Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 10:09 PM

525 posts, read 279,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
I have noticed that since "official" dates have been instituted for the monsoon season, people start moaning about wanting rain a lot earlier; like June 1st. I much prefer the older, more meteorological definition of three or more consecutive days at 55 degree dewpoints. An evaporative cooler is a much better indicator than all the weather wonks put together. Over 55 degrees dewpoint, little evaporation = no cooling = monsoon season has begun.
I agree. In my opinion, the older method makes more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Agree 100%. The official "season" which the NWS established means very little in the big picture, especially the June 15th start date. We hardly ever have any kind of monsoon weather during all of June, and even the first part of July is often the same. It's usually after July 4th when the humidity increases and more storms start popping up here & there, but it really doesn't get fully established until the middle part of July.

Also, with the June 15th start date, you're correct that people start wishing for rain in June, which very rarely happens since June is the driest month of the year on average. Even when the monsoon is fully established, it's still not a guarantee that there will be rain ... in fact, some places in & around Phoenix, and much of the western part of AZ might have no rain all summer. We should be more focused the winter storm season (December through March) which produces more widespread precipitation, and is much more of a benefit to the water supplies than the summer monsoon.
June is indeed the driest month of the year and usually gets no rain at all. With what has happened in the past though, you can never completely rule out the possibility of a significant rain event during the month. It could've very well been what made the NWS establish June 15th as the official first day of the monsoon season.

As we've said before, the wettest June on record was 1972 with 1.7 inches of rain. I will tell you that I was surprised that the three days of dew points of 55 degrees or higher didn't even occur until July 13th that year. This came after it had come very close to occurring on June 5th. Even the second-wettest June on record (1955) came close to having a start date earlier than the 15th (it nearly began on June 12th that year). Had the monsoon season officially started on either June 5th or June 12th, the NWS would've without a doubt had to take a different approach to what the official first day of the monsoon season should be. Who knows? They might've just made it June 1st had that been the case.

Yeah the thunderstorms and moisture don't usually reach the Valley until the beginning of July. These last two years have nearly been right on the money with the average start date of July 7th. It started July 9th last year, and July 8th this year if you use the old school method.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Dust storm in Chandler...now I have to clean out the pool again.../sigh
There was a dust storm at my house in Tempe as well. This came after we hit 115 degrees with 8% humidity.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Here's hoping that every place in Arizona which needs moisture from Monsoon rains will receive them!
Agreed, considering how parched Arizona has been since August of last year.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
It didn't last long. Oh well, maybe next time.

What it did though was bring out some ugly little bugs, which swarmed my stoop. And this morning there was a huge spider out there. Tried to find out what it was but couldn't find the exact thing when I googled spiders. Never saw anything like that in Minnesota. Big body, black or dark brown. The legs were smaller than the body.

Anyway, I sprayed the little bugs last night & the spider this morning. The huge died, the spider disappeared in the crevices. Hope it dies & doesn't retaliate.

Normally I let outside things be unless they invade my space, but this was an invasion on my patio.

I hate bugs.
July 8th is when the monsoon season officially started if you use the old school method.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:24 PM

We did get off to a great start here in the Valley. However, we haven't had any significant rain as of late. Hopefully we can get a lot of rain sometime soon. We can't afford another letdown like we had last year.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:42 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Trying to get your post count up? Geesh!

Old 07-26-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Trying to get your post count up? Geesh!
Not really. Just giving my responses to statements that I agree with.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:52 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
It's thundering. Fingers crossed. It's messing with my internet though.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:56 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,017 times
Distant thunder, scattered drops last night. Not much really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona