Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 05:08 PM

43 posts, read 58,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
No disputing the climate, ecology and geography of Tucson wins hands down.Just stepping onto the rocks at Windy Point enroute to Summerhaven just blows away any view from the 3000 ft dirt piles known as South Mt and Camelback.Tucson has the Catalina's, Santa Rita's and the Rincon's at 3 times the elevation of the aforementioned dirt piles.One very important drawback that keeps me in Phoenix, employment opportunities.
I vacation in Phoenix frequently and have to work in Tucson quite often and I couldn't disagree more. I think you are conflating to assets of Phoenix. The great thing about Phoenix is that in addition to the mountains surrounding (Bradshaws, Mazatzals, Superstitions)it has unparalleled urban mountains and preserves. Tucson has nothing to compare. I find the Bradshaws, Mazatzals and Superstitions far more spectacular than the isolated mountains near Metro Tucson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 09:45 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times
Utah Native, we will have to agree to disagree.I enjoy the Bradshaws and Mazatzals but they aren't immediately accessible from Phoenix the way the 3 aforementioned mountain ranges in Tucson are.I just know as far as vertical relief goes, they rise almost 7000 ft above Tucson and its 2500 ft elevation.The vertical relief is more than the SF Peaks that rise 5500 ft above Flag.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Is there a particular reason why the Phoenix freeway system was so lacking until that freeway building spree (not sure of the year that it started with building of the 51, 101 and all the rest) led to what you have today?

I'm also rather perplexed that Tucson never bothered to build an east-west freeway although I have no idea whre such a freeway would have been built, but I'd hazard a guess that NIMBYism had something to do with it.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:22 PM

612 posts, read 1,021,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Utah Native, we will have to agree to disagree.I enjoy the Bradshaws and Mazatzals but they aren't immediately accessible from Phoenix the way the 3 aforementioned mountain ranges in Tucson are.I just know as far as vertical relief goes, they rise almost 7000 ft above Tucson and its 2500 ft elevation.The vertical relief is more than the SF Peaks that rise 5500 ft above Flag.
It just depends on what you're into - both of these arguments are "correct." I look at it this way - I prefer Tucson for what's right there - used to be that from my front door, up Sabino Canyon, past the CCC road and onto the trails and into the pine forest on FOOT was not that big a deal (well, it was tiring, and I was less fat, but you get my drift). Examples of that sort abound in Tucson, depending on what you're after and what part of town you're in. Those sort of "right outside your front door" experiences are clearly less common in Phoenix.

However, if you are willing to drive a little, Phoenix has a lot more to offer than Tucson. You just can't get around the lakes, rivers, various mountain ranges, the friggin' Mogollon Rim, the Verde River Valley, the Superstitions, etc.. Much of what Tucson outdoors-folks do with their weekends is actually easier accessed from Phoenix (with some obvious exceptions).

But I don't wanna drive. I want to be able to climb on my bike, ride out to Reddington Pass, around the backside of the Catalinas and up and over Mt. Lemmon and ride right back to my front door. So I prefer Tucson!

Old 09-03-2014, 12:08 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Is there a particular reason why the Phoenix freeway system was so lacking until that freeway building spree (not sure of the year that it started with building of the 51, 101 and all the rest) led to what you have today?
The passage of the half cent transportation tax to build freeways took place in 1985, and the construction began about a year afterward. A lot of the resistance before this was the same reason Tucson has resisted additional freeways: NIMBYism. I despise NIMBYs because they're always protesting practically everything: freeways, highrises, stadiums, airports, theme parks, you name it! Unfortunately for Phoenix, freeway NIMBYism was dominant for a long time in the 1960s & '70s, and it really set us back. The city & metro area kept growing rapidly ... but because there was a lack of freeways, the traffic problem became horrible.

Tucson is facing the same dilemma right now with bad traffic and few freeways, but the stupid NIMBYs seem to like it that way for whatever reason. The only thing Tucson has going in its favor is it has a rather slow growth rate & is less sprawling compared to Phoenix ... so their lack of freeways isn't as much of a setback for them now like it was for Phoenix before the mid 1980s.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:42 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
I happened to be in Phoenix when nonstop radio ads implored the city's resident to vote to pass those bond issues to get the freeways built, but I'm not sure what the year was until I read your post.

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:30 AM

635 posts, read 784,333 times
After reading a lot about Tuscon i decided i would never live there. Crime and being close to Mexico. Top the list and go hand in hand. Phoenix is large and you need to break the area up and compare what the parts of town have to offer you.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:42 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaAZ View Post
It just depends on what you're into - both of these arguments are "correct." I look at it this way - I prefer Tucson for what's right there - used to be that from my front door, up Sabino Canyon, past the CCC road and onto the trails and into the pine forest on FOOT was not that big a deal (well, it was tiring, and I was less fat, but you get my drift). Examples of that sort abound in Tucson, depending on what you're after and what part of town you're in. Those sort of "right outside your front door" experiences are clearly less common in Phoenix.

However, if you are willing to drive a little, Phoenix has a lot more to offer than Tucson. You just can't get around the lakes, rivers, various mountain ranges, the friggin' Mogollon Rim, the Verde River Valley, the Superstitions, etc.. Much of what Tucson outdoors-folks do with their weekends is actually easier accessed from Phoenix (with some obvious exceptions).

But I don't wanna drive. I want to be able to climb on my bike, ride out to Reddington Pass, around the backside of the Catalinas and up and over Mt. Lemmon and ride right back to my front door. So I prefer Tucson!
Love the easy outdoors access in Tucson but have to slightly disagree with you about PHX. There's several mountains and hills within city limits that are good hikes as well as ranges bordering the edge of town. Dreamy Draw Park is in the heart of town but hike in a little ways and you can't hear traffic and can avoid the crowd.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:39 AM

10 posts, read 14,181 times
Phoenix

Old 09-21-2014, 07:17 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,017 times
Wulp feenex is the capitol of 'zona now, after Preskit and Toosawn. Thar was 'nuther settlement afore, but no matter. Makes a heep o sense since it be more central.

Superior however is a might to the east and never really rated, 'septing for some of the outdoorsy stuff about it.

LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona