Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 09:09 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times

Advertisements

The entire SW region of the USA will be uninhabitable by 2050.

Arizona is the most terrible state out of all of them.

Chicago is like.....Eden.....and Utopia....all wrapped up in one.

Fort Wayne is nice this time of year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 09:24 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I was born and raised in rural AZ's desert and had a hard time in the midwest for my undergraduate college. The winters were very, very long, extremely cold, gray, and just plain gloomy. I attended a very elite undergraduate university - the school of my HS dreams. But the weather quickly eroded my enthusiasm after the first year. I could not handle long periods without regular sunlight like in my home state - AZ. Chicago is also flat with no mountains. Eventually, I came to prefer warmer states. I have also lived in FL and TX. I returned to AZ over a year ago and have been euphoric.

My take is if you want to do outdoor activities like jogging, hiking, swimming, golfing, tennis, etc. more frequently throughout the year, then you should choose AZ. The job market in Phoenix is roaring hot right now. I am an engineer with multiple graduate degrees, and there are openings throughout Metro Phoenix. For a young couple, you may enjoy Chandler and Gilbert or West Phoenix. There are many jobs here. I have had co-workers who moved here from Chicago.

The main thing that hurts a lot of people would be the weather and culture. Some people never get used to the extreme heat of the summer. It is harsh for a few months. But as one poster noted, you could easily drive an hour away to escape the heat. I usually go to Flagstaff or the White Mountains in the summer - higher altitudes with pine trees. Winter does get cold in Northern AZ and above the Mogollon Rim towards the Four Corners but Phoenix is mild. Tucson is also a great place with somewhat cooler temperatures but still in the hot desert.

Illinois is one of the states that has more people leaving than entering. My coworkers from Chicago told me Uhaul gets more orders to leave than stay. The job market is strong, but housing can get expensive, and Chicago is a very segregated city with racial tension. The "white flight" pattern is strong, and the racial tension of the midwest suburbs of cities like Chicago exceeds the "Deep South" like rural Alabama and North FL (in my opinion). Chicago does have an unwritten rule of neighborhoods that (known to locals) is pretty much whites only comprised of the "white flight" demographics prevalent in recent decades. I just had to point that out because one poster made it seem like it was rich in "culture" when it is actually segregated into white neighborhoods.

Chicago suburbs seeing white flight
What was your undergraduate University? Your description matches the weather over Notre Dame quite well

Old 09-23-2018, 09:39 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,735 times
28-year-olds belong in CHICAGO.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:31 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
Chicago is like.....Eden.....and Utopia....all wrapped up in one.

Facetious much?

Old 09-25-2018, 08:26 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENTWOOD1 View Post
Hello I am a Canadian who recently relocated to San Jose to marry an American. We don't love San Jose and so are looking to relocate. We are moving by December. My husband is from Chicago and his family all lives there. I just can't fully get on board with moving to Chicago for some reason. We are also exploring Arizona. Right now we are trying to weigh out the options and decide which state is better for us between Illinois and Arizona, but we just can't seem to get anywhere. We are both 28. I would love to hear any and all advice. Thanks!
Where were you in Canada? Wet Vancouver or snowy Edmonton? What (other than the American) were you running from that made you leave Canada?

Given the deteriorating political situation in the US, I think you might be better served by returning to Canada, perhaps Toronto, where you can sponsor your spouse - and then you'd be close-ish to the spouse's family. Closeness - especially when in-laws are concerned - is relative. Sometimes a smidgen of distance is helpful.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:24 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Chicago cons: laughable taxes, winter weather (unless you like snow), toll roads, heavy crime in bad areas, notoriously corrupt Dems, high humidity at times, monstrous storms (which I have to admit are pretty awesome), some horribly bad streets.

Chicago pros: endless nightlife/festivals/events, world's best architecture, 4 seasons (if that's your thing), better, more plentiful, and higher paying jobs, endless burbs to choose from, abundant freshwater, awesome PT, amazing culture, and a foodie's dream come true.

AZ cons: obnoxious and elongated summer heat (in the low elevations), upcoming water issues, bad air quality, rising housing costs (its not cheap anymore), worst drivers you might ever encounter, high auto insurance costs and registration fees, lack of 4 seasons in the low elevations (if that bothers you), monsoon heat coupled with monsoon humidty (its a nasty combo).
AZ pros: cheaper property taxes, pro 2nd Amendment, live and let live vibes, excellent roads for the most part, no toll roads, not really any natural disasters, endless sun (can be a burden at times), no rust issues on cars (just paint fading and plastic cracking instead), beautiful mountains, cooler elevations to escape to for the weekend in summer, great Mexican food, and pretty decent suburbs.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:42 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Chicago cons: corrupt Dems
In the interests of fairness, and since I'm not a member of either of the two major legacy parties, it must be stated for the record that Arizona has had quite the record of corrupt Republicans.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:34 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,251,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
In the interests of fairness, and since I'm not a member of either of the two major legacy parties, it must be stated for the record that Arizona has had quite the record of corrupt Republicans.

Bet it's less than the number of corrupt Dems in Illinois

Old 09-26-2018, 09:53 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
W/o turning this into a political debate, in my personal opinion ALL politicians are corrupt in some form or another. But the IL Democratic Party is infamous. Worst of the worst. They've run Chicago and the state into the ground. It was once a great place to live.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:24 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,922,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
W/o turning this into a political debate, in my personal opinion ALL politicians are corrupt in some form or another. But the IL Democratic Party is infamous. Worst of the worst. They've run Chicago and the state into the ground. It was once a great place to live.
best quote of the week on the internet..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona