Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 04:35 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,865,812 times

Advertisements

Arizona needs some kind of big thing. A real boom that the populace could benefit from. Over ten years ago one would assume places like Flagstaff or Sedona could benefit by some huge tech boom... but nothing has caught on. And entertainment venue that would have independent film festivals and live shows so we don't have to drive to Vegas or Phoenix.

Not sure how the future holds, because I'm getting tired of hearing all this "land of opportunity" talk regarding California and NYC. I keep hearing talk about Arizona's potential for growth, but no one is doing anything to make it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 05:37 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Surfer View Post
Arizona needs some kind of big thing. A real boom that the populace could benefit from. Over ten years ago one would assume places like Flagstaff or Sedona could benefit by some huge tech boom... but nothing has caught on. And entertainment venue that would have independent film festivals and live shows so we don't have to drive to Vegas or Phoenix.

Not sure how the future holds, because I'm getting tired of hearing all this "land of opportunity" talk regarding California and NYC. I keep hearing talk about Arizona's potential for growth, but no one is doing anything to make it happen.
Arizona has a stringent and complicated water code precluding growth in a lot of the state for surface water, groundwater is often deep, expensive and unsustainable. Phoenix is large because it has the water to sustain itself making it the best chance at an economy. The majority of the state sustains on Eco tourism as a result. Nothing wrong with it, but these are the cards as they are dealt.

Arizonas problems are IMO political and cultural. Many high end employers skip us for Denver or Los Angeles. Better employees, more educated populace. The education is issue is getting worse instead of better, the economy has been decent lately however.

Water is oil here, I know a few lottery winners from the grandfathered water rights in the GMA, some of them allowed sale on groundwater markets. Huge profits.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:42 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,856,746 times
I live in West TX and I wanted to move to Prescott but wife won't go, her friends are here and that seems to be the reason. Mainly, the weather in Prescott is milder than PHX and it is smaller but yet has everything we would need. Also, I like Central TX but the humidity would be much more oppressive. I think the philosophies of TX and AZ are similar. Very individualistic. Did under grad in Los Angeles . Although I am grateful for the 4 years there, I don't want to go back. The weather in CAL is about the only thing I like about the state, sorry to say.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:39 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,865,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Arizona has a stringent and complicated water code precluding growth in a lot of the state for surface water, groundwater is often deep, expensive and unsustainable. Phoenix is large because it has the water to sustain itself making it the best chance at an economy. The majority of the state sustains on Eco tourism as a result. Nothing wrong with it, but these are the cards as they are dealt.

Arizonas problems are IMO political and cultural. Many high end employers skip us for Denver or Los Angeles. Better employees, more educated populace. The education is issue is getting worse instead of better, the economy has been decent lately however.

Water is oil here, I know a few lottery winners from the grandfathered water rights in the GMA, some of them allowed sale on groundwater markets. Huge profits.
Why am I not surprised. Always knew are education was lacking, but by so much employers say "no thanks"? No wonder people make jokes about ASU.

Guess I should grin and bear it, rent a Uhaul and just move to Denver or LA and just fake it until I make it. Wages here are just too low for the kind of work I do, benefits are awful... they're more like deductions of your paycheck. My current job has me run two nursing homes ordering medical supplies, office supplies, keeping them sustained, on top of hours of data entry. After a job search I've found my line of work gets paid almost double elsewhere... and some places cost of living isn't as high as I first assumed.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:12 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,236 times
Population growth into borh LA and the state had slowed dramatically while Denver rolls on as a strong RE anf job market simultaneously; the percentage of children under 14 years of has been sinking for over 40 years, unlike many major cities including Denver and Phoenix..

Old 05-01-2016, 10:20 AM

119 posts, read 232,549 times
at end of May i will have lived in Houston a year have not seen one single incident where anybody was carrying a gun . at least not openly . having live in Arizona for 23 years i find the weather just right . i find the rains that come down in buckets refreshing , the gentle rains very refreshing . the past year parts of Houston did get hit hard by getting flooded and i feel for those people . up in North part of Houston we have not been bothered with any flooding . while i do in a way miss Arizona i would not move back there . only thing i can say i hated about Arizona were the dust storms . dust is one thing you never get away from in Arizona .

Old 05-04-2016, 08:51 AM

9 posts, read 10,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I live in West TX and I wanted to move to Prescott but wife won't go, her friends are here and that seems to be the reason. Mainly, the weather in Prescott is milder than PHX and it is smaller but yet has everything we would need. Also, I like Central TX but the humidity would be much more oppressive. I think the philosophies of TX and AZ are similar. Very individualistic. Did under grad in Los Angeles . Although I am grateful for the 4 years there, I don't want to go back. The weather in CAL is about the only thing I like about the state, sorry to say.

Yes we went to a festival this past fall in Prescott and loved that town!! Its very quaint and all the people were very friendly there.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:52 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,093 times
The traffic and pollution is horrible in Dallas and Houston. Can't say as I blame a Texan for moving out.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:40 PM

788 posts, read 512,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I am with your on California weather and oppressive humidity. One is great, the other, well, not so great.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:32 PM

430 posts, read 290,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
The traffic and pollution is horrible in Dallas and Houston. Can't say as I blame a Texan for moving out.
I love it here in TX, sure there a crapload of people moving here but I won't complain (Coming from FL, and the NY/NJ area)

This is the result of having Job oppurtunities, and lower cost of living than the NE and West Coast States that have lost their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona