Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 07:55 PM

1,336 posts, read 928,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I grew up in So. Cal in the 60's. What a great place to grow up. The beaches, orange groves all over the place, the deserts and mountains, it was an incredible place to live. Along about the mid 80's there just seemed to be a change in the place and in the vibe. It just started to feel differently to me so I moved to Oregon. It took 20 years but Oregon changed over time. I can't say it was political but it does seem to fit the time lines.
I still have family in So. Cal. My daughter and sister in law live there. I always get a little excited when I go visit and every time my excitement is dashed even before I get to my destination. Traffic even in the little small towns. Traffic all day, all night. Horrible drivers, rude people.
Once I get there, then I realize why I left in the first place. Over priced housing, expensive EVERYTHING, high taxes, horrible roads and mean people and just general lawlessness.
To me, there just isn't anything to do in California. Too crowded to do anything fun and parking is a nightmare.
I was just there a few weeks ago. My daughter asked me to work on a motorhome because her inlaws were living with them because they no longer could afford housing and were going to live in a motorhome full time. Once I got there, I spent a week fixing the place up for them and I couldn't wait to get back home. California just isn't for me. I loved it as a kid but it's been destroyed from the inside. There is no amount of money that could lead me to move to California or Oregon for that matter. Oregon was great for many years but it too is getting too crazy for my tastes. I'll never go back to live in either state.
I spent 25 years in each state so I'm guessing that Arizona might be my last stand. I truly love it here and there isn't enough money in the world to get me to move back.
Arizona????? You're stuck with me.
Arizona reminds me a lot of the California of my youth.
I love all the desert lakes, the mountains so close by, the open desert where a guy can still go and be left alone if he chooses. The road trips that are available, the history and the western vibe. All of that is very exciting to me.
Nope, you can have California.
I like Arizona just the way it is.

Just leave Arizona alone if you don't mind.
I arrived to SoCal (oh, I'm sorry Tulemutt, Southern California) back in the early 80s, and I agree, today's Arizona is much like Cali (sic) back then. But then the liberals somehow invaded and things went south fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 08:09 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,220,137 times
If there's another "Great Recession", you wonder how that will affect economic conditions/cost of living in California.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:45 PM

402 posts, read 613,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Gets old
No mods shut it down. Kills many otherwise good threads eventually.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:18 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
Hello all - this is your new moderator, here to say please CUT IT OUT with the politics. We all know AZ is conservative and CA is liberal. No need for one to bash the other, or for the two states to be compared as far as politics. If you want to debate politics, we have a forum especially for that purpose. http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

And even that contentious forum has this as one of its guidelines - "You do not have the right to put down others' beliefs, religious or otherwise."

In the future, infractions will be given out for politics on this forum. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:31 AM

872 posts, read 1,000,064 times
Came for ASU in 2007 stayed till 2014, had a hiatus out of state but worked my way back here for 2017

This is home

Now that my parent's moved out 2 years ago, it really is HOME

Old 07-25-2019, 08:05 PM

994 posts, read 968,951 times
I spent 2 months in the valley to check it out . Also all over AZ when hiking , mainly in Payson because it was piney. I wasn't working at the time with Uber and Lyft being my only income. No positions I applied for called me back. I started to get tired of the desert landscape , didnt want to deal with scorpions even though I didn't see any , and really really miss the Pine forest and green of Western NC and TN where I'm from . I talked myself into saying that I hated the desert and so worked my way back to the Carolinas . Now I wish I would have stayed , As I dont miss the green as much as I use to . If I would have had a normal job then I wouldn't have had to look at the desert through a windshield all day. I will return to the valley or SE FL sometime soon .

Old 07-25-2019, 08:09 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Came for ASU in 2007 stayed till 2014, had a hiatus out of state but worked my way back here for 2017

This is home

Now that my parent's moved out 2 years ago, it really is HOME
It’s funny you say this. I was born and raised here, moved away but came back a few years ago. In the meantime my folks left and now it’s more home than it ever was

Old 07-26-2019, 07:12 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
If there's another "Great Recession", you wonder how that will affect economic conditions/cost of living in California.
California has a pension time bomb. Cali has something like 3 trillion in pension debt. That trillion with a "T". They are already trying to get the Jarvis act rescinded and now free medical care for non citizens? Who pays for that?
California isn't going to need a recession. It's going to implode on its own and when it happens, it's gonna get ugly.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:16 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
California has a pension time bomb. Cali has something like 3 trillion in pension debt. That trillion with a "T". They are already trying to get the Jarvis act rescinded and now free medical care for non citizens? Who pays for that?
California isn't going to need a recession. It's going to implode on its own and when it happens, it's gonna get ugly.
Yes and they aren't the only ones. Illinois or New Jersey will probably be the first to fall unless Cali completely opens the door to millions of illegals and initiates welfare and other services for them. I have plenty of family in Cali and they have a love/hate relationship wit the state living there....great if you can afford it and not so great otherwise.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:26 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yes and they aren't the only ones. Illinois or New Jersey will probably be the first to fall unless Cali completely opens the door to millions of illegals and initiates welfare and other services for them. I have plenty of family in Cali and they have a love/hate relationship wit the state living there....great if you can afford it and not so great otherwise.
Yes, and when it comes time to pay the bills, Californians will be hit with taxes like have never been imagined.
Anyway, I don't regret moving here at all. Not one tiny bit. Best thing I've ever done and so far, I can't imagine living anywhere else. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona