Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,932 times

Advertisements

New to this and the area. Is there anything anybody can tell me about the Outback Rd area I should know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,785 times
My husband and I are looking into buying property in JWood but we have a few questions.
If we bought a couple of those Weatherking sheds and fixed them up as tiny houses would it be legal to live in them there?
I read somewhere that you don't have to have a permit for a shed, but you do if your going to put plumbing and electric to it.
Do you or anyone you know live in a weatherking legally in Ash Fork?
Thanks!

Old 06-11-2015, 09:50 PM

14 posts, read 23,105 times
I notice that the topic of codes and permits brought up from time to time in different threads, this one included. I know most folks understand the difference and I don't think anyone would want to build a structure that doesn't follow building codes which could be described as minimum standards for safe construction, habitation and use. Permits are what the local authority issues to insure they can "inspect" your building so that it follows these codes or rules of construction and then tax you for those improvements to your property. Codes= good. Permits= you be the judge.

I also read in this thread, completely taken out of context, "you should look for a county that doesn't have building codes". I'm not writing this to be snarky, do those counties exist? That's a serious question, I haven't found one but it's not like I was looking. All the counties I've looked at have codes and some permits it just kind of depends on type of permits and how diligent the building department is with inspections.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 06-13-2015, 01:52 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnysLilWife View Post
If we bought a couple of those Weatherking sheds and fixed them up as tiny houses would it be legal to live in them there?
Thanks!
No! Try this and the county will fine you.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,649 times
Default HELP, residents of Juniper Wood Rch

Hi,
Looking into 40a parcel in Juniper Wood. Read all the warnings, pros and cons. Not interested in non-resident opinions please. Off grid property is what it is, and anyone trying to make it something its not is wasting time. Sorry for the little rant but after reading so many posts is amazing to read all the off topic complaints.

So, my question if anyone is so inclined to answer?

About the flood plain, what is the most desirable area of JWR? Are there good lots in Unit 1? If Unit 1 is ok as far as flood plain, what sections are the most accessible, desirable, ie: best roads, topography, foliage etc.? I think I read Rattle Snake Rd. was not too good? If Unit 1 is out, how about Unit 2? I'm trying to stay as far south as possible and have decent access. Are any of the parcels accessible with a travel trailer?

Thank you in advance for any help!!! I don't think I can trust real estate agents for this information, would really like to hear from long term land owners.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,477 times
We just purchased 40 acres on Juniperwoods, and we love it up here. We did find that a reliable and resonable solar source was difficult to locate. Do-It-Yourself Solar is a great start-up company up here. They explain how your system works and their prices beat everything up here. Blaine Benson is the guy to ask - blaineb@cox.net

Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 PM

14 posts, read 23,105 times
Who does the road maintenance? Does the Hoa exist here if so does it have a website? Any info on water delivery as in who does it reasonably and how reliable they are would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 08-14-2015, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,746 times
Default well

anybody know who is digging a well on Bullock in Juniper estates? We were told that water level is too far down to be cost effective. I am also trying to get some info on the association there. Thanks

Old 12-17-2015, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Thank you. Ash Fork gets a bad rap, and understandbly so. Between some shady characters out that way and the water haul situation it will probably continue to have a bad rap for the foreseeable future. However for someone who wants to build an off grid, eco friendly, sustainable house, Juniperwood Ranch is a great find. I researched building alternative style housing for some time and most places that allow you to build whatever you want with no building codes are in west texas or northern nevada with no populations centers of any worthy value for hours and hours in any direction. With Ash Fork you are 45-60 (depending on how fast you drive down 89) minutes from Prescott and 45-60 mins from Flagstaff, arguably. Arizona's two nicest cities. The small town of Williams is just right up I-40 as well. You get 4 seasons not as cold as flagstaff not as hot as phoenix. You get a small taste of actual freedom being able to do what you want on your land. You get amazing views of the stars amd the milky way at night. You got easy power between solar and wind out there. Views of the San Francisco Peaks and high desert beauty. Yeah the town of Ash Fork itself is a third world country but for an isolationist who onky needs to go to town for the essentials Juniperwood Ranch is great. There is plenty of flagstone out there to make a flagstone floor as well for very cheap. If only yavapai county would allow composting toliets and if the water table was 1500 feet higher I would start an off grid hippie commune out there. Also for anyone looking to build without government bureacrats telling you how many outlets you need in each room and other ridiculous red tape hoops to jump through google "Earthships Pockets of Freedom." It gives you a color coded map of all the counties in the United States that allow alternative off grid housing. I would post a link but I don't know how. I am afraid that someday there will be no places left that allow you to do what you want with your land so do it while you can.
You seem to know the area well as I've read a lot of your posts in these Juniper Woods threads. Where do you recommend purchasing a large parcel that is accessible but not filled with nuts that are actually hoping for the zombie apocalypse to happen? We are looking for a community of folks that want a safe and sustainable way to live in the event of another depression era. We are looking at both Sierra Verde and Juniper Wood...or at least in that vicinity.

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2015, 06:20 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,298 times
^ I wrote that quite a while ago . I ended up buying in Sierra Verde ranch. After spending a lot of time looking at land I think Sierra Verde is far superior to Juniperwood. I bought right off Williamson valley road and was able to get good water at ~200 feet down. And the roads in SVR are 1000 times better than the ones in Juniperwood. SVR is also closer to my favorite parts of the prescott national forest.

The area is beautiful and has a great climate, however I ended up moving from yavapai county. They have become more and more restrictive on building codes and needing a permit for every little thing. There is a $3400 impact fee and any sort of alternative building needs to be drawn up/stamped by a structural engineer. Then the lady that approves the plans in yavapai county is a typical bureaucrat and draws all over your plans to make her "corrections" even though you paid an actual structural engineer a great sum of money to work out all the logistics. It was almost like she had something against owner builders (especially if you're trying something alternative). Maybe she is gone now though .

My land did perc easily and septic was a breeze. For a remote area though, they do all the same inspections and have the same rules as you would have in downtown phoenix. Think permits for every little thing, including fences, which kind of put a damper on living way out there, but maybe this won't bother you. Just make sure you do your research. They take aerial photos evey couple years to make sure you are in compliance with all the rules.

You're going to want 4x4 and mud tires for the rainy season, and even then things can get interesting.

To get started building in Yavapai, you'll need at least:
-$3400 impact fee
-$3000-$6000+ for septic
-$500+ for a full set of approved plans (unless you do it yourself)

I added the last part because sometimes people get excited about the really cheap land, but there are plenty of hidden expenses if you want to stay above board. Plenty of people seem to ignore the codes out there, but I don't know what consequences they may or may not face. I do know the county made one of my neighbors tear down an unpermitted "deck" off his house. It was about a foot off the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona