Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:05 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,298,275 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this one. Live in Sedona/VOC and commute from Prescott 4 days a week. Work schedule would be 4 ~10 hr shifts. I figure it would be 1.5 hrs a day which would be 12 hrs a week on the road. If I worked a 5 day a week job, 1 hr from work it would be 10 hrs. So, is it that bad?

How about in the Winter? Are the roads bad in Prescott?

The Hub was offered a job in Precott but as soon as a position come up in Cottonwood they will move him. Of course, he also could get stuck in Prescott for a long time.

We do have a Prius that gets about 45-48 mpg so it would be about 2.75 gallons a day.

Opinions please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 05:02 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
The roads won't give you all that much trouble, and it's scenic, but I would sure get tired of all the driving after a while.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 PM

Do you think it would be horrible to do it 4 X a week? This is, for now, is the only way we can move to Sedona. So it's either this or we can't move there.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:00 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,858 times
I'm a little confused, just because the scenario is opposite of what usually happens. Usually we see people living in Cottonwood and commuting to Sedona because the cost of living is significantly less in Cottonwood than Sedona.

Or we see a few people living in Prescott Valley and commuting to Cottonwood because that's where they were able to find a job, but the prefer living in the Prescott area (plus last time I checked housing was cheaper in Prescott Valley than Cottonwood).

So it is kind of unusual for somebody to live in Sedona where the cost of living is the highest and commute to either Cottonwood or Prescott/Prescott Valley for work. Most people just can't afford to do that, although Sedona is definitely a beautiful place to live if you can. Where do you live now, and have you been able to find affordable housing in Sedona?

Old 10-10-2008, 02:39 PM

Hi Gretchen~ We live in Ohio and have sold our home and found several affordable rentals in Sedona. We want to rent until this market stabilizes.

My husband is a Pharmacist and the position he was offered is in Precott. So that is the only option now. But if a position comes open in another area closer, then they will transfer him. For now, it is the offer he was presented with. I am a Medical Consultant so I work from my home so I don't have to travel for work.

He thinks the drive won't be bad because he is driving 1 hr a day here in Ohio (each way) so this is just adding 20 min each way to the drive but he will only have to work 4 days a week.

I just don't know if it will get to be too much for him. He says NO,but I was just looking for others opinions who live there.

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:58 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,858 times
Hi Jenny - well it sounds like you do have a great situation for living in Sedona. Congratulations! There are a lot of folks envying that - Sedona is a beautiful place. Is your DH's job in Prescott proper (vs Prescott Valley)? Actually the drive from Prescott Valley into Prescott will probably seem to be the longest part of the drive, although they are starting work on the road from Cottonwood to Camp Verde, so that could be slow going, too.

One thing about it, it is a really pretty drive. I've had to go to Sedona for a few classes, and I've loved looking out in the morning sunlight and seeing the hot air balloons taking off against the backdrop of the Red Rocks.

One alternative if the weather is nice is to take 89A across Mingus Mountain through Jerome. Depending on where exactly in Prescott your husband's job is, it might almost be a little shorter because you can take the 89A bypass and then Willow Creek Rd into Prescott.

For me, the drive from SE of Prescott Valley (Prescott Country Club area) to Sedona takes about 1-1/4 hour if I remember correctly. I know I always allowed 1-1/2 hour and did just fine. However, driving all the way into Prescott is going to add a good 30 - 40 minutes onto your husband's drive, depending on where exactly he's working.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:34 PM

Hi Gretchen~
I'm not 100% sure where it is but I think it is Prescott and not Prescott Valley. Geeze I do hope it is not it is not 30-40 more minutes UGH. It is on Willow Creek Rd. in Prescott and we intend to live by the Y in Sedona. Mapquest says it is 56 miles and 1 hr and 33 min. Does that sound accurate?

I never thoought about the hot air balloons in the AM, that will give him something to look at. It would just be boring at night when he is driving home and it will be dark.

Maybe he will get there and then get transferred to another position. They are promising him that they will.

I am going to print your reply so he will have your comments about Jerome. I think he might be alittle nervous about driving on the mountain at night. We only went to Jerome once and it seemed like it was hanging off a cliff. I just remember the stores looked a little shakey hanging off the mountains. LOL

I know our situation isn't "perfect" but hey, it's allowing us to live in Sedona so for that, we are SOOOO excited. Once the market gets stabilized, then we will buy a house.

I offered my husband for us to live in Prescott because I love that area too but we both love the red rocks so He said he will drive to work so we can live in Sedona

Thanks for your comments

Old 10-14-2008, 02:58 PM

96 posts, read 532,780 times
"Split" the difference. Live in Dewey or Camp Verde

Old 10-14-2008, 03:09 PM

Oh I know we should But Sedona is why we are moving to Arizona.We don't want to be near by, we want to wake up and see the red rocks. We are taking about a 50% cut in wages to live in Arizona in the first place so that is hard enough, but at least the red rocks would be our reward. If we take the cut and have to drive on our off day to see them, it's just not the same

I know you are right, but I want to act like I didn't hear it! LOL

Old 10-14-2008, 05:14 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Hi Jenny, I just noticed this post.

I wouldn't do that commute if you paid me...it is a LONG haul! I find it tiring to do once every couple of weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona