Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 10:27 PM

7,048 posts, read 6,300,442 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I would have had the career choices I had it I would have moved here before I retired. I grew up & lived in Minnesota most of my life & had options I'm not sure I would have had here.

Since you're from Canada you know of the seasonal changes & could adjust to them fairly easily. I will say though, I've found Arizona to be a beautiful place to live. I would think it would depend on where the best employment opportunities are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 07:13 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,094,536 times
As different as Chicago and Arizona are, one has to wonder about the question in the first place. Especially, forgive me, from a new poster.

But, seriously, Arizona is a terrible place, you'll love Chicago much better I am sure.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:38 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,501,432 times
New Mexico is a terrible place as well.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:50 PM

186 posts, read 195,540 times
Illinois is terribler . . .

Old 09-20-2018, 08:01 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,672 times
Why wait till you retire? You're old, maybe dead.
Go where you wanna be, don't hang everything on a career, just be happy. And to be happy, you don't need money.
When you think you need money to be happy, you will never be happy, simple.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:23 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Why wait till you retire? You're old, maybe dead.
Go where you wanna be, don't hang everything on a career, just be happy. And to be happy, you don't need money.
When you think you need money to be happy, you will never be happy, simple.
I'm happier now that I have money than when I didn't.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:30 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,603 times
Ones too hot and the others too cold. Simple eh

Old 09-22-2018, 01:21 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,712,828 times
I was born and raised in Chicago and moved to AZ. I would still be in IL if a job opportunity didn’t come along. Chicago has ridiculously high taxes, horrible politicians, and of course the winters. However Chicago is a world class city for a reason. Anything you want to do is there, and if you can’t find something you’re beyond picky.. AZ has great weather and lower taxes. You can get a home, in most areas, for cheap...or at least cheaper then IL. I don’t miss the winters, but I do miss the availability of just about everything. It really depends on are you looking fir rural or urban?

Old 09-22-2018, 11:48 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENTWOOD1 View Post
Hello I am a Canadian who recently relocated to San Jose to marry an American. We don't love San Jose and so are looking to relocate. We are moving by December. My husband is from Chicago and his family all lives there. I just can't fully get on board with moving to Chicago for some reason. We are also exploring Arizona. Right now we are trying to weigh out the options and decide which state is better for us between Illinois and Arizona, but we just can't seem to get anywhere. We are both 28. I would love to hear any and all advice. Thanks!
I was born and raised in rural AZ's desert and had a hard time in the midwest for my undergraduate college. The winters were very, very long, extremely cold, gray, and just plain gloomy. I attended a very elite undergraduate university - the school of my HS dreams. But the weather quickly eroded my enthusiasm after the first year. I could not handle long periods without regular sunlight like in my home state - AZ. Chicago is also flat with no mountains. Eventually, I came to prefer warmer states. I have also lived in FL and TX. I returned to AZ over a year ago and have been euphoric.

My take is if you want to do outdoor activities like jogging, hiking, swimming, golfing, tennis, etc. more frequently throughout the year, then you should choose AZ. The job market in Phoenix is roaring hot right now. I am an engineer with multiple graduate degrees, and there are openings throughout Metro Phoenix. For a young couple, you may enjoy Chandler and Gilbert or West Phoenix. There are many jobs here. I have had co-workers who moved here from Chicago.

The main thing that hurts a lot of people would be the weather and culture. Some people never get used to the extreme heat of the summer. It is harsh for a few months. But as one poster noted, you could easily drive an hour away to escape the heat. I usually go to Flagstaff or the White Mountains in the summer - higher altitudes with pine trees. Winter does get cold in Northern AZ and above the Mogollon Rim towards the Four Corners but Phoenix is mild. Tucson is also a great place with somewhat cooler temperatures but still in the hot desert.

Illinois is one of the states that has more people leaving than entering. My coworkers from Chicago told me Uhaul gets more orders to leave than stay. The job market is strong, but housing can get expensive, and Chicago is a very segregated city with racial tension. The "white flight" pattern is strong, and the racial tension of the midwest suburbs of cities like Chicago exceeds the "Deep South" like rural Alabama and North FL (in my opinion). Chicago does have an unwritten rule of neighborhoods that (known to locals) is pretty much whites only comprised of the "white flight" demographics prevalent in recent decades. I just had to point that out because one poster made it seem like it was rich in "culture" when it is actually segregated into white neighborhoods.

Chicago suburbs seeing white flight

Old 09-23-2018, 08:08 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,251,102 times
Many flee the high costs for housing and insurance by moving to Northwest Indiana. There's been talk of a rapid transit system for decades. As far as I know it's still talk. Commuting is a nightmare.

OP, I suggest you read through the posts on the Northwest Indiana forum here on C-D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona