Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 04:34 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,341,713 times

Advertisements

Hi all...
Been reading up on the seasonal monsoons. From what I have read, it
seems the further south, southeast area's of Arizona get it the worst. Does
the elevation of a city/town come into play with the monsoons? We have been
in many storms.. thunder/lighting storms, snow/ice storms, and severe wind storms.
I was wondering about the sandstorms that come along with the monsoons. I have
seen a few pictures of them that look very severe and very intimidating/scary.
How does Mohave County fare when it comes to these seasonal sandstorms/monsoons?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,586 times
I fear someone has misled you. The Arizona version of a monsoon is a good thing, not something scary. If you happen to be out on a golf course or something, you might have some reason to be wary of the lightning, but these storms are not like hurricanes or tornadoes. They're just short, heavy downpours that wash the heat and dust out of the air just when we need it. When they result in destruction at all, it's usually of something ramshackle that was on the verge of collapse all along. I think most Arizonans love 'em, and would not really want us to be without them.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:04 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Yes. Monsoons are great. There aren't sandstorms - the big clouds in the pictures are dust. Both elevation and location factor in. The farther southeast the more frequent they are. They are also frequent, almost daily, in the mountains north and east of Phoenix. Sometimes these storms "slide off" the mountains into the deserts. The lower deserts have the most violent ones because of the rapid temperature change but they are less frequent. Monsoons are few and far between in far SW Arizona, but they do occur, primarily near mountain ranges.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:27 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Yeah I agree that the monsoon storms are AMAZING - and we LOVED watching them. It IS true however that they CAN be dangerous. During one of the storms when we were in Tucson last July/August 3 people were washed away in their cars and 2 of them drowned. The issue dangerwise is that the rain comes down so hard so suddenly that it can't soak in and instead becomes flash floods. The winds can also be very violent (power was knocked out to much of Tucson for several hours).

Still, they are wonderful to watch and really freshen the air and cool things off.

As a general rule these storms are highly localized and usually start off over the various small scattered mountain ranges then fan out from there. In SE Arizona this means they start out over the Catalinas, Whetstones, Rincons etc in the late afternoon and evenings with the result that there are scattered storms about but not over EVERY range EVERY night.

Ken

Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times
And in central Phoenix the monsoons are terrific. No rain, but terrific. Blowing down palm fronds everywhere, dust all over the place. Guaranteed to occur immediatly after washing the car.

Lord B is right, the southeastern part of the state, specifically Sierra Vista/Fort Huachuca area gets incredibly beautiful storms over the Huachucas.
But really, compared to the midwest thunderstorms, all we really get is wet a little.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:57 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,341,713 times
Default Hey Rambrush or Kdog

Hey guys... you guys should be able to give a good explanation on this??

Been reading up on the seasonal monsoons. From what I have read, it
seems the further south, southeast area's of Arizona get it the worst. Does
the elevation of a city/town come into play with the monsoons? We have been
in many storms.. thunder/lighting storms, snow/ice storms, and severe wind storms.
I was wondering about the sandstorms that come along with the monsoons. I have
seen a few pictures of them that look very severe and very intimidating/scary.
How does Mohave County fare when it comes to these seasonal sandstorms/monsoons?
Is the sand/dust storms really that bad in Kingman?
We have spent a few winters in Arizona and Nevada, just have not been there durring
the windy dusty summer monsoon season. The thunderstorms are of no concern...
but the dust/sand storms is what we really want more info on.. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Monsoons are one of my very favorite things about living in AZ and I missed them when I left for a few years. I am up in Sedona and they are great up here. I think they get much less rain in the Phoenix area with their monsoons.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 PM

266 posts, read 286,372 times
The most monsoon thunderstorms in Arizona occur in the mountains and the southeastern corner of the state, becoming less frequent in the deserts and as you move west from southeastern Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona