Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 04:51 AM

14 posts, read 7,747 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, im looking to relocate to arizona with my family. Im married with 4 children. My husband and I are looking for a fresh start. We are not too familiar with arizona, we are looking for a decent area ( no ghettos ) to raise our children. We really want to buy but we are open to renting please let us know what are some good cities and what areas we should avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 05:40 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,472,476 times
Spend a few weekends scouting the area first. Come out right now so you know what summer feels like.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:26 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzzford916 View Post
Hello everyone, im looking to relocate to arizona with my family. Im married with 4 children. My husband and I are looking for a fresh start. We are not too familiar with arizona, we are looking for a decent area ( no ghettos ) to raise our children. We really want to buy but we are open to renting please let us know what are some good cities and what areas we should avoid.
What kind of a budget do you have, do you need to find jobs and if so what are your work fields, do you want to be in a rural area or city, what climate is your preference?

My opinion is that Scottsdale, Gilbert, Chandler in the Phoenix area are fantastic suburbs with low crime, better public schools, etc. Oro Valley, Vail, and Marana are nice suburbs of Tucson that have similar qualities.

I agree with an earlier poster that suggested a visit during the summer so you can feel how hot it is to decide if you want to make the jump from Cali to Arizona.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:34 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Please don't call it Cali! It's not the same as "Zonie" which is a fun play on Arizona. I was a lifelong resident of California until recently, California was never called Cali until very recently. It grates the ears of most lifers.

All good questions otherwise.

I'd advise against renting. Prices are only going up. Where I live now prices have literally gone up $100K in just 8 months.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:52 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Please don't call it Cali! It's not the same as "Zonie" which is a fun play on Arizona. I was a lifelong resident of California until recently, California was never called Cali until very recently. It grates the ears of most lifers.

All good questions otherwise.

I'd advise against renting. Prices are only going up. Where I live now prices have literally gone up $100K in just 8 months.
Why is calling California Cali so objectionable and why do you expect others to call something the same as what you call it? I don't mean anything negative when I say Cali which I don't think is true in many cases when people from Cali call Arizonans Zonnies. I said Cali because it's easier to type than California and everyone knows what it means (yes I know there is a city by that name in Columbia)

On the renting versus buying question, I think that just depends on the situation of the person including how sure you're going to reside in a location for a significant amount of time, financial position, expectation of house prices and rents in the future, etc. Elon Musk rents and he seems pretty intelligent.

p.s. I own a couple of houses in Phoenix so I'm fine if it keeps on rising.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:09 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Why is calling California Cali so objectionable and why do you expect others to call something the same as what you call it? I don't mean anything negative when I say Cali which I don't think is true in many cases when people from Cali call Arizonans Zonnies. I said Cali because it's easier to type than California and everyone knows what it means (yes I know there is a city by that name in Columbia)

On the renting versus buying question, I think that just depends on the situation of the person including how sure you're going to reside in a location for a significant amount of time, financial position, expectation of house prices and rents in the future, etc. Elon Musk rents and he seems pretty intelligent.

p.s. I own a couple of houses in Phoenix so I'm fine if it keeps on rising.
It was in the mid 90's due to a Notorious BIG (a NYC rapper) lyric calling it Cali instead of California that started the whole thing

Old 06-16-2021, 08:27 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It was in the mid 90's due to a Notorious BIG (a NYC rapper) lyric calling it Cali instead of California that started the whole thing
Was that before or after LL Cool J was "Going back to Cali"?

Old 06-16-2021, 08:30 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Was that before or after LL Cool J was "Going back to Cali"?
BIG had the same phrase, and BIG was more popular than LL ever was

Old 06-16-2021, 08:33 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzzford916 View Post
Big state...lots of options...biggest ones, like we tell everyone

1) Area of Employment
2) Budget
3) Tolerance for Education variance (if you plan to send the kids to public schools)
4) Climate preference. AZ has anywhere from burning deserts to plains, farmland, high plains up to Tundra (top of Mt Elden). Climate varies from some of the hottest areas in the US to one of the top 3 snow belts and the largest contiguous Ponderosa Pine forests in the US.

May want to narrow down what you are looking for.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:03 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
No offense, but this is how Californians got a reputation for being...um...sensitive. They actually dictate to others which words they can and cannot use in their hearing.

I lived in California for more than 40 years. This^ is one of the reasons we moved to Arizona. We were here two years before a friendly soul gently corrected our pronunciation of "saguaro" and "cholla". It was much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona