Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 05:55 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,165,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
We were all given a death-sentence on our birthdays.. worrying excessively about it just moves that day forward.
-
+1. I'm a pre-cancer survivor. My Doc says if I live long enough, all men will eventually get prostate cancer. I'm contemplating a sex change to stop the inevitable.

But until then, I worry about those hostile Africanized killer bees that will take me out before Ebola. I shouldn't have googled "Ebola"!!! Since MN is home to thousands of African immigrants See EBOLA OUTBREAK: Minnesota family loses 9 relatives - KMSP-TV You are concerned about Valley Fever. That's nothing! Worry warts in the Twin Cities now have been busy googling about this Brooklyn Park readies safeguards against Ebola | Star Tribune . Do realize that thousands of Africans fly and visit the Twin Cities each year. So forgive me for wearing a mask while I type this post.

A good rule of thumb is to take the square root of whatever articles that you read. People who write for a living really need for you to read their articles even if it means scaring you. They simply juice up the story. Crap. I just googled juice.... Dr. Oz says 10% of Apple Juice contains arsenic. Arsenic in Apple Juice | The Dr. Oz Show .

Zippy said it best. We were all born terminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:16 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,976 times
Quote:
A good rule of thumb is to take the square root of whatever articles that you read. People who write for a living really need for you to read their articles even if it means scaring you. They simply juice up the story. Crap. I just googled juice.... Dr. Oz says 10% of Apple Juice contains arsenic. Arsenic in Apple Juice | The Dr. Oz Show .
It's the seeds. I read about it in a Trixie Belden mystery book when I was 11. Apple seeds are actually poisonous! Good to know. But don't worry.

Quote:
With all due respect to the OP, reading your post suggests there is a deeper issue present. Excessively worrying about something you have little control over is not normal. I have a feeling you worry about a lot of issues. I'm not trying to humiliate you, but you may not recognize it. I think nearly any physician reading your post probably came away with the same impression. I would strongly encourage you to speak with your physician about your concerns and anxiety.
This is so silly. The OP came to City-Data to ask whether this is really a big deal or not, and whether people worry about it because from what she's read it seems worrisome (because that's what media sources do!!). These are the kinds of questions people come to C-D to ask, because they have no experience in a certain area and want local, experienced perspective. You know, like roaches or scorpions. Just because someone has no experience with something and wants to know more about it doesn't mean they have an anxiety issue and should consult their doctor. It's what City-Data is for.

Fungal infections are real and from what I have seen, for those who have to have treatment, not really fun to deal with. But for most people not deadly. From my understanding, we are talking about the same general population who would be at risk of death from the flu, being at greatest risk of serious consequences from Valley Fever. And the flu is everywhere, can't avoid that either.

I think it's a good thing to be aware of, so that one doesn't ignore symptoms that might indicate more than the usual illness. Like it's good to be aware of any other rare but serious condition, say, meningitis symptoms if you're a parent; doesn't mean every headache merits a trip to the doctor!

Old 08-11-2014, 10:15 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
It's the seeds. I read about it in a Trixie Belden mystery book when I was 11. Apple seeds are actually poisonous! Good to know. But don't worry.

This is so silly. The OP came to City-Data to ask whether this is really a big deal or not, and whether people worry about it because from what she's read it seems worrisome (because that's what media sources do!!). These are the kinds of questions people come to C-D to ask, because they have no experience in a certain area and want local, experienced perspective. You know, like roaches or scorpions. Just because someone has no experience with something and wants to know more about it doesn't mean they have an anxiety issue and should consult their doctor. It's what City-Data is for.

Fungal infections are real and from what I have seen, for those who have to have treatment, not really fun to deal with. But for most people not deadly. From my understanding, we are talking about the same general population who would be at risk of death from the flu, being at greatest risk of serious consequences from Valley Fever. And the flu is everywhere, can't avoid that either.

I think it's a good thing to be aware of, so that one doesn't ignore symptoms that might indicate more than the usual illness. Like it's good to be aware of any other rare but serious condition, say, meningitis symptoms if you're a parent; doesn't mean every headache merits a trip to the doctor!
There are fungal diseases in all parts of the US. Histoplasmosis is endemic in Ohio and other states bordering the Mississippi River. It affects the same demographic, the old, the immume-compromised, as does valley fever. Does anyone there give it much thought? Would you hesitate to live in Ohio because of it? Would you go on those states forums and ask "How do people in your state deal with histoplasmosis?" I understand what you are saying and agree that a person does not need psychological counseling simply for asking about valley fever. But seriously, the irrational concern of prospective residents about scorpions and valley fever grates on my nerves. They act like the areas they come from have no biological hazards. I don't blame azriverfan for telling them to get their heads examined. I feel the same way.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:30 PM

Those in the real estate business who deal regularly with foreclosures have to be on the alert for mold spores; repeated exposure will get you on a 9-month treatment regimen. Fun. That's anywhere in the country. Anyone's home with an unknown leak somewhere behind a wall could be a health hazard. So fungal disease on a very mundane level is always a possibility.

My point is that if you don't ask locals, you have no way of knowing whether the risk as presented by the media (or some uninformed individual) is a big deal or not. I just think it's silly to make someone feel stupid for asking questions--how else would you know? And yes, if I were moving to Ohio and saw a news article on Histoplasmosis I probably would ask on C-D if anyone was worried about it...When I don't know about something, I ask. That's how people learn.

With all the media coverage of the "Haboobs" lately, people (here in MT) have been asking me if I'm not worried about those.

I tell them "No, my main concern is roaches. They're everywhere. Did you know they crawl out your pipes?!"

Old 08-11-2014, 02:16 PM

11 posts, read 17,798 times
Thanks everybody for the responses. It sounds like it's not a big deal, which I'm glad to hear.

I'm not trying to criticize Arizona in any way. Heck, I'm from the area with one of the highest rates of Lyme disease in the nation. If someone were to ask me about Lyme disease, I would tell them to get into the habit of checking themselves for ticks after every outdoor activity. I know someone who became seriously ill just from picking up a tick at a playground. If you check yourself, however, you can usually remove the insect before any pathogens are transmitted. I was just wondering whether or not Arizonans had to do anything similar for Valley Fever. It sounds like just being healthy is all that you really need to do.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:34 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarp1 View Post
Thanks everybody for the responses. It sounds like it's not a big deal, which I'm glad to hear.

I'm not trying to criticize Arizona in any way. Heck, I'm from the area with one of the highest rates of Lyme disease in the nation. If someone were to ask me about Lyme disease, I would tell them to get into the habit of checking themselves for ticks after every outdoor activity. I know someone who became seriously ill just from picking up a tick at a playground. If you check yourself, however, you can usually remove the insect before any pathogens are transmitted. I was just wondering whether or not Arizonans had to do anything similar for Valley Fever. It sounds like just being healthy is all that you really need to do.
Well, you probably would do well not to stand outside in a dust storm, but then that seems kind of obvious anyway. Other than that, you can't really avoid the dust that carries the spores.

Dogs get it too. In fact, I think it is worse among dogs than people maybe because they live close to and dig in the dirt. Dogs born here rarely get it, though. Or more to the point they are exposed and develop immunity when young and healthy. Best advice: move here when you are young and healthy.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:53 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Those in the real estate business who deal regularly with foreclosures have to be on the alert for mold spores; repeated exposure will get you on a 9-month treatment regimen. Fun. That's anywhere in the country. Anyone's home with an unknown leak somewhere behind a wall could be a health hazard. So fungal disease on a very mundane level is always a possibility.
Making a statement that "repeated exposure(to mold) will get you on 9-month treatment regimen" is both irresponsible and inaccurate. Statements like these often lead to irrational and unfounded concerns about mold exposure. For your information, there is no clear consensus on treatment of people exposed to indoor mold and it is controversial at best. It also depends on the type of mold exposure and whether the patient has evidence of toxicity.

Quote:
Fear out of proportion to reality is one of the defining characteristics of anxiety disorders. Her concern was clearly out of proportion to the real danger. There are 4.5 million people in the Phoenix metropolitan area. Asking someone how they can cope with living here because Valley Fever can affect someone at any given time is the very definition of fear out of proportion to reality. It's not silly to ask someone to be evaluated by a health professional. A person may not be aware of it. Controlling anxiety can help a lot of individuals lead healthier lives. Depression and anxiety disorders are relatively common. People should be aware of signs of anxiety. Not getting help is even more detrimental.

Quote:
"Fungal infections" vary considerably and should not be grouped into one category. Which fungal infections are you referring to because that will determine how it is treated and it's course. To make a generalized statement like "not really fun to deal with" is hardly informative and has little value with regard to this topic. Influenza and Cocci are unrelated. Some people may be immunocompromised and they are prone to developing infections in general not just the flu.

Quote:
The symptoms of primary coccidiomycosis are non-specific. There are no symptoms that would indicate the "usual illness" It is not something you can self-diagnose. It has no specific signs or symptoms that would lead one to believe they have it. Your meningitis analogy does not fit this scenario. The two conditions are nothing alike. Meningitis presents acutely and early diagnosis is key to successful treatment. Meningtis also presents with specific signs and symptoms ie "meningeal signs" such as nuchal rigidity (neck pain), severe photophobia, and incapicitating head pain. Valley Fever does not present in an acute fashion with specific signs and symptoms. Systemic cocci is an advanced disease that does not occur overnight.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-11-2014 at 10:59 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 10:14 PM

397 posts, read 659,895 times
4.5 million people here and stats show less than 4,000 have tested positive for it in the last 8 months. Thats 1 in 1,125 people that have contracted it, a fairly low percentage of the population.

Source: http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oids/pdf/weekly.pdf

Everyone who lives in or travels to an endemic area with Valley Fever is at risk for getting the disease. However, being part of one or more of the following may increase your risk of developing severe disease.

-People with Weakened Immune Systems
-African Americans and Filipinos
-People with Diabetes
-Pregnant Women

On average about 500 people test positive for it each month:
http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oids/pdf/mo...s-by-month.pdf

Statistically speaking you have a much better chance of catching an STD instead of Valley Fever:
http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oids/pdf/monthly.pdf

Old 08-11-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Fear out of proportion to reality is one of the defining characteristics of anxiety disorders. Her concern was clearly out of proportion to the real danger. There are 4.5 million people in the Phoenix metropolitan area. Asking someone how they can cope with living here because Valley Fever can affect someone at any given time is the very definition of fear out of proportion to reality. It's not silly to ask someone to be evaluated by a health professional. A person may not be aware of it. Controlling anxiety can help a lot of individuals lead healthier lives. What people fail to understand is that mental illness is not limited to insane individuals Depression and anxiety affect the general populace. People should be aware of signs of anxiety. Not getting help is even more detrimental.
Indeed. I read her query as an attempt to determine what an appropriate/proportional fear would be. Seems like a healthy approach to me. If one took disproportionate measures to avoid the source of fear even after determining what a proportionate response should be, then a recommendation to consider one's anxiety level might seem reasonable. Many people "control anxiety" by gathering information and making informed decisions as to what to fear/not to fear. This is not only normal, but wise and proactive.

There are a lot of behaviors one sees on message boards which might lead one to think a poster has a bit of a screw loose....but the OPs just wasn't one in my view. Simple as that. It's okay to disagree with people.

As for my broad generalities regarding fungal infections (in this case I think we were discussing respiratory involvement) my point was not to make specific diagnoses or judge whether my colleagues had received appropriate medical treatment (it's probably just anecdotal but widely known that agents who deal heavily in homes that have been vacant can and do contract respiratory issues which are believed, at least by them and their doctors, to be related to mold spore exposure; I wear a mask when I enter heavily mold affected homes because I have asthma. I don't think that makes me overly anxious, just aware of what I have been told is a risk. My clients and I have to sign a release to enter such homes, so apparently we aren't the only one who believe it poses a risk.); my point was more to agree with posts above mine, in illustrating that one can be exposed to different sorts of spores no matter where you are or what you're doing. And to say that no, it's not something to be careless about as the treatment is not a bowl of cherries, but it's treatable and most people who are not otherwise vulnerable to infection will likely survive. So the question is worth asking but carrying a fear about it or overreacting is not appropriate. I'm sorry you missed the intent of my post in that regard.

Last edited by Montanama; 08-11-2014 at 11:06 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 11:27 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Indeed. I read her query as an attempt to determine what an appropriate/proportional fear would be. Seems like a healthy approach to me. If one took disproportionate measures to avoid the source of fear even after determining what a proportionate response should be, then a recommendation to consider one's anxiety level might seem reasonable. Many people "control anxiety" by gathering information and making informed decisions as to what to fear/not to fear. This is not only normal, but wise and proactive.
These were her statements:

"How do residents deal with the fact that they're under constant exposure to the pathogen? If I move to Phoenix, am I pretty much signing myself up to contract the pathogen at some point?"

"If I breath Phoenix air for the next 10-15 years, I am pretty much guaranteed to encounter the spores? How do resident Arizonans deal with this? "

"how do residents deal with the fact that they're under constant exposure to the pathogen?"

I'm a board certified physician in Internal Medicine, and Cardiovascular disease. We are trained to assess and treat these conditions. Her question may not have suggested an anxious nature to you, because you are not trained to look for it. Her questions clearly suggest a fear out of proportion to reality which is a sign of anxiety. She already has presumptions based on fear rather than facts. And people typically would go to the CDC or another evidence based resource rather than a general moving forum if their sole purpose was to obtain information. She came here to seek affirmation not information. She wanted to be told not to worry about it by residents. All of this suggests underlying anxiety. Nonetheless, any final diagnosis of any anxiety disorder should be done in person with a formal evaluation by a board certified physician or psychologist.

Quote:
There are a lot of behaviors one sees on message boards which might lead one to think poster has a bit of a screw loose....but the OPs just wasn't one in my view. Simple as that. It's okay to disagree with people.
Having anxiety does not make one crazy or "bit of a screw loose" as you put it. The OP made specific statements that clearly suggest anxiety. Furthermore,I based my observation on her outstated fear of Lyme disease as well. People who live in Lyme endemic areas are not asked to check for ticks every time they step outdoors as she stated:"If someone were to ask me about Lyme disease, "I would tell them to get into the habit of checking themselves for ticks after every outdoor activity." People are only asked to check for ticks when they go camping or spend extended periods of time in wooded or grassy areas not after every outdoor activity.

Quote:
As for my broad generalities regarding fungal infections (in this case I think we were discussing respiratory involvement) my point was not to make specific diagnosis or judge whether my colleagues had received appropriate medical treatment; my point was more to agree with posts above mine, in illustrating that one can be exposed to different sorts of spores no matter where you are or what you're doing. And to say that no, it's not something to be careless about as the treatment is not a bowl of cherries, but it's treatable and most people who are not otherwise vulnerable to infection will likely survive.
How do you become careless in this situation? This is not a condition that someone has control over. You don't have to be outdoors or exposed to dust to develop VF. There have been no controlled studies that have shown a direct correlation with dust exposure and development of VF. The best advice one can be given is to follow up with their primary care physician for their annual physical and any necessary follow-up visits. If they start presenting with a chronic cough or other pulmonary symptoms that fail to respond on their own or to conventional treatment, they can inform their doctor and he or she can then begin the preliminary work-up.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-11-2014 at 11:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona