dont live in the heat island of Phoenix so it cools off here more at night.

The fact that you have to wake up early to enjoy the day speaks volumes. If the climate here was so tolerable you wouldn't have to set an alarm clock to go outside.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:45 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
9162 wrote: Don't You Just Love Those People Who Have Never Been to AZ say they "Love the Heat"

Can't honestly claim that I love em. Best I'm able to muster is an attitude of tolerance, simply because that type of behaviour is just human nature.

the_windwalker wrote: Next time someone asks how long it's going to stay hot, tell them.....

"If you think this is hot... Wait'll you die...." (:-0

Someone freezing to death on Mt Everest might welcome the heat!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 07-18-2012 at 03:54 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 04:02 PM

484 posts, read 970,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
The fact that you have to wake up early to enjoy the day speaks volumes. If the climate here was so tolerable you wouldn't have to set an alarm clock to go outside.
I've lived in other areas with near ideal climates where there are other problems like sharing that climate with tens of millions of other people.

I guess that you think waking up at 5 am is not desirable. I disagree. I wake up without an alarm most days and enjoy the sunrise. So for about 4 months of the year, I have 4 hours in the morning of near ideal temperature and several hours in the evening that are acceptable. The rest of the year is almost perfect. How many places are like that?

OT: I definitely find that this climate is much more suited to being skinny. I couldn't imagine carrying around extra weight in the heat and with the obesity in this nation it doesn't surprise me that many cant stand the heat. Head north, winter lovers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona