Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 11:59 AM

125 posts, read 159,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
I've only been here a couple of months ago but love it so far. I will take the bad (for me, the politics; not bad enough IMO to be a deal-breaker. No hater comments, please!) with the good; one thing we came to realize when looking for a place to retire is that no place is perfect... I moved here from Colorado; love Colorado but the Denver area is too crowded and winters are too cold.
i'm curious, what don't you like about the politics? Thats part of the reason we left California, political environment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 03:35 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
Well, I am a California native, born and bred there from 1960 to about 1996 or so. As a child, my family came out west here to Arizona very often, the first trip I remember was in 1964 or so. I have a picture of my dad and Barry Goldwater wearing cowboy hats and drinking out of long neck bottles. I learned early on how terrible™️ Arizona can be. I think that was in Flagstaff, where I was also kidnapped by an Apache warrior to ride on his shoulders for a piece of the parade there (while my mom took pictures). Oh, the terror!

And it just continued for years almost every summer. Oak Creek. Sedona. Jerome. Slide Rock. North Rim a few times. South Rim just once. Many other places that I cannot remember as well, I am sure. I tell ya, it was torture and just terrible™️! Finally, around 1971 my family took a camping trip to the worst part of this terrible™️ state; the White Mountains of Arizona and Hawley Lake. Now that area just sucks.

Sucks so much that I decided to go there as an adult as well in 1991. I hated it, but since Arizona is so terrible™️ it sucked a weak minded deplorable like me right into it and when I escaped the C.S.S.R. in 1997, I came straight here with about $500 to my name. Got sucked into a terrible job. Then I had to do some more growing up and ended up moving out of state for a fair piece.

But then, to prove how terrible™️ Arizona is, I moved back; and then to the most terrible part of the state again. Where all there are is racists, tweakers and LDS. Where I did get a well paying job again and quickly. Yup, I cannot stand Arizona.

So, yeah, go to California where the grass is greener (we're working on that), and the sun always shines.

And to prove my terrible™️ my opinion is of Arizona, just take a peek at this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...not-think.html

Old 07-13-2019, 04:28 PM

555 posts, read 595,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc3zny View Post
i'm curious, what don't you like about the politics? Thats part of the reason we left California, political environment
I'm a "liberal" living in a sea of "conservatives" here in Yavapai County. But hey, it's all good.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:56 PM

116 posts, read 284,602 times
Default No regrets

Retired here from MI 10 years ago. Yup, summers are hot, but I compare it to winters in MI. No slush, snow, slipping and sliding, shoveling, scraping cars, heavy clothes and boots. By comparison, live in air conditioning in both places during summers. Can’t run out of house on cold days in winter in a hoodie back in MI. Sunshine most days in AZ. LOVING IT!

Old 07-14-2019, 10:47 PM

27 posts, read 37,565 times
I am not yet a resident/transplant, and its probably along the lines of a year and a half away from actually doing anything...(probably a year from seriously looking).... When I went out today, it was 102* on the readout on the dash of my truck. It was 104* in the Garage at my house.This is in the San Fernando Valley. I have lived here most all of my life, and although it seems to have gotten hotter over the years, I don't think Prescott is going to be any worse. I won't ever bash California, I still have to have an address here, but I don't have to agree with its politics. If AZ provides me with a place to do what I wanted to do in retirement, then that's all I will ask of it.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 AM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
I'm a "liberal" living in a sea of "conservatives" here in Yavapai County. But hey, it's all good.
I can appreciate that feeling, because I was the polar opposite in SF Bay Area.

In your new neighborhood, does everyone talk to you assuming you are the same as their political majority, not even thinking for a moment you might have a different view on things?

Do you feel like you are the only one left in the 'closet', hiding your views and lifestyle from others?

Do you feel like you have exactly zero voice in government and legislation? That every law comes down on taking away rights and activities you like to do, just because the political majority doesn't partake in those?

If so, GOOD, now you know how I felt for a couple of decades in the reverse situation.
Just kidding, hopefully your new neighbors are friendly and not angry and annoying and whiney like mine were in California about politics.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:32 PM

555 posts, read 595,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
I can appreciate that feeling, because I was the polar opposite in SF Bay Area.

In your new neighborhood, does everyone talk to you assuming you are the same as their political majority, not even thinking for a moment you might have a different view on things?

Do you feel like you are the only one left in the 'closet', hiding your views and lifestyle from others?

Do you feel like you have exactly zero voice in government and legislation? That every law comes down on taking away rights and activities you like to do, just because the political majority doesn't partake in those?

If so, GOOD, now you know how I felt for a couple of decades in the reverse situation.
Just kidding, hopefully your new neighbors are friendly and not angry and annoying and whiney like mine were in California about politics.
I'm not the type to do a lot of socializing with my neighbors nor do I talk politics with them; problem solved.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:08 AM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
well, let's all try and keep Arizona unlike those areas that we moved away from!

Old 07-16-2019, 12:14 PM

848 posts, read 966,559 times
Wife does, I don't. She can't handle the heat. So we'll eventually need to move away. Not looking forward to it.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:06 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,986 times
Going on 6 years and both my wife and I couldn't imagine leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona